Old 06-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #1

kitchen faucet leaking

So, the kitchen faucet started leaking and I decided that rather than just fix it, I should go ahead and replace it with one of better quality. The faucet has always felt a little wobbly, which I put down to being cheap.

So, my question is, has anyone done this on their FR3? It looks like I have to get up behind the sink to disconnect the faucet. That will be enough of a challenge, but I'm concerned about connecting the new one properly. I could call a repair guy, but I'd kind of like to be able to do some of this stuff myself.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30DS

Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #2

I had to replace a broken strainer body (plastic one) in our kitchen sink.
There is not a lot of work space under there.
So if I needed to replace the faucet I think it would be easer to pull the whole sink out and remove/replace it on a work bench or table.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion, though it sounds a bit scary. I'll take a look at how the sink is attached.

B
Old 06-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, though it sounds a bit scary. I'll take a look at how the sink is attached.

B
One up to doing it that way would be to put a bead of silicone under the lip to keep water from running under it.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

You mean around the lip of the sink, right?

I looked and the part that concerns me is the drain. Not clear how it comes out. I guess if worst comes to worst and I get it apart and can't get it back together, I could then call a plumber.

B
Old 06-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
You mean around the lip of the sink, right?

I looked and the part that concerns me is the drain. Not clear how it comes out. I guess if worst comes to worst and I get it apart and can't get it back together, I could then call a plumber.

B
Yes around the lip of the sink, I doubt the factory does that.

As for he drain/s mine are the hand/thumb type that come apart rather easy, you could use channel locks if yours are a bit tight.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #7

Okay, I got the drains disconnected. But the sink is stuck on pretty good with plumbers putty. I'm using an exacto knife to clear it out, but it's still stuck. Got a pry bar under there, but I'm concerned about warping the sink. I also tried banging on it from below with a rubber mallet.

Anyone have any additional ideas on how to get this kitchen sink out?

Thanks.

Barbara
Old 06-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #8

Never mind. Forgot to take the brackets off... duh...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #9

Success! After only six hours, trying to take out the sink without removing the brackets, two trips to Home Depot (got the wrong faucet the first time), turning the kitties' ears blue with a few choice words, and twisting my poor aching muscles into contours, I have a new faucet.

Taking out the sink was a good suggestion. However, a note to anyone who does it, screwing those brackets back in... the ones in the back... almost freaking impossible. Finally did it by sticking the screw to the screwdriver with some leftover plumber's putty and doing it half by feel.

So far, nothing seems to be leaking.

Feels good to know I can do it... and, I hope to not have to do it again.

Barbara

2014 FR3 30DS
Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Success! After only six hours, trying to take out the sink without removing the brackets, two trips to Home Depot (got the wrong faucet the first time), turning the kitties' ears blue with a few choice words, and twisting my poor aching muscles into contours, I have a new faucet.

Taking out the sink was a good suggestion. However, a note to anyone who does it, screwing those brackets back in... the ones in the back... almost freaking impossible. Finally did it by sticking the screw to the screwdriver with some leftover plumber's putty and doing it half by feel.

So far, nothing seems to be leaking.

Feels good to know I can do it... and, I hope to not have to do it again.

Barbara

2014 FR3 30DS

Buy yourself a good dinner.

I am totally surprised they used anything between the sink and the counter top.

Tags
faucet, leak

« Insurance | Mirror »