Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #1

hd tv in FR3 30 DS 2014

We love nature and the FR3 provides many opportunities for relaxing, but we also need to keep in touch with what is going on in the world...

My Furrion TV over the kitchen sink gets great reception and lots of HD channels when we are near or in a city. I would like some more information on the antenna on the roof that came with the FR3. How does it work?

Is it a satellite antenna (that seems too good to be true)? I am a Direct TV subscriber at my home location. Can I just hook up my HD DVR receiver to my TV? If the FR3's antenna is not a satellite "dish" then how do I get an affordable solution for satellite TV? Do the small tailgater cubes work?

I have read some posts here that make it sound really hard to hook up a satellite dish to the coach. If I can pull into an RV park and plug their cable into the cable jack built into my RV (in the rear driver's side basement compartment), why can't I get a satellite dish and run a cable from it to the same cable jack and have it provide the signal to my TV? What kind of receiver box would I need?

Does anybody have pictures of a satellite TV setup for an FR3?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #2

FR3 Satellite TV

That is an over the air HD antennae on your roof. It picks up local stations broadcasting in HD. The button just above the broom closet (near the door) is an amplifier for HD signals. It will strengthen weak signals. Don't use it unless you need it because it adds static otherwise. Make sure it's off if you connect to an external feed (Cable, Satellite).

I use a Winegard Pathway X2 (Winegard Pathway X2 for DISH - DISH HD Portable Satellite TV Antenna) for tailgating, etc. Service from Dish Network with month-month payments--no contracts, auto location of satellite, supports 2 receivers and gets its power from the coax so no extra power cords.

We hooked a splitter up to the Coax jack in the back storage compartment. Mostly works great. There are some wiring limitations so I had to make tradeoffs when using satellite. No HD outside, but using the wide screen gets me what I need. Also, I tune to channel 3 which gives me access to Dish programming. After 1 or 2 trips, I have the process down. With month-month service, we turn it off when not using for extended times. Sometimes requires a call to service to refresh the box, but works every time.

It's a cost effective way to get the college football games when we tailgate. I was one of the few RVs with the Longhorn Network last weekend, so we had a good crowd around the FR3 for it's maiden tailgating adventure.
hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Maze View Post
We love nature and the FR3 provides many opportunities for relaxing, but we also need to keep in touch with what is going on in the world...

My Furrion TV over the kitchen sink gets great reception and lots of HD channels when we are near or in a city. I would like some more information on the antenna on the roof that came with the FR3. How does it work?

Is it a satellite antenna (that seems too good to be true)? I am a Direct TV subscriber at my home location. Can I just hook up my HD DVR receiver to my TV? If the FR3's antenna is not a satellite "dish" then how do I get an affordable solution for satellite TV? Do the small tailgater cubes work?

I have read some posts here that make it sound really hard to hook up a satellite dish to the coach. If I can pull into an RV park and plug their cable into the cable jack built into my RV (in the rear driver's side basement compartment), why can't I get a satellite dish and run a cable from it to the same cable jack and have it provide the signal to my TV? What kind of receiver box would I need?

Does anybody have pictures of a satellite TV setup for an FR3?

Maybe yours is a Jack Antennae they can do HD and short distance stations. Looks like a small Jet plane on the roof and swivels with indoor hand control?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the help. This over the air "antenna" on the FR3 30DS looks like a black round disc on the roof near the AC. I don't have to turn it or raise/lower it. It just works. So it appears that I do need a satellite dish, if I want "cable" channels. Thanks for the suggestion on the Winegard.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #5

Here is another possible option for Hi Def TV. If the area you are staying in has WiFi with enough bandwidth you can watch streaming video easily and inexpensively. I have a ROKU box in my unit connected to one of the unused HDMI inputs on the TV. When in WiFi range I can watch virtually anything in the coach I can at home in my living room. A Roku box costs between 50.00 and 100.00 depending on the model.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags