Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Did you say two different things, you keep yours closed, but will not advise someone to keep it closed?

And yes, each camper does get sewer gas coming from it.... that is why there are roof vents. But some people, like the dear wife's poopy don't stink.

How to Install an RV Sewer Vent | eHow
Yes I did say two different things. When I'm on full hook-ups I leave my gray tanks open, when I'm not they are closed. You must be talking about someone else reread the post. How many times have you pulled into a camp site and the person before did not put the cap back on? You can walk around empty spaces and find I would guess 1/3 not covered when someone leaves, this is all BS. Do you even know how a sewer or septic system works? Give me a break. I'll bet atleast 75% of the people on this forum leave there gray tanks open. Do a poll if you don't believe me I really do not care what people do.....Reread the post you missed something.......
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I only need to use gray water to flush my hose Mr. PHD when I'm not on full hook ups. Other then that I use my black tank flush valve to flush my line and tank after I close off my gray tanks so I do not need to do that, I guess you don't know how to flush your tanks? Your answer to dosen't even make sence to me with you even explaining it. What solids are going to fall into my gray tanks Sir? I also use odor waist break down products in my gray tanks when I'm not hook-up to full sewer . Sir your opinion is false and I stated Where dose it state to not open your gray water. So you went to a seminar and some yahoo told you that, well he's wrong to. Do you even know how your plumbing is ran? I guess not by the new statement you just made. Have a good day I know I will...... PS You must have got your PHD off the internet now I'm really impressed.
:Chuckles: Firstly I used the PhD as a joke - sorry it missed the point (see, in grad school you are required to cite sources for every word you write down that is not your own...the humor was "I am done with that now and don't care to do it again because it is a PITA )

Without going too far outside the sharing box, do you shave? Does your wife? You may not realize it but when you bathe, yous skin flakes off in places, hair come out...just a wonderful variety of biological solids go down the drain

Now as for the kitchen...those stray potato chips, bits of rice and other food particles that oopsied their way into your drain are now in your gray tank.

A very dry grey tank because you leave your flush valve open all the time.

From your sink to the sewer line, air circulates and starts to try these biologics to the bottom of your tank

Oh, and just because biologics are washed down the drain with running water does not mean they will flush out of your tank...or maybe out of your tank and into your hose

The bottom line is, what's the deal? How hard is it to keep your tank valves closed with some of that nice tank conditioner sloshing around inside, and dump as necessary?
__________________

__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #43
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
[QUOTE=HSVBamaBob;582660...Without going too far outside the sharing box, do you shave? Does your wife? You may not realize it but when you bathe, yous skin flakes off in places, hair come out...just a wonderful variety of biological solids go down the drain Now as for the kitchen...those stray potato chips, bits of rice and other food particles that oopsied their way into your drain are now in your gray tank. A very dry grey tank because you leave your flush valve open all the time. From your sink to the sewer line, air circulates and starts to try these biologics to the bottom of your tank. Oh, and just because biologics are washed down the drain with running water does not mean they will flush out of your tank...or maybe out of your tank and into your hose. The bottom line is, what's the deal? How hard is it to keep your tank valves closed with some of that nice tank conditioner sloshing around inside, and dump as necessary?[/QUOTE]

X2 Very well explained, but some will choose to ignore the logic.
__________________
OldCoot is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I like using the grey water as it flushes with a big gush to flush any chunky residue out real quick and finish with the black tank flusher just running clear water. Some folks just like to be different for whatever reason and that's just fine.
I was working on that exact supposition as well OC.

As I understand it, the tank rinse is sort of a spray and the instructions specifically say the valve must be open during use...which would preclude the "Big Gush"
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
:Chuckles: Firstly I used the PhD as a joke - sorry it missed the point (see, in grad school you are required to cite sources for every word you write down that is not your own...the humor was "I am done with that now and don't care to do it again because it is a PITA )

Without going too far outside the sharing box, do you shave? Does your wife? You may not realize it but when you bathe, yous skin flakes off in places, hair come out...just a wonderful variety of biological solids go down the drain

Now as for the kitchen...those stray potato chips, bits of rice and other food particles that oopsied their way into your drain are now in your gray tank.

A very dry grey tank because you leave your flush valve open all the time.

From your sink to the sewer line, air circulates and starts to try these biologics to the bottom of your tank

Oh, and just because biologics are washed down the drain with running water does not mean they will flush out of your tank...or maybe out of your tank and into your hose

The bottom line is, what's the deal? How hard is it to keep your tank valves closed with some of that nice tank conditioner sloshing around inside, and dump as necessary?
Please I have nothing against you but I really do not worry about shedding skin like a snake. I also use an electric razor. Just like that I'm saying people do different things. Your blanket statement was just wrong. If you don't think that sewer gas is coming out of your vent pipe with the black tank closed is wrong. I know that is not what you meant. I'm really not to worry about my particles of food either. My wife pre washes everything before it go's in that sink in a bucket outside. We have been around the block a few times. It is okay to disagree, each person lives there own life. I just do not like blanket statements made to someone asking for help. I'm sure you beleive that and more power to you I just don't. Now I guess If your in Goshen I can't leave you a surprise on your door step now. I was thinking about it....
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #46
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,774
Main reason for plumbing vents Is for the air to be able to exit pipes when water is displacing it. Otherwise water won't drain or will gurgle.
Ps. My septic system has no vent nor does anybody elses if installed correctly.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
__________________
MillerTime is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
I was working on that exact supposition as well OC.

As I understand it, the tank rinse is sort of a spray and the instructions specifically say the valve must be open during use...which would preclude the "Big Gush"
here is your misconception. I do not know how your units are plumbed My gray tank has nothing to do with the black. After my black tank is empty then I open the gray they are not connected at all except for 8" at the end of the 4" pvc drain. The gray water will not help your black tank at all only to clean that 8"'s and your hose. That Old Goat is wrong to.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #48
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
here is your misconception. I do not know how your units are plumbed My gray tank has nothing to do with the black. After my black tank is empty then I open the gray they are not connected at all except for 8" at the end of the 4" pvc drain. The gray water will not help your black tank at all only to clean that 8"'s and your hose. That Old Goat is wrong to.
You say you leave your grey tanks open, then you close them and empty your black and now you say you open the grey to flush the tank. Make up your mind. Oh, BTW here is a picture of the sticker which reiterates what Bob said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01202.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	49404  
__________________
OldCoot is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
tanddc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You say you leave your grey tanks open, then you close them and empty your black and now you say you open the grey to flush the tank. Make up your mind. Oh, BTW here is a picture of the sticker which reiterates what Bob said.

Come on. That's just a "lawyer sticker" so that somebody who hooked up to this with the black tank closed and flooded their camper doesn't sue the manufacturer.

__________________
tanddc is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #50
rip
Senior Member
 
rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 343
The official open or close rules are... well, I haven't read any research-based rules published in a scientific journal, just personal preferences or FRF recommendations.

I formed my own preferences over the past three years. These are preferences, not the ten-commandments of waste management. When on full-hookup, I keep both dark and gray drain doors closed until tanks seem full or until I simply feel like going through my tank drain routine.

I developed my closed-door policy after several trips where I observed some interesting things crawling out of those plastic drain tubes in campgrounds. No science here, no odor problem, no myth, just decided I didn't want to give those an opportunity to visit my tanks.

If you see them sometime, you may decide to do the same. They obviously aren't everywhere, but I don't spend a lot of time checking those ground tubes to verify if they're there or not.
__________________

__________________
Ray
+ 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
+ 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Z71
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.