Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Fumoto oil drain valve

Has anyone replaced their factory oil drain plug on their F53 chassis with a Fumoto oil drain valve? If you have what, what model number did you use? F106N maybe, 14mm -1.5. My FR3 is a 2015 but my chassis is a 2014.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
Too old to be too smart

I installed a Fumoto on my truck a decade ago and haven't looked back.

1. No more worries about over-torquing the plug and stripping the threads.

2. Makes sampling for oil analysis duck-soup-simple.

3. Far less mess when draining the oil, especially if you add a short length of hose to it. However, it takes more time to drain since the opening is smaller, but I put up with that minor inconvenience.

Sorry, but I can't speak to your specific application.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #3

I had them on my oil pan and coolant drains on my F350 check their web for the one you need you will really like it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
I installed a Fumoto on my truck a decade ago and haven't looked back.

1. No more worries about over-torquing the plug and stripping the threads.

2. Makes sampling for oil analysis duck-soup-simple.

3. Far less mess when draining the oil, especially if you add a short length of hose to it. However, it takes more time to drain since the opening is smaller, but I put up with that minor inconvenience.

Sorry, but I can't speak to your specific application.

Pop

Thanks Pop
Good to know! I'll wait for an FR3 owner who has installed one hopefully.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

I put a F106-SX fumoto valve on my FR3. I like it because it allows avoiding draining on the axle. I can drain into a gallon jug. The only downside is that is drains slower than removing a drain plug.
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #6

I installed them on all my 3 vehicles...they are awesome!
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogq View Post
I put a F106-SX fumoto valve on my FR3. I like it because it allows avoiding draining on the axle. I can drain into a gallon jug. The only downside is that is drains slower than removing a drain plug.

Thanks Hogq!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Yeah, Fumoto site says any variant of the F-106 valve will work. We use them on all our vehicles, just makes all of our oil changes slightly easier.

Search Results | Fumoto® Engine Oil Drain Valves
Old 09-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #9

Yes, I used the -SX variant because it is a through-bolt design and it allows rotating the fumoto valve discharge port, I did want the outlet to not hang below the oil pan, and secondarily I just wanted to make sure it would clear everything.
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Old 09-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I had them on my oil pan and coolant drains on my F350 check their web for the one you need you will really like it.
x2 and still have them.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #11

Bright side

Quote:
Look at the bright side ;<) No hot oil on your hand and no more dropped drain plugs!
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #12

Well, not pouring oil all over the ground, and creating a grimy mess is a plus. I change oil every 3000 miles, even though it is synthetic. Thing is; dirt kills gas engines, and synthetic oil gets just as dirty, just as fast as non-synthetic.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #13

For those of you with Fumoto valves...have you ever removed the valve to see how much additional oil drains out?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
For those of you with Fumoto valves...have you ever removed the valve to see how much additional oil drains out?
The hollow bolt on my valve extends about 1\4 inch into the oil pan. About an ounce of oil might remain in the pan. It's probably far less than the amount trapped in the lifters, galleys, cooler, and oil pump and oil filter adaptor.
For me, the convenience of having the valve​
makes the tiny residual amount of oil insignificant. Ken
Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #15

Quote:
The hollow bolt on my valve extends about 1\4 inch into the oil pan. About an ounce of oil might remain in the pan. It's probably far less than the amount trapped in the lifters, galleys, cooler, and oil pump and oil filter adaptor.
For me, the convenience of having the valve​
makes the tiny residual amount of oil insignificant. Ken
The reason I asked was I was doing a little searching on Fumoto valves awhile ago and some people claimed a 1/2qt of oil drained out after they removed their valve from the pan.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #16

Quote:
The reason I asked was I was doing a little searching on Fumoto valves awhile ago and some people claimed a 1/2qt of oil drained out after they removed their valve from the pan.
I guess if a person didn't wait for the oil to stop draining, there might be more than an ounce residual. Oil does drain much slower with the Fumoto valve installed. I open the valve and let it drain while I do other things like change the oil on the genset. It drains for probably 45 mins, and has stopped. I will crack open the valve next time.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #17
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
I wondered the same once so I removed it. No more oil came out than with it left in. Upon the initial install I had used a drain plug sealing washer that was thick enough where the threads remained flush inside the pan when tightened.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:49 AM   #18

Quote:
My Duramax engine holds 10 quarts of oil. I am not concerned if a half pint or so remains in the pan when Im changing the oil.

The valve makes a very messy jog much cleaner. I LOVE IT!

Tags
drain, valve