Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
kitchen faucet leaking

So, the kitchen faucet started leaking and I decided that rather than just fix it, I should go ahead and replace it with one of better quality. The faucet has always felt a little wobbly, which I put down to being cheap.

So, my question is, has anyone done this on their FR3? It looks like I have to get up behind the sink to disconnect the faucet. That will be enough of a challenge, but I'm concerned about connecting the new one properly. I could call a repair guy, but I'd kind of like to be able to do some of this stuff myself.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30DS
__________________

__________________
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
I had to replace a broken strainer body (plastic one) in our kitchen sink.
There is not a lot of work space under there.
So if I needed to replace the faucet I think it would be easer to pull the whole sink out and remove/replace it on a work bench or table.
__________________

__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
Thanks for the suggestion, though it sounds a bit scary. I'll take a look at how the sink is attached.

B
__________________
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, though it sounds a bit scary. I'll take a look at how the sink is attached.

B
One up to doing it that way would be to put a bead of silicone under the lip to keep water from running under it.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
You mean around the lip of the sink, right?

I looked and the part that concerns me is the drain. Not clear how it comes out. I guess if worst comes to worst and I get it apart and can't get it back together, I could then call a plumber.

B
__________________
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
You mean around the lip of the sink, right?

I looked and the part that concerns me is the drain. Not clear how it comes out. I guess if worst comes to worst and I get it apart and can't get it back together, I could then call a plumber.

B
Yes around the lip of the sink, I doubt the factory does that.

As for he drain/s mine are the hand/thumb type that come apart rather easy, you could use channel locks if yours are a bit tight.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
Okay, I got the drains disconnected. But the sink is stuck on pretty good with plumbers putty. I'm using an exacto knife to clear it out, but it's still stuck. Got a pry bar under there, but I'm concerned about warping the sink. I also tried banging on it from below with a rubber mallet.

Anyone have any additional ideas on how to get this kitchen sink out?

Thanks.

Barbara
__________________
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
Never mind. Forgot to take the brackets off... duh...
__________________
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 167
Success! After only six hours, trying to take out the sink without removing the brackets, two trips to Home Depot (got the wrong faucet the first time), turning the kitties' ears blue with a few choice words, and twisting my poor aching muscles into contours, I have a new faucet.

Taking out the sink was a good suggestion. However, a note to anyone who does it, screwing those brackets back in... the ones in the back... almost freaking impossible. Finally did it by sticking the screw to the screwdriver with some leftover plumber's putty and doing it half by feel.

So far, nothing seems to be leaking.

Feels good to know I can do it... and, I hope to not have to do it again.

Barbara

2014 FR3 30DS
__________________
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Success! After only six hours, trying to take out the sink without removing the brackets, two trips to Home Depot (got the wrong faucet the first time), turning the kitties' ears blue with a few choice words, and twisting my poor aching muscles into contours, I have a new faucet.

Taking out the sink was a good suggestion. However, a note to anyone who does it, screwing those brackets back in... the ones in the back... almost freaking impossible. Finally did it by sticking the screw to the screwdriver with some leftover plumber's putty and doing it half by feel.

So far, nothing seems to be leaking.

Feels good to know I can do it... and, I hope to not have to do it again.

Barbara

2014 FR3 30DS


Buy yourself a good dinner.



I am totally surprised they used anything between the sink and the counter top.
__________________

__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
faucet, leak

« Insurance | Mirror »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.