Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

leak at windshield

Has anyone had this problem? I went out to Big Ben ( our 31Ft FR3 ) and found water in the computer tray. I dried all of this up, and never had another problem until we were in the unit one day and it rained. We saw a small drip at the right side of the windshield and I looked everywhere and could not find any place where water was coming into the motor home. That has been over 4 weeks ago and we have had some good rain and still no sign of water. Has anyone else had a problem like this and what did you do. All replies are appreciated. Thanks
progolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

Yes-just recently as a matter of fact-same location. We're having our windshield replaced due to stress cracks and I'm going to ask the dealer about it then. It can't be from the cracks but perhaps from somewhere on the window mount...I'll post back in a couple weeks when we get it back.
TravellingBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Have someone check the seal of the windshield. It is possible that maybe there is an area of the windshield that the adhesive used in bonding the windshield has not separated.
FR3Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:24 AM   #4

We just returned from a trip during which it rained when we were in a RV park. Left the next morning in a light rain and noticed that water was running down the inside of the windshield. Later on the front window fogged up somewhat and you could see that it had done so numerous times before. What was really strange was after it had quit raining for a good while here comes the water down the inside of the windshield again. Makes me think that something other than the windshield is allowing water to get under the roof. Taking it in for warranty issues next week and that will be one of the items for them to trace down.
LDStaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:17 AM   #5

Leaks are all too common in the FR3. I'm writing this as I soak up water that has leaked from the AC and the windshield due to the torrential downpour we're having in central Texas. This happened to us right after we bought our 2016 30DS 6 months ago. Either get the windshield replaced or have a very good glass company seal around the perimeter of the windshield and the cap lights above the windshield.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #6

Just noticed this morning while gassing up in the dark that there are water streaks on the inside of my windshield too. Ugh. Ever so slight, like very small leaks and I live in So Cal, so not a huge problem yet. We keep hearing El Nino, that's Spanish for "the Nino", is coming though, so I guess I'll take care of it when my backup camera is being replaced. I think I've encountered just about every common problem I've read on this awesome forum. Hate to say it makes me feel better that it's not just me, but it does. Hopefully FR takes note to continually improve each model year.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antone View Post
Just noticed this morning while gassing up in the dark that there are water streaks on the inside of my windshield too. Ugh. Ever so slight, like very small leaks and I live in So Cal, so not a huge problem yet. We keep hearing El Nino, that's Spanish for "the Nino", is coming though, so I guess I'll take care of it when my backup camera is being replaced. I think I've encountered just about every common problem I've read on this awesome forum. Hate to say it makes me feel better that it's not just me, but it does. Hopefully FR takes note to continually improve each model year.

Antone

A word of warning Antone. Do NOT let the dealer repair your windshield. They don't know what they're doing. Find a windshield shop that works on motor homes. If you're in the San Bernardino area, check with Mike at Perry Auto Glass, 909.271.4593. They come to you. They replaced my windshield and we've had no problems. JMHO 😔

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #8

Cool, thanks for the heads up drivmsafe.

Antone

Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #9

Dropped our 30DS off at MHSRV for warranty issues one of which is the leaking windshield. I explained our experiences concerning the leak and the tech asked a few questions. He then went outside and to the front of the coach and pointed out that a lens was missing from one of the running lights that is in the area of the leak. Not sure if this will be the issue with others but the lights are in a recessed area, the lens is missing and between the wind and rain I assume that the water makes its way under the roof and then down the inside of the windshield. I am hoping that is the case and it turns out to be a fairly simple fix but that may not be the case at all.[
ATTACH]93031[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1446044755.834788.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	93031  
LDStaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

I've had leak issues on my 2016 FR3 30DS ever since I picked it up from MHSRV in April of this year. Take it from a guy that has gone to 3 forest river service centers for repair of this leaky windshield and just do it yourself. They couldn't get it right. I picked up a tube of Flex Shot (clear) and caulked around the top of the windshield where I knew it was leaking. I'm typing this in the middle of a torrential downpour in Austin and no leaks.

Here's info on Flex Shot:
https://www.flexshot.com/?mid=6970760
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
A word of warning Antone. Do NOT let the dealer repair your windshield. They don't know what they're doing. Find a windshield shop that works on motor homes. If you're in the San Bernardino area, check with Mike at Perry Auto Glass, 909.271.4593. They come to you. They replaced my windshield and we've had no problems. JMHO 😔

Ok, I did not heed these words of wisdom. I just picked my motorhome up from the dealer for the third time to fix the leaking windshield, Mike Thompson RV in Santa Fe Springs, brought it home, gave it a quick wash before I head out tomorrow and sure as s**t the windshield leaked again. Luckily it's not heavy leakage, just trickles, and we're in parched So Cal. I tried to have faith, they seem like nice enough guys, but the gas I've spent on 3 trips trying to get a warranty repair probably cost more than just paying OOP getting it done right once. SMH. I'm looking for someone to do it right in North OC if anyone has any recommendations.

Antone

Old 04-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #12
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Antone. Call Mike at Perry Auto Glass at the # in my response.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Antone. Call Mike at Perry Auto Glass at the # in my response.

Definitely. Thanks. Sometimes I'm to trusting.

Antone

Old 04-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #14
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I know the feeling Antone. I learned very quickly that a, unfortunately, great number of dealers are idiots. Yes, there are some good ones out there but, not many. I found a very good, qualified, service shop in Chino that I've gotten to trust. I also have a great repair guy that comes to my home to do repairs. Has over 25 years in the RV industry.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #15

There's a real down to earth mom n pop shop called Inland Valley RV off the 10 just north of Costco. Street name escapes me. I used to take my TT there when I worked in Rancho Cucamonga. Super nice people, great little shop. They do collision repair and extended warranty work. Repaired my TT nicely after a pretty gnarly blowout. The last time I was in there the owner was remodeling an older coach, doing it up real nice. Been a few years though. If you're in that area, you should go check it out. The store itself is pretty cool, I spent a few lunch breaks just browsing around.

Antone

Old 04-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #16
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I've been to IVRV also Antone. They are a good shop. I just felt more comfortable at McBride's in Chino. I am able to talk with the service people easier and get a better understanding of what's what. McBride's also will do warranty work if you have a ESP.

Tags
leak