Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Tents2RV

HELP!! Living room slide not working

On our way home from 8 day trip. Living room slide goes out 6 inches and stops with a ratcheting sound. This is in an FR3 30DS. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (We are 2 days from home.) Thanks
c0nnd0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #2

In 2014 models there was a problem where a bad batch of motors had bad sprockets and some would break a tooth. If it's grinding the motor is turning and you have power. I've read that you can human assist by pushing in the room from outside while another person holds down the button. That would get you home. I'd bet you will find its the motor gear tooth. Good luck.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Tents2RV

Thanks Technorick. That is what I think it is too. I failed to mention that the motor will bring the slide in. So at least it's not hanging out, allowing us to still travel. I also failed to mention that this is a 2015 model. I'll post the fix when it happens.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #4

The gear shears offClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465574910.779777.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	110705. I had it happen too.

2014 FR3 30DS In New Jersey
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #5

I opened up the gear box after my dealer replaced the assembly. It is the gear, not the motor that dies.

JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Dang... I'm leaving for an 8 day trip next Saturday.... I've been dreading to hear the 2015's (like mine) are having this problem too....
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Tents2RV

Thanks for the info JerseyGuy and sorry to darken your day twojump36.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

The gears in that photo look like they are made from the cheapest material that forest river could find. I'll bet they spent more money to find the junkyest material than it would have cost to just use a standard material that was already in production.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #9

Let me ask ya all this... When you drive out your slide or in, when you reach your end point, how much load up are you allowing before you take your finger off the switch? As soon as l hear the motor start to load up l stop!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #10
Site Team

Happened to my brother. He held the power button while we pushed slide in and out. Managed to get by for the week. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
The gears in that photo look like they are made from the cheapest material that forest river could find. I'll bet they spent more money to find the junkyest material than it would have cost to just use a standard material that was already in production.

Keep in mind that FR does not make the gears or the motors. Put the blame where it should be... the mfg. Just saying.....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #12

They are still responsible for the quality coming from their vendors.

There is a trade-off for lower priced products. Ultimately, it is the customer who demands price over quality.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
They are still responsible for the quality coming from their vendors.

There is a trade-off for lower priced products. Ultimately, it is the customer who demands price over quality.

Sorry. They are only responsible for the replacement if a part goes bad. They, like any other company that rely on outside vendors, can only hope that those they buy from sell them parts that will hold up. If there are too many problems then they should be smart enough to change vendors.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy View Post
The gear shears offAttachment 110705. I had it happen too.

The gears appears that they have been overloaded for many cycles. This most likely due to improper lubication or insufficient lube. Since every tooth is involved, it can't be from over stroking with the wall button. And no Forest River does not and cannot cut high strength gear teeth, they are furnished by the Slide mfg. probably of Chinese origin. When gear teeth are that damaged, they can fail any time.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #15

slide problem

had the same problem with my 2016 FR3 30DS but it was the motor not the gear box. FR sent me a new one and the local mobil repair installed it on warranty.
Fireretiredgfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
Let me ask ya all this... When you drive out your slide or in, when you reach your end point, how much load up are you allowing before you take your finger off the switch? As soon as l hear the motor start to load up l stop!
I was wondering the same thing.... from what I can tell, I can see if you stayed on that button for too long, it might cause the motor to shear off some teeth maybe....
As soon as I hear the motor start to strain, I take my finger off that button. Is there a cut-off switch we could come up with to limit the pull maybe?
Days Camped 74
Old 06-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
I was wondering the same thing.... from what I can tell, I can see if you stayed on that button for too long, it might cause the motor to shear off some teeth maybe....
As soon as I hear the motor start to strain, I take my finger off that button. Is there a cut-off switch we could come up with to limit the pull maybe?

I feel that both going out and going in as soon as you hear the motor load up get off the button!! Also I help push a little on the way out and up a little on the way in. Any little help is better than none.. I feel.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #18

Yeah maybe that will help...
Days Camped 74
Old 06-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #19
Curiouser and Curiouser

Dining room slider will not extend - A difficult decision

We have just encountered the same problem. The slide goes out a couple of inches, pops, slides out another couple of inches, pop, then a third, then stops with a ratcheting sound. We are 2,000 miles from home on an extended vacation. No service available appointments available within 100 miles of usfor at least a week. My question is: Is it safe to put the slider out until it stops or am I chancing additional damage - or even worse, having the slider stuck in the open position? Should I just travel the rest of my trip (or until I can get to a dealer) with the slider closed? Thanks for your help!
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #20
Tents2RV

Finch

I wasn't willing to take that chance. So I closed the living room slide and finished the trip without extending it again. It is now at the dealer waiting for a new slide transmission.

Tags
roo, slide