Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #1

Gearbox replacement

2016 FR3 32DS. Had a gearbox go bad 1 yr ago on the main slide. Now the bedroom slide gearbox has gone bad. I'm thinking about trying to replace it myself this time and I have a couple of questions for those of you who have done this yourself.

I watched this video on YouTube which seems to be the only one I can find that's focused on the gearbox replacement. He did a couple of things I am wondering about.

1. He mentioned you need to have the slide 1/2 out when replacing the gearbox and you have to stabilize the slide with jacks and 2x4s outside. I don't have any jacks, if the slide is 1/2 out and weight is distributed, is the stabilizing needed? The mobile repair person that replaced the 1st gearbox didn't do that.
2. He mentions he loosens all of the cables when taking the chain off. Why do you need to loosen all of the cables? Why not just loosen the chain and leave the cables as is?
3. Do you agree with the slide being 1/2 out as being the ideal location for the replacement?

Thank you in advance for your assistance
mjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #2

Gearbox replacement

I am having my gearbox replaced today. Having a mobile RV repair guy coming to your CG site. I have a new gearbox that my dealer back in NC shipped here. We have been traveling without being able to open the slide for several days. It is the bedroom slide.

FYI: We have a Wildcat 5th wheel and are currently at a KOA in KY.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:47 AM   #3

Apparently these gearboxes go all of the time. Also the replacement box should have a serial # that starts with a 17 or higher. There were improvements to the boxes manufactured in 2017 and later. Both my bad ones had 15 on them (manufactured in 2015). Tom, can you ask those questions I mentioned to your mobile repair person that comes today?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

The new gearbox is a 17. The bad one is a 14.
I will ask him your questions.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

When I called to order the gearbox my dealer thought I needed the motor also. He said they are almost unavailable, as could not locate one.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #6

I asked. He did not really know. Lots of talk about size of slide, etc.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #7

The questions will be to your mobile repair person as he's doing the work. Thanks
Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #8

I have a 2015 DS30 and replaced my main slide & bedroom slide boxes in the same week. It was so frustrating, but I'm glad they happened so close to each other.

The bedroom went out first so that was good practice for the main slide. I didn't use any supports for the bedroom and didn't have it in the out position. My mechanical minded friend did the grunt work of loosing and tightening the cables so I can't comment too much on that.

When we replaced the main slide, we did have it out all the way and we supported it using scrap boards and car Jack's. We used a level to make sure it was plum. I thought it helped when we lowered the leveling Jack's first and then leveled the slide.
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #9

I now have two failed slide out boxes. Can they be refurbished or are they scrap now?
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #10

Matthew thanks for the info. I doubt they can be refurbished. I found some video online that showed what precisely was failing within the gearbox and there's an internal part that's actually broken. I think they would have to create a new housing and since the boxes only cost about $90 it's probably not worth it.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #11

If you still have this old gearbox, would you want to get rid of it ?
I think I can look at it and recommend a very inexpensive change for the manufacturer and a possible easy addition to a brand new gearbox to make it last much longer.
let me know if you want to part with it.
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #12

Do you have a part number or where I can pick up a spare...are they two different gearboxes one for the main and a bigger one for the living room slide...I have a 30 ds fr3
lazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #13

Hello Gomatthew,
I would love to have a broken gearbox to try to do my fix to it. Let me know if you want to part with one or both of the gearboxes,

Bob
Louisville, Kentucky
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazbo View Post
Do you have a part number or where I can pick up a spare...are they two different gearboxes one for the main and a bigger one for the living room slide...I have a 30 ds fr3

It’s this one. You can buy either the gearbox by itself, the motor by itself or both together. There is no difference in the parts on the various slides (bedroom vs main slide)

http://www.dyersonline.com/bal-r2507...-gear-box.html

Gearbox: R25076
PMDC Motor: R25075
Old 07-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #15

The gearbox is readily available. It is what fails most often. The motor is not. My dealer could not find one.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
The gearbox is readily available. It is what fails most often. The motor is not. My dealer could not find one.

I ordered the motor and gearbox from that link above on Monday and it’s arriving tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjessie View Post
It’s this one. You can buy either the gearbox by itself, the motor by itself or both together. There is no difference in the parts on the various slides (bedroom vs main slide)

http://www.dyersonline.com/bal-r2507...-gear-box.html

Gearbox: R25076
PMDC Motor: R25075

Thanks for the info...I will order one tommorrow and have it before we head out...just wondering If I should pick up a spare cable...do they usually go after a few years?
Old 07-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazbo View Post
Thanks for the info...I will order one tommorrow and have it before we head out...just wondering If I should pick up a spare cable...do they usually go after a few years?
I haven't personally had any issues with the cables themselves but I went ahead and ordered 1 just in case. The only other issues I've had was the anti vibration foam that goes on the end of the cables. (BAL Adnik Slide Out Anti Vibration Foam - 854266)
I had 1 of them break apart and then over time the cable started to slowly work its way out and get loose. I bought some of those from Dyers and replaced it and tightened the cable back up and so far so good.
I've also had the grommets disintegrate on the outside of the RV so I ordered some of them as well. (Bal/Adnik Slide Out Rubber Cable Grommet)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjessie View Post
I haven't personally had any issues with the cables themselves but I went ahead and ordered 1 just in case. The only other issues I've had was the anti vibration foam that goes on the end of the cables. (BAL Adnik Slide Out Anti Vibration Foam - 854266)

I had 1 of them break apart and then over time the cable started to slowly work its way out and get loose. I bought some of those from Dyers and replaced it and tightened the cable back up and so far so good.

I've also had the grommets disintegrate on the outside of the RV so I ordered some of them as well. (Bal/Adnik Slide Out Rubber Cable Grommet)

Thank you once again..something to defiantly keep an eye out for in the future!

Tags
replacement