Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Heater not turning on

I am not getting any heat out of the coach. Running the generator, gas stove working, air and fan working but no heat.

Looked on the outside and it looks like pilot is not lit.
jbudelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #2

I'm going to assume the fan you are talking about is the indoor blower (air from vents). The sequence of events which heat selected on the stat and the temp control above ambient is. Inducer fan starts to clear combustion chamber and create a draft. Spark ignition begins to spark and gas valve opens. Furnace fires and as temp climbs indoor blower starts. When stat reaches temp 12V to gas valve is opened and unit shuts down after a time delay.

The problem may be in your stat it can be checked by turning the power to the furnace off and pulling the cover on the stat. The red and white wire control heat and can be disconnected them from the stat and a jumper placed between the red to white wires and turn power back on if the furnace starts the stat is bad. This is what i would do however I am not advocating that you do this just making you aware of one of the checks that can be done.

Check all your 12V fuses that go to the furnace including the small fuse on the control board to ensure they are good. You may have to get a RV tech out to look at the system in any case good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

SeaDog sounds way familiar with the system than I am, but I'll share our experience FWIW. This past December when it was 15F, in the middle of the night of course, the furnace quit coming on. I tried adjusting the thermostat and nothing happened. Verified propane was still full and stove operated. Good. Then pulled the fused in the bedroom and it looked good. Re-installed it and everything came back alive. Never had any issues since then. So I'm guessing removing and reinstalling the fuse reset something. Give that a try. Good luck.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Heater not turning on

It would be great if you listed year make and model of your unit!
Even better the model of your furnace.

Also I'd like to know how you saw anything outside? Normally all you can see is the exhaust and intake.
Modern furnaces do not have a pilot light "electronic ignition"

They also have a "lock out" 3 in successful attempt and furnace will lock out from future attempts until the fuse is pulled and re installed.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Did it ever work or is this something that has just occurred?

The more information you can supply, the better the results you will receive.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #6

As Turbs said it may have locked itself out and by removing the fuse before doing anything else you may get it to reset.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
As Turbs said it may have locked itself out and by removing the fuse before doing anything else you may get it to reset.

I'd try that first!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #8

I'll make an attempt to explain what I did when this happened to me last winter:

The wife and I were at the Oregon coast for our 4th or 5th trip that fall. The weather was wet and cold (mid November). Our heater wouldn't work.

When I turned the heater on by the thermostat, the fan motor would run for about 5 seconds then stop. Air would actually run through the system and out the heater vents but no heat and it would turn off.

I checked the propane, the fuses, thermostat (which has to be switched to furnace and it has to be set for a higher temp than it is in the coach) nothing worked.
I called the dealer I bought the unit from and he walked me through the procedures and still no heat.
He said it is probably a loose wire in the heater unit. ( I think he said it was a rheostat or something )
He told me to unscrew the vent cover under the refrigerator...(you need a square headed screwdriver) then take a Phillips screwdriver and remove the outside of the sheet-metal cover off the furnace. Behind that, there is a silver rheostat with (2) wires going to it. One of those wires may have came off or loose. I wiggled the wires and sure enough, one of them wasn't connected. I pushed it back on and heater fired immediately. I put the covers back on and to this day it has not failed to turn on.
We shouldn't have to mess with this stuff. There is no way that wire jiggled off of that post... it had to have just not been put on tight enough from the assembly line... but it worked out and it works now.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:16 AM   #9
from Cali

I was up in Yosemite a week ago and on the second night my heater did the same thing. Call dealer service technician and he was no help (he had no idea). He said he would try and get me in, in March for repairers. I guess I will be getting out my square head screwdriver...

2015 FR3 30DS
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pilot View Post
I was up in Yosemite a week ago and on the second night my heater did the same thing. Call dealer service technician and he was no help (he had no idea). He said he would try and get me in, in March for repairers. I guess I will be getting out my square head screwdriver...

2015 FR3 30DS
Yeah, the heater thing is very strange... one day it was working and the next it was not...
Ripping the cover off and removing the face of the sheetmetal box only took about 10 minutes... it was definitely one of the wires... and it came on instantly when they made contact again.
Don't loose the little wood screw hole plugs... and note the way the wood cover came off when you remove it... mine is not symmetrical and I have it upside down which results in a slightly crooked wood cover... but it works... when I get time I'll turn mine over so it's straight....
Let me know if this works for you....
also... what MPG do you get pulling your Ruby?
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #11
from Cali

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.

I haven't started Towing anything yet. I have a small motorcycle I carry on the back for now. There is definitely places I want to bring the jeep along, so I will continue to research the set up until I start that project.

2015 FR3 30DS
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater