Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2018, 05:46 AM   #1

Gas tank reserve and miles to empty

Does anyone know if our FR3's have a reserve in the gas tank? I see the display will read " miles to empty" but what does that really mean. I almost found out last year running from Hurricanes in South Florida, but finally found gas at the Georgia border. Curious minds want to know..
Orider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #2

My buddy found out what "Miles to Empty" meant when pulling a trailer! It meant the additional Trailer pulling was NOT figured into the equation! When you are along the side of a road "Out of Fuel" it will give you time to "Reflect" on "Decisions Made"!Youroo!!
Old 08-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #3

It does not mean much and can change quickly. 50 miles can turn into 10 miles in a mile. Personally it is not worth knowing or the expense..... filling at 1/4 tack is too late as far as I am concerned.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #4

I've never paid attention to the "Miles To Empty" display, but I can give you some info about the fuel gauge and the "Low Fuel Warning" display.

Three times in the last three years, we let the fuel level get down to the point that the fuel gauge needle was on "E" and "Fuel Level Low" was displayed in the information area that usually displays the outdoor temp.

When we filled-up with gas, all three times it took 72 gallons, which means that theoretically there had been 8 gallons remaining.
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orider View Post
Does anyone know if our FR3's have a reserve in the gas tank? I see the display will read " miles to empty" but what does that really mean. I almost found out last year running from Hurricanes in South Florida, but finally found gas at the Georgia border. Curious minds want to know..
I can't answer your specific issue. If your fuel pump is in the gas tank it is cooled by the fuel. Should you run very low on fuel the cooling is reduced and you risk damaging the pump and repair expenses. I don't trust my distance to empty when towing my trailer.
rayham7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #6

I always try my best to fill up when I hit half a tank, that way if I hit a stretch of road without gas stations, I can relax. It's very difficult pushing an rv up hill
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlovers View Post
...all three times it took 72 gallons, which means that theoretically there had been 8 gallons remaining.
My experience as well. But those 8 gallons are probably a 1/2 inch at the bottom of that big tank. And then there is the efficiency of the pickup. Lots of sloshing going on and a dry rail on a fuel injected system is NOT a thing of beauty.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #8

The one and only time of the year that I even let it go down to 1/4 tank is my first trip after winter storage so I can use up the gas with stabilizer in it (Canadian winter)...as I want a fresh fill of gas for the remainder of the trip!

I recall a couple of years ago wishing I was almost on empty when I found gas in West Virginia for $1.36 at a BP station. DW wondered what was taking me so long to fill up and I actually squeezed every drop in that I could! Wouldn't it be nice to pay that price all the time!! 8 mpg would be easier to swallow lol

Bob Brown

2013 Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS..

Heading to Newfoundland from Ontario next Saturday!
bobbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #9

The ford trucks and vans , that I had used for work for my last few years of working, averaged about 15 miles, that's after the red light would turn on. And when the miles left to empty would reach 0. I carried fuel for my compressor, so for giggles I would run the tank empty to know exactly what was left in miles. BUT I always fill my tank at half tank regardless what it says that I have for miles left to empty, it is much easier to pay the bill for 40 gallons versus 80 gallons. hahaha besides I prefer to use my AAA for more important issues than running out of fuel!
Cheers
David
Old 08-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #10

I regularly take the big girl down to the Fuel Low Indicator when traveling known routes. We do a lot of FL-NY So I know where the gas stops are and who's relatively the cheapest. The biggest fill up I've ever had was 74 gallons. And we were LOW. Fuel light had been on a while and the genny even shut off. It was a boys trip though and I was towing six motorcycles and mis-guessed how far the next gas station was that I could fit into.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #11

I know with my 2002 Ford F-250 it took a couple of tanks for it to adapt to towing vs not towing. I think it used some kind of average MPG to calculate. I just look at the needle. I think my new 2017 F-350 is better.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #12

I will pass on this low gas challenge. When I hit 1/2 tank, I start looking for a place to fill up.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #13

Do like my elderly father wanted to do. Put a gas can in the back and run it till it stops. Then you'll know. Luckily he never actually did it but he sure talked about it a lot.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #14

There are just too many factors to know for sure. Your RV weight? amount of water? holding tanks? gear of your stocked rig, are you towing, driving in hills? mountains? flat plains? Do yourself a great service and relieve the stress. At a 1/4 tank start looking. Remember you're supposed to be having fun. I always had the idea that if you own a big rig and like to travel then gas should be your last concern. And this means prices too. We all want the best price but being stranded somewhere is not an option for me anyway. DON"T DO THE HOW FAR CAN I GO CHALLENGE.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank