Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Did you say two different things, you keep yours closed, but will not advise someone to keep it closed?

And yes, each camper does get sewer gas coming from it.... that is why there are roof vents. But some people, like the dear wife's poopy don't stink.

How to Install an RV Sewer Vent | eHow
Yes I did say two different things. When I'm on full hook-ups I leave my gray tanks open, when I'm not they are closed. You must be talking about someone else reread the post. How many times have you pulled into a camp site and the person before did not put the cap back on? You can walk around empty spaces and find I would guess 1/3 not covered when someone leaves, this is all BS. Do you even know how a sewer or septic system works? Give me a break. I'll bet atleast 75% of the people on this forum leave there gray tanks open. Do a poll if you don't believe me I really do not care what people do.....Reread the post you missed something.......

Old 04-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I only need to use gray water to flush my hose Mr. PHD when I'm not on full hook ups. Other then that I use my black tank flush valve to flush my line and tank after I close off my gray tanks so I do not need to do that, I guess you don't know how to flush your tanks? Your answer to dosen't even make sence to me with you even explaining it. What solids are going to fall into my gray tanks Sir? I also use odor waist break down products in my gray tanks when I'm not hook-up to full sewer . Sir your opinion is false and I stated Where dose it state to not open your gray water. So you went to a seminar and some yahoo told you that, well he's wrong to. Do you even know how your plumbing is ran? I guess not by the new statement you just made. Have a good day I know I will...... PS You must have got your PHD off the internet now I'm really impressed.
:Chuckles: Firstly I used the PhD as a joke - sorry it missed the point (see, in grad school you are required to cite sources for every word you write down that is not your own...the humor was "I am done with that now and don't care to do it again because it is a PITA )

Without going too far outside the sharing box, do you shave? Does your wife? You may not realize it but when you bathe, yous skin flakes off in places, hair come out...just a wonderful variety of biological solids go down the drain

Now as for the kitchen...those stray potato chips, bits of rice and other food particles that oopsied their way into your drain are now in your gray tank.

A very dry grey tank because you leave your flush valve open all the time.

From your sink to the sewer line, air circulates and starts to try these biologics to the bottom of your tank

Oh, and just because biologics are washed down the drain with running water does not mean they will flush out of your tank...or maybe out of your tank and into your hose

The bottom line is, what's the deal? How hard is it to keep your tank valves closed with some of that nice tank conditioner sloshing around inside, and dump as necessary?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #43
Mod free 5er

[QUOTE=HSVBamaBob;582660...Without going too far outside the sharing box, do you shave? Does your wife? You may not realize it but when you bathe, yous skin flakes off in places, hair come out...just a wonderful variety of biological solids go down the drain Now as for the kitchen...those stray potato chips, bits of rice and other food particles that oopsied their way into your drain are now in your gray tank. A very dry grey tank because you leave your flush valve open all the time. From your sink to the sewer line, air circulates and starts to try these biologics to the bottom of your tank. Oh, and just because biologics are washed down the drain with running water does not mean they will flush out of your tank...or maybe out of your tank and into your hose. The bottom line is, what's the deal? How hard is it to keep your tank valves closed with some of that nice tank conditioner sloshing around inside, and dump as necessary?[/QUOTE]

X2 Very well explained, but some will choose to ignore the logic.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I like using the grey water as it flushes with a big gush to flush any chunky residue out real quick and finish with the black tank flusher just running clear water. Some folks just like to be different for whatever reason and that's just fine.
I was working on that exact supposition as well OC.

As I understand it, the tank rinse is sort of a spray and the instructions specifically say the valve must be open during use...which would preclude the "Big Gush"
Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
:Chuckles: Firstly I used the PhD as a joke - sorry it missed the point (see, in grad school you are required to cite sources for every word you write down that is not your own...the humor was "I am done with that now and don't care to do it again because it is a PITA )

Without going too far outside the sharing box, do you shave? Does your wife? You may not realize it but when you bathe, yous skin flakes off in places, hair come out...just a wonderful variety of biological solids go down the drain

Now as for the kitchen...those stray potato chips, bits of rice and other food particles that oopsied their way into your drain are now in your gray tank.

