Old 08-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #1

Generator Maintenance

What do you all do regarding generator maintenance?
How does one check the generator oil? Is there anything else that should be checked regularly between full blown service intervals? And what are those intervals effectively? We got no books when we bought out 2014 FR30DS

We're in Colorado now and having a blast in our rig!!!

Dylvinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
I have an Oman 4000 Cummins generator. Manual says to change the oil after first 50 Hours usage and every 150 after that. There is also an air filter to change. Generator needs to be exercised 2 Hours each month. Start it and run thirty minutes no load, 1 hour half load, cool down with thirty minutes no load. Thatís what I have done.

Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #3

what make / model generator? you get more specific info if we know what you have.

the manuals are all available on line. get the one for your generator and see what it has to say.

alan f basically covered onan generators. i have one and change the oil, oil filter, and air filter at the start of each season. plus exercise it monthly.

one other point. if you have a gas fueled generator there are other things you should do such as adding a fuel stabilizer or running the generator dry so that you do not leave gas in the carburetor that can gum it up. again, this should be in the owners manual.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
what make / model generator? you get more specific info if we know what you have.

the manuals are all available on line. get the one for your generator and see what it has to say.

alan f basically covered onan generators. i have one and change the oil, oil filter, and air filter at the start of each season. plus exercise it monthly.

one other point. if you have a gas fueled generator there are other things you should do such as adding a fuel stabilizer or running the generator dry so that you do not leave gas in the carburetor that can gum it up. again, this should be in the owners manual.
The Onan 4000QG on the FR3 does NOT have an oil filter so dont start looking for one
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

This video applies to changing the oil on my 2016 30DS.

Tags
generator, maintenance