Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Help please. Tire valve s

Hi everybody this may sound like a dumb question but how do i air up my front tires. I found all the back ones but can not locate the front ones. Thanks for the help on my first tire air fill
WalczaksFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #2

Perhaps, if we had any idea of what your RV model was, someone could provide you with a bit of info
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Perhaps, if we had any idea of what your RV model was, someone could provide you with a bit of info
I am assuming it is a FR3 being it is in the FR3 subforums, as well as the username.

To the OP, are you not seeing the valve stems on the front wheels (could be covered by a cap, or are you perhaps inquiring what kind of air chuck to use for these kind of wheels?

I have seen in these type of wheels that may have a cap, where the installer incorrectly installed the center/hub cap and covered over the valve stem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

2016 fr3 28ds. Looks like the cap is covering the valve stems on one wheel
Old 04-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalczaksFR3 View Post
2016 fr3 28ds. Looks like the cap is covering the valve stems on one wheel
Yep, seen that happen a lot on big and small trucks.

Is the wheel cover held on with the lugnuts? If so you will either have to take it somewhere, or do it yourself...by jacking it up and removing all the lugnuts, repositioning the wheel cover, then tightening the nuts back down again.

It's hard to tell for sure without seeing the wheel cover in question.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the help its held on by lug nuts
Old 04-30-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

There are 3 caps on the wheel cover (they look like lug nuts, but aren't) with small indentations on them. Remove those 3 and you'll be able remove and reposition your wheel cover

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #8

By all means, DO NOT JACK UP the RV. As was mentioned the strange T handle wrench that should have come with the unit is to be used to remove the three simulated lug nuts. Then just relocate the rim cover.
Wjl7110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #9

I had the same problem, it was hard to get an air hose to those and repositioning the cap did nothing. Your RV should have came with a tool, it is about 7 inches long with a socket on the end and a smiley face that you hold with your hand. This allows you to remove the hubcaps my unscrewing the lug nuts. The lugnuts that can be unscrewed are obvious, the rest are just for show.

That tool does not work very well and it will break under pressure, you need a 1 1/8" socket to get it off easily. You can gain access that way or cut the rim to give you the clearence you need.

If re positioning the cap does not work, read on.

You can also purchase valve stem extenders, which most RV places sell. These screw on to the existing stems and allows you to route the stem to make it easier to get a hold of. But, they are flexible, so it can be a little bit of pain sometimes getting air in to them. Get the solid ones if you go that route.

Lastly, I took mine down to a tire shop and had permanent extenders (basically long stems) put in (in the rear tires). It cost about $60, but these permenant extends are rigid and long so it is easy to add air to them. These just replace the stems that are already there.

A friend of mine said they have this problem in the city with ambulances and so forth. The only put in permanent long valve stems, because of the potential of the extenders to leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjl7110 View Post
By all means, DO NOT JACK UP the RV. As was mentioned the strange T handle wrench that should have come with the unit is to be used to remove the three simulated lug nuts. Then just relocate the rim cover.
Agreed, their is some serious weight and danger in that idea (if you do not have the right jack and know what your doing). Take it to a tire place if you cannot resolve it on your own. The fix should be fairly inexpensive.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
2003 Georgetown 325

My wheel covers are held on by 2 lug nuts. These lug nuts are holding ONLY the covers on. Lightly tap the lug nuts to find the ones holding the cover. They will sound solid.
Use a 1 1/8" socket to remove these nuts. Reposition the cover to the correct spot to see the stem. As mentioned above, valve extenders should be solid rather than flex. . . much easier to get air/nitrogen into the tire.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire