Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #21

Leaving the gray open means you are now the vent for sewer gases for the ENTIRE CG. If you are fine with this, check with those around you. They may not. Just take a deep breath, if you dare.
Master Blaster of the Navy
Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Leaving the gray open means you are now the vent for sewer gases for the ENTIRE CG. If you are fine with this, check with those around you. They may not. Just take a deep breath, if you dare.
X2, your P traps won't stop it either as the tanks are vented.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Always Learning

Interesting, we leave our gray tanks open and have never caught smells around the camper (and we're pretty particular about smells).
Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Interesting, we leave our gray tanks open and have never caught smells around the camper (and we're pretty particular about smells).
Those with diapers still being changed are kinda immune to the odor.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Those with diapers still being changed are kinda immune to the odor.
Au contraire- just the opposite. We're stink fighters!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
I have been camping a long time and never got any sewer gas coming in my trailer. Are you sure that is where your smell is coming from or is just from statements like that? As far as using the gray water to flush your hose, I do not know or care what you do but I flush my black tank every time I dump it. So I really do not or will not stop leaving my gray tank closed when I connected to the sewer. That is your and his opinion only. Let me say this when you camp and it drops below freezing to protect my system I always drip water, If I drip water all night the tank would overflow. Your a little bit far out there to advise someone to keep it closed, that in my opinion........

Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #27

Quote:
If the tanks are vented where is the smell going? How many times have you found that people never replace the cap on the system when they leave. Funny I do not smell that at all. Where the hell do you people camp with full hook-ups that smell is a problem. That statement is just plain BS. I wish that your Old A-- was going to Goshen so I could camp next to you and have you complain about the smell my unit is putting off because my gray water tank is open....... The Statement is incorrect and should not be told to a new guy asking questions........

Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #28

Quote:
I surprised that you even agree with that statement do you know how a septic system works or even some CG are hooked to City Sewer systems. the smell I smell is the do-do you just step in with that statement....

Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #29
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
X2

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If the tanks are vented where is the smell going? How many times have you found that people never replace the cap on the system when they leave. Funny I do not smell that at all. Where the hell do you people camp with full hook-ups that smell is a problem. That statement is just plain BS. I wish that your Old A-- was going to Goshen so I could camp next to you and have you complain about the smell my unit is putting off because my gray water tank is open....... The Statement is incorrect and should not be told to a new guy asking questions........
The tanks vent to the outside through the roof vent or the sidewall vents. Duh!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #31

Quote:
The tanks vent to the outside through the roof vent or the sidewall vents. Duh!
well what dose that mean, If your on a septic system depending on the size the holding tanks all vent to the atmosphere. Maybe you should stay at a nasty hotel so you won't be offended by odors at all. Or maybe be located next to the tank itself. Have you ever seen the 6" pvc pipes coming out of the ground, well that is where it's vented. People who do not clean up after there dogs is way more offensive to me, then leaving my gray tank open. What is in your coffee today?....

Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Lightbulb

OK, the holding tank indication system is the most misunderstood system on the RV.

1) The lights work by the water/slime making a connection between the level probes through the liquid to the "common" probe. In the attached photo, the far left "single" probe is "common" and the right side three probes indicate "level" by the different resistors attached. As the probes are covered, they route power through a resistor pack and the voltage drop is interpreted by the control display by turning on the appropriate light. (see attached diagram).

2) Wall slime will also make an electrical connection (of varying resistance) even though the tank is physically empty (a common error).

3) Since the OEM probes are flat "buttons," TP does not "hang on them" (a commonly - an erroneously - reported cause of bad readings).

4) Readings may be "marked" F, 2/3, 1/3, AND E; but the actual amount of liquid in the tank at each light depends on how the installer drilled the holes and the shape of the holding tank.

The E light is always on provided there is a minimum voltage of 6 volts available to the display panel. It is the "ON" light.

In the photo, the 1/3 light is actually a "NOT EMPTY" light since a single flush will turn it on.

The 2/3 light is actually a 1/2 full light and the F light is actually about 7/8 of a tank.

(Also note that the "BATTERY" condition display is NOT F, 2/3, 1/3, and E. It is C for charging, G for GOOD, F for FAIR and L for LOW) As an FYI, when the G light goes out you have less than 50% capacity remaining. The L light will stay lit till the battery is destroyed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 008.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	49296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 044.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	49297   Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroMonitor.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	49300   Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091217.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	49301  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KIB Monitor Panel M21 Wireing Diagram.pdf (51.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf Micro Monitor Panel Troubleshooting.pdf (149.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Please tell me why you should not leave your gray water tank open hooked to a sewer? I understand about the black tank, but the gray water I would like to here your reason behind that myth. This should be good... who made up these rules that you quoted?

Well for one glijurczyk.....whatcha gonna flush out your sewer with if your gray tank is empty?

Second, unless you are pretty scrupulous, SOME solids will get into your gray water (��&#128169 if you do not have a pool for these to fall in, they just plop on the bottom, possibly dry and adhere to the tank and....bingo you have the beginnings of tank build up.

As to who made up the rules? Beats me! Notes I took during a seminar, something someone told me at a dump tank....ever sine I got my PhD, I have had an aversion to maintaining lists of primary research resources
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Well for one glijurczyk.....whatcha gonna flush out your sewer with if your gray tank is empty?

Second, unless you are pretty scrupulous, SOME solids will get into your gray water (😝&#128169 if you do not have a pool for these to fall in, they just plop on the bottom, possibly dry and adhere to the tank and....bingo you have the beginnings of tank build up.

As to who made up the rules? Beats me! Notes I took during a seminar, something someone told me at a dump tank....ever sine I got my PhD, I have had an aversion to maintaining lists of primary research resources 😛😛😛
PLUS ONE
Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #35

Quote:

Second, unless you are pretty scrupulous, SOME solids will get into your gray water (����) if you do not have a pool for these to fall in, they just plop on the bottom, possibly dry and adhere to the tank and....bingo you have the beginnings of tank build up.

As to who made up the rules? Beats me! Notes I took during a seminar, something someone told me at a dump tank....ever sine I got my PhD, I have had an aversion to maintaining lists of primary research resources ������
I flush out my sewer hose with the same hose I use for flushing the black tank. Works just as well as gray water.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
You dudes are killing me! lol. As an FYI, my site here in FL has been dry since the rain stopped Saturday afternoon!
Aquaman,The above statement can only be true if you joined AA! Youroo!!See you at the (Tadpole Rally)!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #37

Quote:

Second, unless you are pretty scrupulous, SOME solids will get into your gray water (����) if you do not have a pool for these to fall in, they just plop on the bottom, possibly dry and adhere to the tank and....bingo you have the beginnings of tank build up.

As to who made up the rules? Beats me! Notes I took during a seminar, something someone told me at a dump tank....ever sine I got my PhD, I have had an aversion to maintaining lists of primary research resources ������
I only need to use gray water to flush my hose Mr. PHD when I'm not on full hook ups. Other then that I use my black tank flush valve to flush my line and tank after I close off my gray tanks so I do not need to do that, I guess you don't know how to flush your tanks? Your answer to dosen't even make sence to me with you even explaining it. What solids are going to fall into my gray tanks Sir? I also use odor waist break down products in my gray tanks when I'm not hook-up to full sewer . Sir your opinion is false and I stated Where dose it state to not open your gray water. So you went to a seminar and some yahoo told you that, well he's wrong to. Do you even know how your plumbing is ran? I guess not by the new statement you just made. Have a good day I know I will...... PS You must have got your PHD off the internet now I'm really impressed.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #38

Quote:
I have been camping a long time and never got any sewer gas coming in my trailer. Are you sure that is where your smell is coming from or is just from statements like that? As far as using the gray water to flush your hose, I do not know or care what you do but I flush my black tank every time I dump it. So I really do not or will not stop leaving my gray tank closed when I connected to the sewer. That is your and his opinion only. Let me say this when you camp and it drops below freezing to protect my system I always drip water, If I drip water all night the tank would overflow. Your a little bit far out there to advise someone to keep it closed, that in my opinion........

Did you say two different things, you keep yours closed, but will not advise someone to keep it closed?

And yes, each camper does get sewer gas coming from it.... that is why there are roof vents. But some people, like the dear wife's poopy don't stink.

How to Install an RV Sewer Vent | eHow

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 04-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I flush out my sewer hose with the same hose I use for flushing the black tank. Works just as well as gray water.
I like using the grey water as it flushes with a big gush to flush any chunky residue out real quick and finish with the black tank flusher just running clear water. Some folks just like to be different for whatever reason and that's just fine.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
(Also note that the "BATTERY" condition display is NOT F, 2/3, 1/3, and E. It is C for charging, G for GOOD, F for FAIR and L for LOW) As an FYI, when the G light goes out you have less than 50% capacity remaining. The L light will stay lit till the battery is destroyed.
Good to know. I don't recall it being labeled on my display so I has always assumed the F, 2/3, 1/3 labels applied to both rows of leds.

I also never really trusted that as a reliable measure of battery capacity and just use it to double check whether or not I had hit the disconnect when the TT's in storage and the slide's in. (My disconnect is hidden when the slide's closed.)

Still, good to know.

Tags
tank