Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #1

Help request with Satellite TV (DIRECTV)

Just got back from our shakedown cruise in our 2017 30DS. Had issues getting any video feed from the DIRECTV antenna (Winegard G2+) using the cable tv connection in the electrical bay. That connection works fine with park cable, but not when connected with the DTV antenna.

The Winegard manual says the unit should not be used with the RV cable input, but should be connected directly to the DIRECTV box. This led to me having to run the input cable through the kitchen window, and up to the box, which is in the cabinet behind the tv. Needless to say, it was very messy and cumbersome with wires hanging everywhere in my kitchen space.

Has anyone tackled this issue?

TIA!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	133570

2015 Honda GL1800
...and a knucklehead Malamute
TouringJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #2

I don't have your unit but a Forester. Have you checked to see if your unit is satellite prepped. I thought most motorhomes from FR were nowadays. This would be a separate connection outside to connect the dish to and have a specific outlet inside that your satellite box would connect to. My connection is on the roof. These connections are straight runs with no splitters. Generally speaking you cannot use your cable TV in port on the motorhome as they often have incompatible splitters.

sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #3

Last year I fish wired a second cable and connection from the wet bay to the tv area.

It took a couple of hours, 14 feet of RG6 and one extra hole drilled where it is not visible on my unit.

I now set up the Tailgater up in the same manner as I would for CG cable without wires in the way.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

I did not want to mount my Dish antenna on the roof, so here is a link to what I did on our Coachmen Mirada.
Brought home a 2016 Coachmen Mirada 35KB

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

I had the same problem with my 2015. Ended up running the line from the Tailgater all the way up to use it, but plan on running a permanent line like BigHomey. Thanks for the posts here, very helpful.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #6

Mine didn't work well through the RV cable/sat panel, so I added a dedicated wall plate and made a drop out the bottom of the slide under the TV.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #7

I have a 370xl motor home! I put a box under the hood and ran a cable up the windshield post to the cabinet next to the tv! Just hook my dish to it a bam- Directv!
gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

Thank you all for your assistance. I've got a new weekend project to take on.
2015 Honda GL1800
...and a knucklehead Malamute
TouringJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
edm

First of all I don't know were the wires come in on your 2017 FR3 30DS. we have A 2016 FR3 30DS and there is a cabinet in front buy the door that runs from ceiling to floor. In that cabinet I ran a coax from the top shelf through to the floor and into a box. there I can connect my dish. Also I mounted our receiver on that top shelf and ran the hdmi cables to the tv from there.

Hope this has some value to you.

Good luck.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringJim View Post
Just got back from our shakedown cruise in our 2017 30DS. Had issues getting any video feed from the DIRECTV antenna (Winegard G2+) using the cable tv connection in the electrical bay. That connection works fine with park cable, but not when connected with the DTV antenna.

The Winegard manual says the unit should not be used with the RV cable input, but should be connected directly to the DIRECTV box. This led to me having to run the input cable through the kitchen window, and up to the box, which is in the cabinet behind the tv. Needless to say, it was very messy and cumbersome with wires hanging everywhere in my kitchen space.

Has anyone tackled this issue?

TIA!

Attachment 133570
The reason for not going thru the park cable input is because there may be splitters for other TV's to get cable (carryout SAT antennas do not like splitters). However; if the park cable can be made clear of splitters between the external park cable connection and the SAT receiver there will be no issues. Splitters after the SAT receiver will not be an issue. My park cable input runs directly to a TV input selector box and the splitters are after that box. The SAT receiver is inserted between the TV input selector box and park cable input. I have a GT but it is a 378TS. This may or may not add some insight for you.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite