Old 04-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #1

Generator not powering coach

We started the generator at a rest stop to power the air conditioner. The thermostat had power as evidenced by the lights displayed but the AC would not kick on. We also noticed that the microwave had no power (no display lights). When we stopped for the night and connected to shore power, everything worked fine. Anyone have any ideas on what might have caused this? We've successfully used both AC and microwave with the generator in the past.

schuttinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

could be a bad transfer switch

northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #3

Thermostat is 12v, so that just tells you that the batteries are good. Have you check the circuit breaker within the generator. Just take the door off and I think it was just inside. We don't have a transfer switch, so that not an issue.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #4

Are you plugged into the generator outlet?
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
Retired Ford Tech

Check and see if any thing is ON like the AC. Turn the generator off and check the AC stuff especially the Roof air. The generator will not work if there's a load when it is started.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Make sure your hook up cable is plugged in the the receptacle that feeds the electrical system when generator is on. Also, make sure switch on generator is in right position. Lastly, go through flashing code procedure...located on generator start switch. We had this happen to us, and the dealer service guy walked me thru it. It turned out to be an internal electrical short.
GWTimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

What type of generator and how long has it been sitting . Sometimes they loose there magnetic field (may not be thr right term ) . I've had to hook an electric drill up to my old one and squeeze the trigger and turn the drill motor to renergize the generator.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #8

We had the same thing about halfway into our first year of owning our 2016 Sunseeker. Was the transfer switch. It is automatic, but wasnt working properly. The generator was fine.
jeepthng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #9

Like welder states, are you plugged into the generator plug. My rv shore line connects to an input source plug which is powered by the generator.
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
edm

We had the same problem with our fr3 a couple of years ago. What I found was a burned up wirenut on the natural line. The location was in the water proof junction box at the front of the generator. Check all connections in that box.

Good luck .

edm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power