Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Gas vs Diesel

I keep getting conflicting stories about Diesel Pushers and Gas Class A. I'm in the process of getting an FR3 30, and now my brother in law told me I was crazy to buy gas. Is there any reason while I should not buy the gas, and get diesel instead? I will like to hear any information from FR3 30DS owners, or anyone who has experience with both types of engines. Thanks a million

Nelly
DaRealDeal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

The answer depends on what day it is.
Gas is generally cheaper but diesel gets better economy.
Purchase price is generally a lot less for a gasser.
Maintainence is generally lower for a gasser.
Repairs are generally lower for a gasser.
Since gassers are Fords, it is usually much easier to find a repair facility.
Diesel pushers ride quieter.
Diesels generally have more torque for hill climbing and towing.
Diesels generally hold up longer.

Bottom line, if your BIL is footing the bill for a pusher, take him up in it. He will be buying you a nice Allegro.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
AD2

I agree with duckogram, my company builds equipment that tests new (R&D) diesel fuel injection systems. I own a 28ds gas powered motor home. Why? You ask. Fits my mission profile and budget. If you consider buying a newer diesel I can only tell you the reduction in emissions come at a price. Reduced fuel economy, more and expensive maintenance, addition of SCR fluid (Urea, Adblue, etc) and the engine side of the coach needs someone with mechanic quality skills if you are a DIYer.

Not knocking diesel, if you have the right mission it is the way to go. Please do your research on maintenance costs, average fuel economy and maintaining the new emissions loaded engines.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Bottom line.... If you want one, and If you can afford the price to buy a diesel and the cost to maintain a diesel, then by all means buy one. Or, as duckogram mentioned, if your BIL wants to pay for it, LOL.
Pushers are usually 34' or longer. So, depending if you prefer the shorter coaches for ease of maneuvering, that's another consideration.
We are very happy with our FR3 30DS and it fit our budget when we bought it. We average 8.1 mpg while towing our CRV. I can do a lot of the maintenance myself.
My vote...... Gas

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #5

Awesome! Thank you Duckogram, AD2, and Drivmsafe! Your responses were perfectly taken. I love everything about the FR3 30DS, and my budget is tight, so I will stay with the Gas engine. This will be my first RV, I have been reading, researching, went to Hershey RV Show, sat in all seminars.....so much info to digest, and assimilate. I guess all First Timers go through this! Thank you again, and any other good information on the 30DS, pros, cons, important things to consider, etc., will be truly appreciated!

Nelly
Old 10-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

You're most welcome darealdeal77. Good luck with your purchase. As for ideas, etc., you'll find all sorts of them in this forum. You can do keyword searches for just about anything to do with the FR3, all models.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #7

Ditto with everyone's comments. We also have a F250 diesel and it'll last forever and doesn't upshot at every Hill as the 30'S does. But my 4 gallon oil changes is a bit PIA vs the 7 quart changes now. And the V10 rebuild will be cheaper when the time comes. Only diesels out there that we saw in this size was Super C's, and $50k+ more. Just not worth it. Just drive that V10 like you stole it and don't worry about the RPMs. The floor plan and entry price was just right, so 30DS was a good fit for us. Good luck with the decision.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #8

If you want a larger Rv then diesel is the way to go if smaller go with gas everything diesel is more expensive I have had both love the diesel but it's money all the time
Old 10-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #9

Gas vs Diesel

Meh!
I just did a 600km weekend.
V10. 14k fifth.

Going there. 7.5mpg at 90 kph
Coming home 8.9 at 100 kph

Just fine with me. That V10 can pull.
Just let it rev!

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #10

Thank you so much for all the great information! Love this forum, it will be great to own the FR3 30DS, and be a part of the Forest River family! : )

Nelly
Old 10-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

Nelly I bought a new Berkshire as our first MH. I I had it to do over I would buy the same but would look at used.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:33 AM   #12

Gas vs Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRealDeal77 View Post
Thank you so much for all the great information! Love this forum, it will be great to own the FR3 30DS, and be a part of the Forest River family! : )

Nelly

I did a ton of research before buying our 30DS as well. All of the diesels I looked at were 30k to 50k more.

I figured that if Miles per gallon was the concern, I could buy a whole lot of gasoline for the 30k to 50k difference. I just couldn't see spending that much more for a diesel. Our 30DS with the Ford Triton V10 pulls everything just fine.

Good luck with your new rig!
Landshark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark1 View Post
I did a ton of research before buying our 30DS as well. All of the diesels I looked at were 30k to 50k more.

I figured that if Miles per gallon was the concern, I could buy a whole lot of gasoline for the 30k to 50k difference. I just couldn't see spending that much more for a diesel. Our 30DS with the Ford Triton V10 pulls everything just fine.

Good luck with your new rig!

There are a lot more advantages to a DP than towing capacity. Ride is a biggie. Drivability is the biggest. Storage is another.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #14

Gas VS Diesel

Well I am not buying one like you mentioned but I traded my 2000 Holiday Rambler Gas powered coach for a new Legacy DP. My gas mileage is much better going from 8 mpg to 11 with the DP...towing my Harley trailer I went from 6-7 mpg to 10-10.5 mpg

Ride is amazing...yes it costs more to buy but after owning a class C...then a Class A and now a DP....it was the best buy I have ever made.

Bought mine new for $149,000...yes much higher than your Gas unit but i bet in 10 years mine will hold more of its initial value...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12108738_10206462256268493_6329426226819043781_n.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	90720  
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #15

Go Diesel if you pull. Go V10 gas for a smaller motorhome.

Lessons learned the hard way. Go 3500 or F350 diesel truck if you pull. Get a motorhome with a V10 if you want the motor in the camper.
A diesel that sits will rot.
A gas truck that pulls will rot your wallet when not pulling.
findthehumorinthings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas