Old 08-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #1

Gfi tripped

GFI tripped and have disconnected the down line to see if anything beyond gfi was shorted. Still gfi won't reset. Thinking it must be in the panel or somewhere between the panel to the gfi. BTW, new gfi and has the green light showing on the gfi. Any hints to the solution?

anolefan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by anolefan4life View Post
GFI tripped and have disconnected the down line to see if anything beyond gfi was shorted. Still gfi won't reset. Thinking it must be in the panel or somewhere between the panel to the gfi. BTW, new gfi and has the green light showing on the gfi. Any hints to the solution?
You say new GFI, is this replacing one that tripped previously?

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Are you at home and plugged into a GFI circuit? 2 gfi's in series don't play nice.
Unplug anything downstream of the GFI. bathroom, kitchen, outside. Any outlet within 6' of water. Also storage areas.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:58 AM   #4

Replaced the old gfi just to make sure. Unplugged everything downstream. Tomorrow, will open up the panel and check for loose wiring, breaker, etc. Crissing my fingers.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Replaced the old gfi just to make sure. Unplugged everything downstream. Tomorrow, will open up the panel and check for loose wiring, breaker, etc. Crissing my fingers.
After you have checked the panel then go downstream and pull every outlet and look for loose wiring or grounds touching hot. or neutral. When you replaced the GFI did you take note of Line and Load connections? If you find no Loose connections, Go back to the GFI and disconnect the load side. The outlet should work. Then go down the line again disconnecting one pair of wires. Think daisy changed. this is how you find a hidden connection. Electric troubleshooting 101.

You didn't answer the question. Are you plugged into a GFI circuit? Do you have power at the GFI after it is tripped?

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 08-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #6

I don't believe so. I spoke with a mobile repairman and he said that it I disconnect the down stream hotwire and the gfi still doesn't reset, the problem is most likely between the panel and the gfi. That's my next step. I'm glad to get any suggestions to resolve this pesky problem.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
I don't believe so. I spoke with a mobile repairman and he said that it I disconnect the down stream hotwire and the gfi still doesn't reset, the problem is most likely between the panel and the gfi. That's my next step. I'm glad to get any suggestions to resolve this pesky problem.
The down stream hot wire at the gfi I meant to add.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
Site Team

The GFCI doesn't look up stream. In simple terms, it looks at the current flowing into it from the hot side and compares it with the current flowing back in the neutral side and if they differ by a preset amount it trips.

Check for moisture or spider webs in outlets especially any outside. Spider webs will attract moisture and provide a high resistance bypass path that will not trip a breaker, but will trip a GFCI.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
The down stream hot wire at the gfi I meant to add.
Do you have power at the GFI Breaker? The GFI outlet must have power to reset.

That's why we need to know what you ate plugged into? Pleas answer the questions we ask so we can help.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Do you have power at the GFI Breaker? The GFI outlet must have power to reset.

That's why we need to know what you ate plugged into? Pleas answer the questions we ask so we can help.
Yes. There is a green light on the gfi.