Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #1

Help request with Satellite TV (DIRECTV)

Just got back from our shakedown cruise in our 2017 30DS. Had issues getting any video feed from the DIRECTV antenna (Winegard G2+) using the cable tv connection in the electrical bay. That connection works fine with park cable, but not when connected with the DTV antenna.

The Winegard manual says the unit should not be used with the RV cable input, but should be connected directly to the DIRECTV box. This led to me having to run the input cable through the kitchen window, and up to the box, which is in the cabinet behind the tv. Needless to say, it was very messy and cumbersome with wires hanging everywhere in my kitchen space.

Has anyone tackled this issue?

TIA!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	133570
2015 Honda GL1800
...and a knucklehead Malamute
TouringJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #2

I don't have your unit but a Forester. Have you checked to see if your unit is satellite prepped. I thought most motorhomes from FR were nowadays. This would be a separate connection outside to connect the dish to and have a specific outlet inside that your satellite box would connect to. My connection is on the roof. These connections are straight runs with no splitters. Generally speaking you cannot use your cable TV in port on the motorhome as they often have incompatible splitters.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #3

Last year I fish wired a second cable and connection from the wet bay to the tv area.

It took a couple of hours, 14 feet of RG6 and one extra hole drilled where it is not visible on my unit.

I now set up the Tailgater up in the same manner as I would for CG cable without wires in the way.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

I did not want to mount my Dish antenna on the roof, so here is a link to what I did on our Coachmen Mirada.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1356306

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

I had the same problem with my 2015. Ended up running the line from the Tailgater all the way up to use it, but plan on running a permanent line like BigHomey. Thanks for the posts here, very helpful.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #6

Mine didn't work well through the RV cable/sat panel, so I added a dedicated wall plate and made a drop out the bottom of the slide under the TV.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #7

I have a 370xl motor home! I put a box under the hood and ran a cable up the windshield post to the cabinet next to the tv! Just hook my dish to it a bam- Directv!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

Thank you all for your assistance. I've got a new weekend project to take on.
2015 Honda GL1800
Old 04-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
edm

First of all I don't know were the wires come in on your 2017 FR3 30DS. we have A 2016 FR3 30DS and there is a cabinet in front buy the door that runs from ceiling to floor. In that cabinet I ran a coax from the top shelf through to the floor and into a box. there I can connect my dish. Also I mounted our receiver on that top shelf and ran the hdmi cables to the tv from there.

Hope this has some value to you.

Good luck.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringJim View Post
Just got back from our shakedown cruise in our 2017 30DS. Had issues getting any video feed from the DIRECTV antenna (Winegard G2+) using the cable tv connection in the electrical bay. That connection works fine with park cable, but not when connected with the DTV antenna.

The Winegard manual says the unit should not be used with the RV cable input, but should be connected directly to the DIRECTV box. This led to me having to run the input cable through the kitchen window, and up to the box, which is in the cabinet behind the tv. Needless to say, it was very messy and cumbersome with wires hanging everywhere in my kitchen space.

TIA!

Attachment 133570
The reason for not going thru the park cable input is because there may be splitters for other TV's to get cable (carryout SAT antennas do not like splitters). However; if the park cable can be made clear of splitters between the external park cable connection and the SAT receiver there will be no issues. Splitters after the SAT receiver will not be an issue. My park cable input runs directly to a TV input selector box and the splitters are after that box. The SAT receiver is inserted between the TV input selector box and park cable input. I have a GT but it is a 378TS. This may or may not add some insight for you.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #11
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I installed a satellite/cable input box to the wall in the battery area. I then ran the cable through the floor, up the broom closet behind the corner molding where other wiring is. Drilled a hole to the top cubby hole where the sat box is. Ran cable from box through back of cubby hole to the tv. Nice and clean. When I hook up the portable satellite antenna I just need to run the cable under the coach and hook to the input. No problems, so far. [emoji3]

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #12

Thanks to all of you! Since mine is a 2017, I do not have the closet adjacent to the door. That sounds like the best solution, but not one I can take advantage of.
2015 Honda GL1800
Old 04-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #13

Satellite Cable

I have a 2017 FR3 30DS. You may be able to come up the wall behind the outside TV and fish a line up the coaxial cable to the main TV box in the cabinet. It may be possible with some patience.

FR3Traveler
2017 FR3 30DS
2006 GMC Canyon (toad)
CC Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:31 AM   #14

I put a wall plate and connector next to my cable input and labeled it satellite. I took out my lower right drawer in the bedroom and "carefully" drilled down through the floor. Ran the cable up through the wall with the existing cables and into the area behind the BR TV. I ran the cable through a hole to the little shelf area below the TV and to the satellite power inserter.* I ran HDMI cables through an amplified splitter to the other TVs. The satellite remote works by RF so I can use it in any room or outside.

*- the reason you can't use your existing cable line for your satellite is that your satellite dish needs power from the receiver or power inserter. (18V for basic dish from the receiver or 21V for SWM dishes from your power inserter.) The satellite dish power could damage your RVs antenna switch/amplifier and your RVs antenna switch/amplifier blocks the DC power to your dish.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #15
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringJim View Post

TIA!

Attachment 133570
I've just read through this entire thread. Good info, but didn't solve my problem. I bought a Winegard G2+ Carryout and a DIRECT TV hr24 receiver for my 2016 375AMP Thunderbolt XLR. After numerous hours on the phone with Forest River, Direct tv, and Winegard tech support, i finally got 90% signal on all 32 transponders. I had to run my G6 coax direct from the G2 dish on my roof, through an outside window and inside door to the hr24. This was because i found out that somewhere between the wetbay G6 coax satellite shore input, and the two G6 outputs in my TV cabinet, FR installed a splitter. Why FR did this remains a mystery. FR and Winegard told me to bypass the splitter with a barrel coupler. I pulled off every ceiling fan looking for the splitter to no avail. Does any one know where that splitter is. Or do i have to run a new G6 coax under the coach and up through the floor on my own?
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #16

I swear they are all wired different, even the same models. Just depends on what the crew felt like that day. Good luck finding the splitter. I have found most of them in a wall or cubby behind an internal coax faceplate.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnolasco View Post
I've just read through this entire thread. Good info, but didn't solve my problem. I bought a Winegard G2+ Carryout and a DIRECT TV hr24 receiver for my 2016 375AMP Thunderbolt XLR. After numerous hours on the phone with Forest River, Direct tv, and Winegard tech support, i finally got 90% signal on all 32 transponders. I had to run my G6 coax direct from the G2 dish on my roof, through an outside window and inside door to the hr24. This was because i found out that somewhere between the wetbay G6 coax satellite shore input, and the two G6 outputs in my TV cabinet, FR installed a splitter. Why FR did this remains a mystery. FR and Winegard told me to bypass the splitter with a barrel coupler. I pulled off every ceiling fan looking for the splitter to no avail. Does any one know where that splitter is. Or do i have to run a new G6 coax under the coach and up through the floor on my own?
You can have splitters between a satellite dish and a receiver. They just can not be the cheap crap the RV manufacturers use. They need to be power pass splitters.

http://forums.solidsignal.com/conten...ssing-splitter
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite