Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #1

Generator door with vents

For those looking to buy a 2016 30DS, (assuming all sizes are the same issue) the 2nd generation has proper vents on the gen door, same as 2017 model. Complaints have been made about driving and the gen shutting down while driving due to overheating. Fuel pumps, fuel lines, vaporlock, etc have been inspected and most believe its due to the gen not having proper air flow. In fact some question the gen sucking up engine exhaust or heat from the underside to make matters worse. Louvers, vents, even a 12v fan have been installed on the door as a retro.
If you have this problem, you tube videos on how to install proper screens are out there. Perhaps FR will admit the design flaw and provide you with the proper vented door.
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

I don't be leave forest River will lift a finger to admit they built and sold to the public a complete hunk of crap in the FR3. I've given up both on Forest River and the dealership that l bought mine from. I may even give up on paying for it. It's just one problem after another and when l take it back to the dealership it sits for weeks and they don't touch it.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #3

wow. now there's a dark cloud. Sorry for your lemon Wayne.
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #4

Sorry for your lack of dealer support, but its all too common in the RV industry. And I believe most RV manufactures produce the same hurried product as everyone else. Hopefully you'll post your issues on here and we as a group can help you resolve your issues. It shouldn't be this way when you buy a new RV, but unfortunately I think its better for us to do the work instead of being without the RV for 6 weeks or more...
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

I think you should contact Forest River and keep contacting them until resolved. It is not a hard fix for them. I had this situation on my 2014 Fleetwood Terra SE and Fleetwood took care of the issue. It worked great. I traded our Terra for a 2016 Georgetown 328. So we will see how that goes. If I have this problem I know what to do.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

On my old Mirada, I installed these to help improve the airflow around the genny, mainly while traveling when its HOT outside...

Generator Compartment vents | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #7

waiter, thanks for posting and the link to your install on the Mirada.
Just ordered two of the same vents for our Lexi.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #8

Sadly, when you purchase a motorhome that has problems and/or does not meet your expectations we certainly can understand your frustration. It is important, however, to seek advice from someone experienced to address your issues. If the dealer is negligent another approach using the factory rep might be your best recourse. I know those names and contact information have been posted here before. I suppose in many ways that we have been fortunate with only two minor issues. One was a loose seal on the back bedroom window and the second the bunk magnets needed replaced on the drop down bunk. Otherwise no problems. I hope that you can solve these problems. And for the original post, thank you. Will check the ventilation on the generator asap. We have not even used it yet!
Celkalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, generator, vent