A very dry grey tank because you leave your flush valve open all the time.

From your sink to the sewer line, air circulates and starts to try these biologics to the bottom of your tank

Oh, and just because biologics are washed down the drain with running water does not mean they will flush out of your tank...or maybe out of your tank and into your hose

The bottom line is, what's the deal? How hard is it to keep your tank valves closed with some of that nice tank conditioner sloshing around inside, and dump as necessary?
Please I have nothing against you but I really do not worry about shedding skin like a snake. I also use an electric razor. Just like that I'm saying people do different things. Your blanket statement was just wrong. If you don't think that sewer gas is coming out of your vent pipe with the black tank closed is wrong. I know that is not what you meant. I'm really not to worry about my particles of food either. My wife pre washes everything before it go's in that sink in a bucket outside. We have been around the block a few times. It is okay to disagree, each person lives there own life. I just do not like blanket statements made to someone asking for help. I'm sure you beleive that and more power to you I just don't. Now I guess If your in Goshen I can't leave you a surprise on your door step now. I was thinking about it....

Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #46
Oklahoma Proud

Main reason for plumbing vents Is for the air to be able to exit pipes when water is displacing it. Otherwise water won't drain or will gurgle.
Ps. My septic system has no vent nor does anybody elses if installed correctly.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
I was working on that exact supposition as well OC.

As I understand it, the tank rinse is sort of a spray and the instructions specifically say the valve must be open during use...which would preclude the "Big Gush"
here is your misconception. I do not know how your units are plumbed My gray tank has nothing to do with the black. After my black tank is empty then I open the gray they are not connected at all except for 8" at the end of the 4" pvc drain. The gray water will not help your black tank at all only to clean that 8"'s and your hose. That Old Goat is wrong to.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #48
Mod free 5er

Quote:
here is your misconception. I do not know how your units are plumbed My gray tank has nothing to do with the black. After my black tank is empty then I open the gray they are not connected at all except for 8" at the end of the 4" pvc drain. The gray water will not help your black tank at all only to clean that 8"'s and your hose. That Old Goat is wrong to.
You say you leave your grey tanks open, then you close them and empty your black and now you say you open the grey to flush the tank. Make up your mind. Oh, BTW here is a picture of the sticker which reiterates what Bob said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01202.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	49404  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #49

Quote:
You say you leave your grey tanks open, then you close them and empty your black and now you say you open the grey to flush the tank. Make up your mind. Oh, BTW here is a picture of the sticker which reiterates what Bob said.

Come on. That's just a "lawyer sticker" so that somebody who hooked up to this with the black tank closed and flooded their camper doesn't sue the manufacturer.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #50
rip

The official open or close rules are... well, I haven't read any research-based rules published in a scientific journal, just personal preferences or FRF recommendations.

I formed my own preferences over the past three years. These are preferences, not the ten-commandments of waste management. When on full-hookup, I keep both dark and gray drain doors closed until tanks seem full or until I simply feel like going through my tank drain routine.

I developed my closed-door policy after several trips where I observed some interesting things crawling out of those plastic drain tubes in campgrounds. No science here, no odor problem, no myth, just decided I didn't want to give those an opportunity to visit my tanks.

If you see them sometime, you may decide to do the same. They obviously aren't everywhere, but I don't spend a lot of time checking those ground tubes to verify if they're there or not.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #51

Quote:
There is nothing at all wrong with the way I said it. As far as that label go's it only there so if you close off your black valve and leave it run it will over flow that's all has no other reason. It makes them non responsible has nothing to do with the operation at all. The tank will fill with water when you think you are full or 3/4 full pull your valve and get a good flush. I know of this pretty big bridge I can sell you, Sorry that you and your buddy are wrong Old Man. Besides it nobody business how I flush my tanks, I didn't see you handing me any money when I bought it. When my propane runs out I trade them in for a new trailer full with propane if it is any of your business anyway. Since your not going to Goshen I ship it to you via UPS..... You can add it to the rest of this BS. If you read the post I said I do that when I'm not on full hook-ups, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR BLACK TANK>

Old 04-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #52
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
The official open or close rules are... well, I haven't read any research-based rules published in a scientific journal, just personal preferences or FRF recommendations.

