Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #1

Jacks issues

So... Is it normal for the tires ti come off the ground? And why are webhaving a problem with leveling.. We use thw auto leveler and we are all scowwidget
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

The CHF could be affecting the jacks, not sure, I have not used my jacks since doing the fix. I will be buying the hellwig adjustable links just in case.

Weldon
WGFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Why would the CHF change anything with the jacks/levelers?

I've done the CHF and have had no problems. Prior to the CHF, the diode in the levelers went out, which sent the jacks all the way down and they got stuck there. Had to manually retract them and get the diode replaced.

The levelers aren't calibrated to a specific setting, that I know of, so doing the CHF would have no bearing on the jacks. My assumption is that the levelers only read what is needed to level the coach from it's current position.

If the CHF changes the geometry of the levelers then adding boards or blocks under the tires (or jacks for that matter) prior to engaging the levelers would also change the geometry and would cause problems. I've experience neither.

I say that they are unrelated. Excessive slope would cause the jacks to fully go down and lift the tires off the ground or you have a diode problem.
Meathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathouse View Post
Why would the CHF change anything with the jacks/levelers?

I've done the CHF and have had no problems. Prior to the CHF, the diode in the levelers went out, which sent the jacks all the way down and they got stuck there. Had to manually retract them and get the diode replaced.

The levelers aren't calibrated to a specific setting, that I know of, so doing the CHF would have no bearing on the jacks. My assumption is that the levelers only read what is needed to level the coach from it's current position.

If the CHF changes the geometry of the levelers then adding boards or blocks under the tires (or jacks for that matter) prior to engaging the levelers would also change the geometry and would cause problems. I've experience neither.

I say that they are unrelated. Excessive slope would cause the jacks to fully go down and lift the tires off the ground or you have a diode problem.

Not saying that it is a problem, just throwing it out there. I only mentioned it because when I was doing my research I read where someone else had a problem with their jacks after doing their CHF, it could be and probably is non related. Moving the links could shorten the movement of the suspension causing it to be pulled up with the jacks but I have only heard of a couple of people with that situation so it could be an unrelated issue.

Weldon
Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

Why did this turn into a CHF discussion?
The OP didn't mention it.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Why did this turn into a CHF discussion?
The OP didn't mention it.
I just mentioned it because of this discussion:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...x-62663-3.html

post #29 from ttincali

"I did both front and rear right before a 1800 mile trip last month because I was beginning to think I was a fool for not doing it - since everyone says this a no brainer. I had no issues prior to doing it and to be honest really didn't notice much of a difference after. But now my leveling jacks are a problem - I hit auto at the first campground since doing it and my rear tires lifted off the ground! Thinking now this was a big mistake and am going to revert back"

I thought nothing of it when I read this because this was the only person I read that had the problem and so thought it was unrelated and still might be?

Just sharing my thought on a possible...but not definite reason for his jack issues because I believe colorful64 just recently made the CHF changes.

Weldon
Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
So... Is it normal for the tires ti come off the ground? And why are webhaving a problem with leveling.. We use thw auto leveler and we are all scowwidget
I would just level the coach in MANUAL MODE. Your AUTO level probably needs to be recalibrated per the manual. Tires coming off the ground (not all 4) is not a big deal and will happen occasionally.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I've heard that tires coming off the ground is not a good thing. They say that if this happens, run what ever tires come up onto blocks to compensate and then retract jacks.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #9

2x with bubbles not to hard to do a calibration, then you know.
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #10

The leveling system in this model scares me. As I am afraid I'll over extend a jack. I don't use auto mode because it lifts all four tires off the ground. I use manual and blocks of wood. I did not know you could recalibrate the system. Did not get a leveling system manual. What's he sequence to recalibrate?

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #11

The dealership calibrated it for me. I just did the chf last weekend and then camped this week. No problem with jacks. I never saw a manual for the jacks either, maybe contact dealership and see if they will calibrate for you.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:55 AM   #12

I use my jacks in manual only, that way I'm in control. I use my own level bubbles to tell me if JeNNY is level of not. Tires off the ground not good. The RV could move, and become unstable. Also look at your situation before deploying the jacks, I carry some blocking in case l need to compensate for a imperfect world.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #13

Jacks issues

Found this on You Tube on re calibrating. Dated June 2014. Seems simple enough.

I'm suspecting that there is no internal level in the system and recalibration simply is just a memory setting.

I wonder. Should I recalibrate on bare pavement say in front of my house without jack pads and then use the jack pads later (the pads are four inch blocks) where the coach would land on automatic.

Or perhaps as I always use the same block jack pads maybe I should recalibrate with the jack pads to begin with?

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Jacks issues

Most of the FR3's, if not all, are using LCI levelers. If you go on their website, you'll find manuals that you can download.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks