Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Heat Strip Install

I like to utilize the campground utilities to the maximum extent possible. I would rather use their electricity than my propane whenever possible. My unit is a 2015 so it has the electric water heater capability and the 15000 btu ac unit. The unit in mine is a Dometic Brisk Air II and Dometic makes a heat strip kit that will install in the unit. The part number for the heat strip kit is 3315450.000. The heat strip also requires a new thermostat and control box. The part number for that is 3313189.056. I was able to find both parts for less than 130.00. The instructions for the heat strip are very good and walk you right thru the installation the thermostat and control box not so much. After some looking you can actually just unplug all the connectors from the old box and connect them to the new box but you will need to open the cover from the new box and plug them in inside. Took me about and hour and a half to do the install and it is checking out fine so far. The heat strip will take the chill out to around 40 degrees OAT after that its the furnaces job.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #2

Where did you buy these from..?

I looked around and would be interested in knowing who you got these from. Seems like it would be a good alternative to space heaters...

Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #3

Here

Air Conditioner Accessories
Old 08-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

I too am going to install one of these in my new unit.

I figure I am paying for electricity already so might as well use some of the Campgrounds.

Thanks for providing the link. Looks like an easy install.

The non-ducted one looks like it is wired to directly plug into the A/C unit somewhere. Looks like a simple screw(s) to mount into the A/C unit.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

If you have an FR3 you have to use the ducted kit. The kit installation is simple with the provided instructions, the controller is what takes some thought.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #6

Ok. Thanks.

I will not order anything until I have the actual unit and model # in hand. I will also open it up and poke around.

Just so I am clear. This is done from the underside of the unit right? I am not looking to figure out a way to work on it from the roof. One should not walk on a pop up roof.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

My coach is a FR3 30DS. The coach has a ladder installed to gain access to the roof. The heat strip installs from the top ie the roof and the control box installs from inside of the coach after removing the air filter screen. If you are picking up a new coach from a dealer make sure you go on top to check the condition of the roof prior to taking delivery. That is normal procedure and included in just about all pre delivery inspection check lists I have seen. Here is a link to a PDI checklist
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...spection.shtml
Old 05-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

After cruising through a 30# lp tank, I have been searching on how to do this. We had the strip on our old camper and it was a simple install. No computers no nothing. Thank you for posting this.

One question though, with the install of the strip, box, and new thermostat, can you control the heat output? The old brisk airs were either on or off. Had to add a simple thermostat to make it cycle without cooking us out of the camper.

Thank you,

Scooter
Old 05-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #9

The required new thermostat has a heat strip setting in addition to the fan, furnace and a/c settings. The temperature that is set in the thermostat is what the heat strip will attempt to reach. The heat strip itself is either off or on kinda like the a/c until it reaches the desired temp. The heat strip by itself works until the outside air reaches about 40f, lower than that and it needs help to maintain a setting.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #10

Man you are fast! Does the themostat come with the box that goes in the bottom of the ac unit? Just pulled mine apart and saw the original box. Can you set the fan to keep running continuously while the heat strip cycles on and off?

Sorry for the questions, but there is limited info out there. Had to punt and hope for the best on the old unit and it worked out. The prices have gone up a bit from your original post. Around $180 so far for both parts. The wife (accountant/funds mgr) approved either way .

Thank you!