I formed my own preferences over the past three years. These are preferences, not the ten-commandments of waste management. When on full-hookup, I keep both dark and gray drain doors closed until tanks seem full or until I simply feel like going through my tank drain routine.

I developed my closed-door policy after several trips where I observed some interesting things crawling out of those plastic drain tubes in campgrounds. No science here, no odor problem, no myth, just decided I didn't want to give those an opportunity to visit my tanks.

If you see them sometime, you may decide to do the same. They obviously aren't everywhere, but I don't spend a lot of time checking those ground tubes to verify if they're there or not.
X2, very well said, but some folks will have to learn the hard way...
Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR BLACK TANK>
OK guys, let's be careful in our words. I suggest reading the OP's questions and see if we can get back to that, so we don't have to edit things.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #54

If the gray valve is open you could get a sewer gas smell when one of your neighbour dumps their tanks. Plus the odor from the gray water can be stronger then the smell of the black tank. When the CG is full and several of the campers leave their gray valve open you can tell when someone is dumping.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Please I have nothing against you but I really do not worry about shedding skin like a snake. I also use an electric razor. Just like that I'm saying people do different things. Your blanket statement was just wrong. If you don't think that sewer gas is coming out of your vent pipe with the black tank closed is wrong. I know that is not what you meant. I'm really not to worry about my particles of food either. My wife pre washes everything before it go's in that sink in a bucket outside. We have been around the block a few times. It is okay to disagree, each person lives there own life. I just do not like blanket statements made to someone asking for help. I'm sure you beleive that and more power to you I just don't. Now I guess If your in Goshen I can't leave you a surprise on your door step now. I was thinking about it....
Well heck buddy, we can agree to disagree and still be friends

Yep, me and '6 Actual' will be in Goshen...and it depends on the surprise...if it is yummy drinkable or edible

If it involves lighting a "filled" paper bag on fire at our doorstep and ringing the bell....well I would not worry about me...now '6 Actual' ...well all I can say is dead man walking
Old 04-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

To help paint a picture of the ground tube issues. I was at one campground (I think the Frankenmuth Jellystone but not 100%) where the sewer pipe was just 18" of pipe jammed in the ground. Easily pulled out. Looking at the bottom, it it was just an open dirt space that connected that tube to the horizontal tube running under the campsite to who knows where.

Since then I haven't trusted any sewer hookup to be properly plumbed. Instead I treat full hookup sites as "Dump station, no waiting." sites. A lot of times I don't even bother hooking up the sewer hose until I need to dump. The way my kids use the facilities (Look daddy, water's going down the hole. Yes dear, now please get your foot off the pedal before you fill daddy's tanks.) that's about every 36 hours.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #57

Quote:
<SNIP>

Hmmmm....X2 but ya know, I had'nt considered THAT aspect...and yeah I am aware of that which you speak and thinking of having them hitchhiking back home with us in our holding tanks (and from the gray, by default, lead to our fresh water lines) mmmm NO. I will maintain a closed door policy
Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #58

Quote:
Please tell me why you should not leave your gray water tank open hooked to a sewer? I understand about the black tank, but the gray water I would like to here your reason behind that myth. This should be good... who made up these rules that you quoted?
Soap scum build up

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Old 04-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If the gray valve is open you could get a sewer gas smell when one of your neighbour dumps their tanks. Plus the odor from the gray water can be stronger then the smell of the black tank. When the CG is full and several of the campers leave their gray valve open you can tell when someone is dumping.
Well I can say the same thing I can smell your unit when you don't dump.....

Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #60
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Julie View Post
Soap scum build up

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Dump a little Super Clean in the drain with some water after you close the galley tank. The Super Clean will remove the soap scum and grease. When you dump before you leave, close the valves and pour some Super Clean (about a cup), a cup of Pinesol, about 2-3 gal of water and tow it home. The solution will rinse the tanks and remove scum, etc. Drain the next time you get to a campground or dump station.

Tags
tank