Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #1

Hitch height for a FR3

Hello, i am using a car tow dolly and need to know the height of the hitch. Unfortunately mine is in storage at this time.
Thanks in advance.
Wjl7110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

I'm not sure which model you have, but I have a 30DS. It is in the driveway. It measures 18" to the bottom of the receiver and about 18 1/2" at the bottom of the square hole.

I'm thinking about a dolly. Which one do you have?
BEIGE BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #3

I have the 30 DS also.
I am using the Acme car tow dolly. Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly
I like it a lot, but it is not quite as light as they make it sound. Still one of the best ones on the market.
If you get one, go for a hitch with an 8 inch or so drop. I started with a 4" drop from our last MH (class c) and it was not as level as I wanted.
Thanks again
Old 12-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Just an FYI... If you use an 8" drop you will significantly reduce your departure angle.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #5

Duckogram. I was looking at the ACME website. It states that you want to keep the dolly as level as possible. It seems to me a fairly simple process to measure the difference and determine the drop needed to accomplish a good level set up. I am not sure what you mean that it will reduce the departure angle. As long as the dolly is level, it should be fine. What am I missing?
Old 12-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

I think what he means is as you go over uneven ground or even leaving your driveway, it may drag.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

I had the 4" drop and it wasn't sufficient in giving me a more level tow dolly application. I think with some care, it will be fine.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #8

That now makes sense. I guess it should be somewhat higher even though it would not be perfectly level.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #9

Do you have air bags it the rear? If so that can affect hitch height. Best bet is to have everything together and set up from there to get it right. To many differences between vehicles to say what is right.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

I am currently using an Acme Car Tow Dolly with a 8 inch drop behind a 2016 Georgetown 328. Yes it does drag at some Service Station do to severe dips in their entrance. Poor construction. The height of the Tow Dolly should be 11 inches from the Ground or as level as possible. See FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions - Car Tow Dolly Acme Two Dolly is a well made Car Tow Dolly for a reasonable price.
dphorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #11

A32Duce, no airbags on the stock FR3 30DS.
Thanks dphoton, I would think that the hitch height would be about the same for our two MHs. It is a well made tow dolly. I would certainly recommend it.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

If you are interested in knowing the ramifications of your change you can use this calculator: https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/KurtHeckm...parture)+angle

Another FYI. There are bolt on skid rollers that attach to the bottom of the receiver that can help relieve the stress of dragging. Here is a link to some examples (not a recommendation): Ultra-Fab Steel Roller for RVs with 2" Trailer Hitches Ultra-Fab Products Skid Wheels UF48-979020
Old 12-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #13

I like the idea of Steel Rollers but these would not work on my Motorhome as the 8 inch drop has no place to install this. What drags is the Shaft of the Ball where the Nut is installed. Once you drag this part on the Pavement or Cement you can't take the Nut off. If someone has an idea how you would install this, it would be appreciated. The only way I can think of is that a Nut would have to be welded to the Steel Rollers and hopefully you could install that on the Threads of the Ball.
dphorton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch