Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 310
Jacks issues

So... Is it normal for the tires ti come off the ground? And why are webhaving a problem with leveling.. We use thw auto leveler and we are all scowwidget
__________________

__________________
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17
The CHF could be affecting the jacks, not sure, I have not used my jacks since doing the fix. I will be buying the hellwig adjustable links just in case.

Weldon
__________________

__________________
WGFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 42
Why would the CHF change anything with the jacks/levelers?

I've done the CHF and have had no problems. Prior to the CHF, the diode in the levelers went out, which sent the jacks all the way down and they got stuck there. Had to manually retract them and get the diode replaced.

The levelers aren't calibrated to a specific setting, that I know of, so doing the CHF would have no bearing on the jacks. My assumption is that the levelers only read what is needed to level the coach from it's current position.

If the CHF changes the geometry of the levelers then adding boards or blocks under the tires (or jacks for that matter) prior to engaging the levelers would also change the geometry and would cause problems. I've experience neither.

I say that they are unrelated. Excessive slope would cause the jacks to fully go down and lift the tires off the ground or you have a diode problem.
__________________
Meathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathouse View Post
Why would the CHF change anything with the jacks/levelers?

I've done the CHF and have had no problems. Prior to the CHF, the diode in the levelers went out, which sent the jacks all the way down and they got stuck there. Had to manually retract them and get the diode replaced.

The levelers aren't calibrated to a specific setting, that I know of, so doing the CHF would have no bearing on the jacks. My assumption is that the levelers only read what is needed to level the coach from it's current position.

If the CHF changes the geometry of the levelers then adding boards or blocks under the tires (or jacks for that matter) prior to engaging the levelers would also change the geometry and would cause problems. I've experience neither.

I say that they are unrelated. Excessive slope would cause the jacks to fully go down and lift the tires off the ground or you have a diode problem.

Not saying that it is a problem, just throwing it out there. I only mentioned it because when I was doing my research I read where someone else had a problem with their jacks after doing their CHF, it could be and probably is non related. Moving the links could shorten the movement of the suspension causing it to be pulled up with the jacks but I have only heard of a couple of people with that situation so it could be an unrelated issue.

Weldon
__________________
WGFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
dan-nickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,506
Why did this turn into a CHF discussion?
The OP didn't mention it.
__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Why did this turn into a CHF discussion?
The OP didn't mention it.
I just mentioned it because of this discussion:

Cheap Handling Fix

post #29 from ttincali

"I did both front and rear right before a 1800 mile trip last month because I was beginning to think I was a fool for not doing it - since everyone says this a no brainer. I had no issues prior to doing it and to be honest really didn't notice much of a difference after. But now my leveling jacks are a problem - I hit auto at the first campground since doing it and my rear tires lifted off the ground! Thinking now this was a big mistake and am going to revert back"

I thought nothing of it when I read this because this was the only person I read that had the problem and so thought it was unrelated and still might be?

Just sharing my thought on a possible...but not definite reason for his jack issues because I believe colorful64 just recently made the CHF changes.

Weldon
__________________
WGFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
So... Is it normal for the tires ti come off the ground? And why are webhaving a problem with leveling.. We use thw auto leveler and we are all scowwidget
I would just level the coach in MANUAL MODE. Your AUTO level probably needs to be recalibrated per the manual. Tires coming off the ground (not all 4) is not a big deal and will happen occasionally.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING
 
drivmsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 645
I've heard that tires coming off the ground is not a good thing. They say that if this happens, run what ever tires come up onto blocks to compensate and then retract jacks.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
R&J Silverback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: vancouver,wa
Posts: 122
2x with bubbles not to hard to do a calibration, then you know.
__________________
Ron & Jan and black dog(Bella)
2011 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4, 6sp manual,342's 8ft.bed
2014 CC Silverback 29ik
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Technorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 336
The leveling system in this model scares me. As I am afraid I'll over extend a jack. I don't use auto mode because it lifts all four tires off the ground. I use manual and blocks of wood. I did not know you could recalibrate the system. Did not get a leveling system manual. What's he sequence to recalibrate?



2014 FR330 DS
__________________

__________________
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jacks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.