Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

Heat pump has really short cycles? Thermostat read way high?

So... I was using heat pump this weekend for first time on our 30DS. The system seems to turn on, blow for a few seconds 5-10 then shut off. Then a little while later it will do it again. During the night it sometimes seems to run for longer though. Is this normal?

I held the sleep button to get the temperature reading and it was reading very high. Is there something wrong here?

I'm assuming a few things, but i could be wrong....

1) the pump cycles when it thinks its close to the desired temp to keep things unfrozen and circulate air.

2) the sleep button shows the temp from up by the unit, not at the wall which makes the unit think it does not need to heat

3) Its fubarred.

Anyone have some knowledge on the subject? Also I read that the heatpump only works above 44 degrees but is adjustable to a lower number?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

kmoxie,

The heat pump is controlled by the thermostat. It should turn on when the temperature in the vehicle gets about 2 degrees below the temperature you set for your vehicle. It should shut off when the temperature gets about 2 degrees above the temperature you set.

If you're reading a high temperature at the thermostat but the vehicle is still a little cool, look for another heat source near the thermostat that is affecting it. The thermostat reads the temperature in the area that the thermostat is located, not at the the heat pump itself.

Lastly, once the outside temperature gets below 44 degrees, there's not enough warm air to allow the heat pump to work.

Hope this helps.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedog View Post
kmoxie,

The heat pump is controlled by the thermostat. It should turn on when the temperature in the vehicle gets about 2 degrees below the temperature you set for your vehicle. It should shut off when the temperature gets about 2 degrees above the temperature you set.

If you're reading a high temperature at the thermostat but the vehicle is still a little cool, look for another heat source near the thermostat that is affecting it. The thermostat reads the temperature in the area that the thermostat is located, not at the the heat pump itself.

Lastly, once the outside temperature gets below 44 degrees, there's not enough warm air to allow the heat pump to work.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, So it definitely sounds like something might not be working properly. If this isn't how it runs for most people. I expected it to work as you described. The thermostat is not near any heat sources, its located here:
Old 05-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #4

knoxie,

If you have a another thermostat you can compare the readings.

It might be a bad thermostat. I'd also check the interior filter inside the coach (make sure it's clean), & around the AC/Heat pump on the roof. You might have to remove the cover.

I've heard horror stories about stink bugs climbing under the AC/Heat pump cover on the roof & causing air flow problems.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
If you have a another thermostat you can compare the readings.
I think i have a thermometer i could put in there, but I don't have another thermostat. I'm assuming they have some kind of special connector or something vs a normal one?

Quote:
I've heard horror stories about stink bugs climbing under the AC/Heat pump cover on the roof & causing air flow problems.

Don't tell me that! We have horrible problem with stink bugs around here. I'll have to get up there and check it out, I already cleaned the inside vents/filter. Didn't think to check the roof unit.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

knoxie,

I have a hand held battery powered thermostat but I got when I was gainfully employed. You can probably find it online.

It's a Dickson Temprobe 1.

I found some stink bug spray at Home Depot That I spray under my AC covers each spring. I also use it throughout the year in other places.

Tags
pump, thermostat