Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #1

Help

I'm a new MH owner, have camped for many years and now have a 2015FR3. Has anyone had problems with the overhead bunk blowing the 10 amp fuse ? Can't get bunk down or to return to full up position because it blows fuse each time I press switch. Any suggestions as to where to look and what to look for will be much appreciated. CW said it would be a couple of weeks before they could get to it. We have a trip planned with grandson who are looking forward to sleeping in "his bunk".
Marine4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Sounds like you have a short to ground in the wiring between the switch and the bunk motor. Could have a short within the motor, but less likely. Running a test wire from the switch to the motor could isolate that wiring for sure. Though I'm not sure where the wiring connects to the motor...
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

Thanks

I'll give that a try. This is certainly learn as you go
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

I was thinking about this and decided to take a look behind the switch. Looks like its a DPDT switch (201J Sigma switch). And it sends its signals to an "Raise" 12v relay and "Lower" 12v relay. Since you say the fuse blows in either direction the moment you activate the switch, I'm assuming the wiring on the switch might be crossed. So the switch assy picture could be helpful in verifying they put the spade terminals in the correct location. Since the relays have a unique connector, I'm assuming this is built up as a harness and less likely to have final assy error. So double check that switch wiring. Should be in the following order Black (Raise), Orange (Center), Grey (Lower). You can also get to the wiring to each motor (2 per side) through the pushrod covers on either side of the bunk if needed. Hope this helps.

Switch Assy:

Relays:
Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Quick! Somebody pay Kansas for his free tech support. !

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Thanks Kansas for the suggestions to check. I'll check these out this week when I get back in state. I sure hope one of these work, CW has such a backlog and my grandson wants his bunk. Semper Fi
Old 07-31-2015, 06:05 PM   #7

Just trying to help after all the great suggestion/advise that I've referenced on this forum. Power in numbers!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #8

Kansas, the switch wires are in the correct order. The switch has two rows of attaching prongs, does it matter which side the wires are plugged in on ? These are on the right side as you hold the switch. How do I find the wiring on the motors that you referred to ? Where are the push rod covers ? Sorry to be such a dummier but I don't see any covers. Where are they, what do they look like and how are they removed ? Again, thanks for any help you can provide.
Semper Fi
Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

On the fwd side of the bunk, on either left or right, there are pushrods (what I call them) that feed through the wall to the motors on the backside. Where the pushrods go through the cabinet, there is a rubber seal/cover with a slit in them. If you peek through them, you'll see the motors along with the wiring to them. I was able to fish out wiring through the seal to check the splices when I briefly checked.

Just some clarification, did you bunk ever work before? I'm guessing it did during your PDI at one time. And just now developed this issue where it blows the fuse if you attempt to raise AND? lower the bunk?

And it doesn't matter which side of the switch your three wires are located on.