Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater Module Loose

I have a 2016 FR3 30DS with approximately 17,000 miles and I just noticed that the hot water heater module seems to be loose when viewing the exterior ring relative to body side (see photos). Tomorrow it is schedule for an annual checkup and warranty review. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks. Jim Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471218411.897938.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	117272Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471218432.367753.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	117273

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Jim Wiemels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #2

Mine has done the same thing. I just sealed the bottom with silicone caulk.

Please keep us updated with what they find and how they fix it.

The reason mine pulled away is they are using the bottom of the compartment to support the unit and with the weight of the heater and water in the heater it is causing the compartment bottom to deform.
KYSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #3

That outside trim ring locates the water heater. There are 4 screws that screw it to the water heater. Tighten them down a bit and apply a bead of Dicor around the outside
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Hot Water Heater Module Loose

Mine was not caused by the trim or loose screws. It was from the water heater deforming the floor. I could get the trim flush with the side of the rv by shimming up the water heater inside of the compartment, but I did the easy fix with silicone and the real repair is on my list of things to do.

The water heater is supported by one piece of wood in the compartment, not a nice shelf like most other motor homes or campers.
KYSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:28 AM   #5

Thanks for posting this along with the pictures. I just noticed two weeks ago that mine is doing the exact same thing. Here is one more thing to add to my list of things the dealer needs to fix. Ugh!
elw5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #6

I had the same problem with my 2011 Georgetown. The problem was that the water heater is supported in the compartment by two boards that press against the foam insulation of the tank. As you drive, the foam compresses as the heater bounces against the boards and the compartment floor changes shape allowing the heater to drop at its rear causing the front panel to pop out, as yours did.

My dealer's solution was to put a plywood support board under the water heater. Not only does the provide a wider support area but it also puts all of the weight of the heater on the edges of the compartment which prevents the bottom of the compartment from sagging under the weight of the filled heater.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

Just as a follow, I picked up our FR3 30DS at the dealer Monday as they addressed a list of issues under the one year warranty. The dealer indicated that relative to the hot water heater module loose per the photos of my original posting, they repositioned the hot water heater in the opening, tightened all the screws and resealed the outer ring. The FR3 was purchased September 2015, now has 19,300 miles and just left on a 6,000 mile trip between now and mid-December. Our son and family are touring North America over 11 months starting this past January, the reason for all the miles in a short time. We are going to wait and see if the fix works, but should know soon.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Jim Wiemels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater, modifications