Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #41
txkreddog

Have to agree with the DW on this one. If both tanks aren't at least 2/3 full before we pull out of the camp site, we fill them up to that level, then empty them at the dump station. As others have posted, why haul that stuff around, and nothing good is going on down there if you leave the tanks partly full.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
...How many CG have you seen with recycle bins?...
Both campgrounds we stay at in FL have recycle bins and the amazing thing is, people actually use them, as do we!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #43

All California state campgrounds have recycle containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:14 PM   #44

No recycling bins at the campgrounds I been to. The thing said the most on this forum about black tank maintenance is "use lots of water". Now someone is being ridiculed for doing just that. Might be doing it a little different, but still doing what many have said to do.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
No recycling bins at the campgrounds I been to. The thing said the most on this forum about black tank maintenance is "use lots of water". Now someone is being ridiculed for doing just that. Might be doing it a little different, but still doing what many have said to do.
The difference is use plenty of water WHEN you flush, not running clean water thru the tank for 20 minutes after it's emptied.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #46

I have so far only used the Black Tank flusher once,,, only ran it for a couple of minutes,,, water was clean so I shut it off,,, it would seam to me that running it for 20 minutes would use a hell of a lot more water than 4 - 6 gallons ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #47

My blackwater tank shows 2/3 full even after it's been dumped. It this just buildup on the sensors? I am clueless about what type of sensors this has.
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegstrup View Post
My blackwater tank shows 2/3 full even after it's been dumped. It this just buildup on the sensors? I am clueless about what type of sensors this has.
Yes I would guess sensor is dirty,,, had that happen a few years back with our Flagstaff TT,,, you can buy a tank cleaner,,, I filled ours with some bleach in the water,,, let it set a couple of days,,, and it worked fine !!!

I am using the GEO method now,,, and adding the soap & calgon right after we dump,,, hoping it is cleaning while we are driving home !!!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #49

There is no reason to fill a black tank if it is not full just to dump and you should never hold up other campers behind you rinsing your tank for a prolonged time has camping etiquette completely gone I guess people will be walking thru my campsite next for a shortcut some things you just don't do when at a campground unless it's on your rv space and not interfering with others just a little common sense

Old 08-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
There is no reason to fill a black tank if it is not full just to dump and you should never hold up other campers behind you rinsing your tank for a prolonged time has camping etiquette completely gone I guess people will be walking thru my campsite next for a shortcut some things you just don't do when at a campground unless it's on your rv space and not interfering with others just a little common sense

So tell me when I'm supposed to clean my tank, I have no dump station close to home where I can go. All dumping and cleaning must take place where I camp.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post

Lol, I got a good laugh about "people will be walking thru my campsite". There's a whole lot of people that need to learn that little piece of etiquette.
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #52
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Try to plan your dump at the camp ground so your not with the 100 other folks in line. You can do the clean out but don't lolly gag around. I do mine every trip and no problems. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegstrup View Post
Lol, I got a good laugh about "people will be walking thru my campsite". There's a whole lot of people that need to learn that little piece of etiquette.

X2

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #54

You are exactly right a lot of campers have no etiquette but most do and there are many that just don't know any better and you dump at a dump station and do it as quick as you can if you have a line behind you if there is no line you can take more time but the tank don't have to flushed every time you use your rv unless it will be stored for along period and the tank should always have some water in it in mine I put chemicals and water in it a gallon or so but that comes from the fresh water tank if I'm using a dump station

Old 08-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #55

Boso : quote: ....and the tank should always have some water in it in mine I put chemicals and water in it a gallon or so .....

A 'gallon or so'... along with 'chemicals'.... hmmmmm
just how long do you think that 'gallon' is going to stay in the tank with out evaporating out the vent ?

Putting the 'chemicals' in a 'gallon or so'....why?
Why waste putting any chemicals in a 'damp tank' .... unless you have a very smelly tank and love supporting those RV chemical companies....or is it just to smell those lovely chemicals.

Do the switch to the Geo Method.... save your money....they are holding tanks 'not' septic tanks like some are lead to believe.

After a month or so out camping I always return home with 'clean dry tanks'. Then before the next trip I charge up the tanks with the 'geo method'.

Never have had a problem with the sensors, don't waste my money on expensive rv chemicals.... and I always fill and flush my tanks when I depart my rented rv camp spot.... not to 'toot-toot' my own horn...but I do not experience any foul sewer odor from my clean dry tanks.

To top it off.... I am a very etiquette camper

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #56

I think it will last a month and if I'm going to let it sit longer will add more water put enough chemicals in to start with if I'm going to store for winter it completely dry and aired out I usually let it sit with valves open for a few days with screen cap on to keep critters out as far as chemicals I have been using since 2003 and probably will until I quit using rv see no reason to quit

Old 08-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #57

Period, space, capital.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #58

It seems when you talk rv etiquette it hits a nerve or two I guess I have not iPhone typing etiquette but I do know camping etiquette

Old 08-02-2015, 05:17 AM   #59

I am hoping that by adding the GEO after dumping,,, there will be no need to do any more cleaning or flushing,,, until the next dump !!!

As for draining the Bleach & Water mix,,, I drained it in the driveway,,, I only used about a half a cup of bleach,,, so it did not hurt anything !!! That said we live in the country !!!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #60

Here's a great tip I got this summer and it works: get a bag or 2 of ice cubes and dump them in the toilet before pulling out; drive around a bit (perhaps a loop or two of the campground you're in or the way home) and dump within the hour=viola! The ice safely gets things moving in there and melts to ensure there's nothing left. This works great for us!

Someone else mentioned having to dump only at a campground-check with your local sewer district as some of them have a place for dumping.

Time to lift it up, cover it up and watch it gather snow now.
TravellingBs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank