Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #1

How does the fridge work

We can't seem to figure out this fridge...... sonetimes the fridge goes out when we leave the rv for four or five days and we come home to moldy fridge. . Other times it's fine. We are boondocking not hooked to shore. Soooo... what's the secret to keeping the fridge going? I've heard it switches from electric to gas automatically?? Does that mean when we are boondocking it takes from the battery? Or is that only the case when hooked to shore? And does gas only need the battery??? I appreciate all the help I can get here thank you so so much
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #2

Is it a two way or three way ? I run mine on gas 90% of the time but you do need 12 volts to keep the fridge working even on gas . could your batt. dropped to low to keep the Rifde on ? Did you run out of gas ? if you fridge is capable of running on 12 volt only did you voltage drop to low . how are you keeping your batts charged ?

My fridge runs only on Gas or 120 volt (like shore power or generator) thats why i like gas and it works a little better in the summer
Old 08-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #3

Does the burner ignite? My new TT fridge wasn't working on propane. I found that although the gas was flowing and it seemed to have a good spark, it wasn't igniting the gas. I made the gap for the spark a little longer and now it works great on propane.
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:31 PM   #4

You have a choice of 'auto' or 'gas', if you run on auto and you are plugged into shore power or if feeding 110 volt from a generator the fridge will run on 110 volt. If you are not using 110 volt while in auto mode it will check for the presence of propane and automatically switch to gas if present. In either case (gas or 110 volt) the fridges controls are ran by 12 volt battery power so yes you must have 12 volts available even when on propane or it won't run. If 110 volt is available your TT your TT converter will provide the 12 volts to charge the battery thus supplying the fridge as well. The TT heater uses propane for the flame but uses 12 volts for the control circuit and the fan motor. Your battery disconnect switch needs to be on at all times when camping or stuf won't work, this switch is more for when the TT is stored or not in service. You need a way to keep your house batteries charged the options are: Shore power, generator, solar. Do not rely on you TV to charge the house batteries. The same things apply to a MH except the chassis battery/alternator does a better job of charging the coach batteries than the TT setup.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:33 AM   #5
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
We can't seem to figure out this fridge......
What fridge? Make, model, year?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:13 AM   #6

This runs (Hand in Hand) with your other Post tonight,(Dead Batt)! You have (Fridge,and all Parasite loads) on (Without Shore Power) for a Week+! That is why your Food is Moldy and the Batt flat on your FR3! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

Batts X2 exactly !
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
Site Team

If you are going to leave for 4-5 days and do not have shore power to charge the battery, your best solution is solar. As mentioned the fridge needs 12V for the control board ( even on propane) and if the voltage drops below threshold voltage, it shuts down ( safety feature). You may still have lights but not enough voltage to run the fridge.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:45 PM   #9

Thank you everyone. Yoo roo and Batts joy thank you for connecting the dots xo
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
Thank you everyone. Yoo roo and Batts joy thank you for connecting the dots xo
You are welcome, more than happy to help. Enjoy
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #11

If stored outside like we do, solar is magical. We never turn off batteries. They are always topped off. 2-100 watt panels. Batteries now 4 yrs old and perfect working condition. Windynation.com. 200 watt setup compete with everything you need to install except 8 big sheetmatal screws and some Dicor. About $345.00; w free UPS delivery. Or save a little and pick it up at WillCall in Ventura, CA.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge