Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #41

Quote:
I wonder why people don't just wire up a relay to add to the remote start switch, but have never really gone very far down that road
I was wondering same thing. I was going to use an arduino to make a secondary thermostat and program it 1 degree higher than the regular thermostat. Then, I can have the generator turn on/of when needed instead of constant if the A/C turns off.

But yes, My concern for the batteries lasting was negated by the 'auto start' function of the inverter. Once it see's that the batteries are low it should start the generator to 'recharge' them and at same time would kick the auto-transfer's over to generator power since it would see the generator is on.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #42

Cool, I used an Arduino to build a data logger to SD card for my Trimetric. Nice stuff. If that is your plan you are going to need that main auto transfer switch between the genny and shore power, but they are pretty cheap for 30 amps. That way your inverter will pick up the load and the autostart will begin the switchover and after the transfer switch delay...you will have A/C from the genny. Seems that the AIM autostart is simply a relay, pretty flexible.

Nice project, love to know how you make out.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #43

A 3% voltage drop is not acceptable in my installs.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
A 3% voltage drop is not acceptable in my installs.
Kenny, I know, I know. 20 feet is the way it is and 4/0 is as big as it gets. At 200 amps, that means that the feed would be dissipating 78 watts, dropping something like .39 volts, while the inverter peaks out at 2,400 (same 3%) We both know that the batteries won't support that wattage for long and I would expect that his average loads would be closer to 1,000 to 1,500 or less.

Would I like that .39 volts back when the batteries drop closer to the 50% SOC limit...sure.

2015 335DS
Old 04-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Cool, I used an Arduino to build a data logger to SD card for my Trimetric. Nice stuff. If that is your plan you are going to need that main auto transfer switch between the genny and shore power, but they are pretty cheap for 30 amps. That way your inverter will pick up the load and the autostart will begin the switchover and after the transfer switch delay...you will have A/C from the genny. Seems that the AIM autostart is simply a relay, pretty flexible.

Nice project, love to know how you make out.
Are you interested in sharing the design for the Trimetric logger?
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Are you interested in sharing the design for the Trimetric logger?
Sure...you can send me your email address at Scott@wecouldoit.com. It works perfectly and logs to an SD card. Still have some setup work to make it replicable. I had a number of email communications with Ralph at Bogart for sort of the "unwritten specs." I will have to get a theory of operations together.

We can converse on email.

Scott

2015 335DS
Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #47

I actually just picked up my shortened cables today! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	133939

Tags
inverter