Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

how to take off ac duct vent in 30ds

ok, so i should understand how to do this, but i can't..... The duct vents are screwed into the ceiling so it appears the only way to take it off for cleaning, viewing obstruction in the duct is to figure how how to take the swivel part off/the inside part with rorates 360. any ideas, my finger is pointed to the seam in which i believe i need to manipulate.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_120619_001.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	132184
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcoal View Post
ok, so i should understand how to do this, but i can't..... The duct vents are screwed into the ceiling so it appears the only way to take it off for cleaning, viewing obstruction in the duct is to figure how how to take the swivel part off/the inside part with rorates 360. any ideas, my finger is pointed to the seam in which i believe i need to manipulate.Attachment 132184

They will unsnap from the base with moderate gentle prying with a flat tip screwdriver. If I remember correctly there are 3 maybe 4 catches.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #3

thx larry, not the outer part as that apppears screwed in, but rather the rotating part. you saying put the flathead and pry where my finger is at ( the seam), or rather go into the louvers on two opposite ends and manipulate the clips that appear to be "hanging" on the shelf which allows it to rotate ( try to pry those off the ledge)?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Site Team

The rotating portion has a center pin that snaps into a hole in the flange. Carefully pull or pry it off putting even outward pressure on the center of the director. Once it is off, you can simply remove the screws that secure the flange to the wall/ceiling. It simply snaps back in when done.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
thx larry, not the outer part as that apppears screwed in, but rather the rotating part. you saying put the flathead and pry where my finger is at ( the seam), or rather go into the louvers on two opposite ends and manipulate the clips that appear to be "hanging" on the shelf which allows it to rotate ( try to pry those off the ledge)?

Sounds like flybob has a different setup than me. There are 3 tabs on each side, 6 total. You can see them if you look through the vent. I had removed mine to spray foam and and block off the duct area ahead of the forward and aft vents. It's a dead area and it increased my cooling capacity very much.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #6

yea i see those 3 tabs on ea end. almost like you need a hook to pry them off the ledge they ride on. a flat head screwdriver doesnt seem the easiest methos if at all
Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
yea i see those 3 tabs on ea end. almost like you need a hook to pry them off the ledge they ride on. a flat head screwdriver doesnt seem the easiest methos if at all

Your absolutely correct! It takes a bit of persuasion!
Old 03-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatcoal View Post
yea i see those 3 tabs on ea end. Almost like you need a hook to pry them off the ledge they ride on. A flat head screwdriver doesnt seem the easiest methos if at all

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	132207Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	132208
Old 03-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #9

Old 03-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #10

you da man Larry!!
Old 03-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
you da man Larry!!

[emoji6]
Old 03-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #12

Popping off the AC Ducts

Probably a 2 or 3 inch putty knife would do the trick. You will need one with a thin enough blade that will fit between the movable ring with the louvers and the base that is screwed into the ceiling. Stick it in till it makes contact with the tabs and then push harder with a twisting motion to help get the first couple of tabs to release. Then move the putty knife over a bit to get the next tab to release. If the setup is like the one in the pix. Once you get one side lose the whole ring should come off.
hmfic@bellsouth.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

Thanks guys. This is the same problem I have. There is a large piece of styrofoam in the one over the bed and a smaller on in the living room. The one in the bedroom make a bothersome noise when you are trying to sleep. I have been trying to figure out how to remove it for 3 years now.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #14

i took a video, i have 2 poeces of tape fluttering. i cant get it from underneath ac, but maybe if i open up cover to ac on the roof. i dont think i could grab it with some sort of extender arm either.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #15

this is while looking down the ductwork of course.

Tags
vent