Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Generator

Does anyone know how long you can run the generator on the FR3 without having to fill up your gas.

DBilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #2

I have a 5,500 Onan and it uses about 1 gallon of gas an hour if I have both AC on with the other stuff. TV, Battery Charger, Refrigerator, etc.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

I think the 4KW is around 1/2 gallon an hour. So I'd have to guess around 5-6 days 24/7 on a full tank with 10 gallons to spare. The most we've ran ours non-stop was around 36 hours.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBilak View Post
Does anyone know how long you can run the generator on the FR3 without having to fill up your gas.
Most generators are workhorses and will run continuous for quite some time. The main thing you want to remember is to keep more than 1/4 tank in your gas tank. Under that, the generator won't run.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Most generators are workhorses and will run continuous for quite some time. The main thing you want to remember is to keep more than 1/4 tank in your gas tank. Under that, the generator won't run.
Can you explain this and what model? I am confused. Will it just not start?

I have a Yamaha2000is and champion 3400w inverter and I can run them both dry. I ran the Yamaha starting on empty according to the fuel gauge and it ran 5 hours.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
AD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Can you explain this and what model? I am confused. Will it just not start?

I have a Yamaha2000is and champion 3400w inverter and I can run them both dry. I ran the Yamaha starting on empty according to the fuel gauge and it ran 5 hours.

The fuel pickup line for the fuel supply to the motorhome generator is mounted in the chassis fuel tank so it will uncover or not draw any fuel from the tank when the chassis fuel tank is approximately 1/4 full. It is supposed to keep you from running the fuel tank dry by operating the generator so you can start the engine and get more fuel in the tank. More than one person has drained their fuel tank during dry camping and became stranded.

Most FR3 motor homes have an 80 gallon fuel tank so at 1/4 you should have approximately 20 gallons or 100 miles of fuel reserve so you don't attempt to strand yourself while dry camping. Although I am pretty sure someone will invent a way to do it anyway and then complain about it.

Your two particular generators are not mounted on a motorhome and have a separate gas tank.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #7

Thanks for the explanation. That makes some sense.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD2 View Post
Most FR3 motor homes have an 80 gallon fuel tank so at 1/4 you should have approximately 20 gallons or 100 miles of fuel reserve so you don't attempt to strand yourself while dry camping. Although I am pretty sure someone will invent a way to do it anyway and then complain about it.

Your two particular generators are not mounted on a motorhome and have a separate gas tank.
Maybe mine is setup wrong or something but I ran the generator out of gas on my last big trip but it didn't kick off until i was actually paying for gas (had to pay first to authorize > $100) and I put 74 gallons in. So it ran way past the 1/4 tank number people told me about. This has caused a bit of concern TBH so I manually check the fuel level (well, with the fuel gauge) if I know i'm on the low side and am running the genny a lot.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #9
AD2

Well it would not surprise me that the generator pickup line is installed wrong on a Forrest River product. I would rather have your situation than have it be too high. Also Ford only specifies 80 gallons useable so that does not include any free space for expansion and tilt from loading. The actual capacity of the fuel tank is larger there is just guarantee you can access the fuel. I have tracked every gallon at every fill up, the engine hours, generator hours and where I get gas. I usually fill somewhere around a 1/4 tank and have put 71 gallons in.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD2 View Post
Well it would not surprise me that the generator pickup line is installed wrong on a Forrest River product. I would rather have your situation than have it be too high. Also Ford only specifies 80 gallons useable so that does not include any free space for expansion and tilt from loading. The actual capacity of the fuel tank is larger there is just guarantee you can access the fuel. I have tracked every gallon at every fill up, the engine hours, generator hours and where I get gas. I usually fill somewhere around a 1/4 tank and have put 71 gallons in.
Mis-installed on one of these finely tuned machines! Never! /sarcasm

I track my fill ups too, I usually go till below 1/4 but try to find a gas station below 100 miles left and before the light turns on.

Tags
generator