Old 09-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #1

LED Light Strip under awning

More than half of the LED lights are out on the LED strip under the awning on our 2015 FR3 30 D. Has anyone replaced their LED strip? Im looking for some advice on how to replace. Thanks much.

Steveh49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

Try Boogey lights. Call them to order to select what you need/want. They will walk you through install once received. Very easy. We use ours in low intensity yellow mode to avoid drawing bugs.

https://www.boogeylights.com/rv-awning-light-kit.html

Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Site Team

Is it one side that's out? It might just be a bad connection. Look between the working side and the non-working side and see if there's a solder point there. If so, might just need to cut away the silicon, resolder them and put some new silicon in there. Had to do that a few times with my cheapy-from-china aftermarket led strips I had installed.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
Mine went out as well. I tried to make the connection with the thin metal but it just wouldnt hold. I wound up buying a replacement on Amazon that was easy to install.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2951.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	185580
Old 09-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
Site Team

I strongly suggest a strip with a controller that can change color and brightness. Be aware that doing this will result in a slightly more complex install as you will need to install the controller as well. A single light level one color strip will not need a controller. Also suggest you get a roll of 3M auto trim tape to install the strip as most strips use marginal adhesive.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

I've replaced my LED Awning Strip twice (*). The potted LED light strips are almost impossible to fix if some of the lights are out. They usually fail three (in a row) at a time as the LED and current limiter circuit are built out 3 LEDs at a time. So, if you see three out together, the strip is toast. From one point to the end being out could be a break in the circuit but still painful to fix.

If you are going for original equipment, make sure you get either stick on or slide in depending on what your coach had originally. Both times LED strips were ordered for me, FR first sent the wrong type. If you are using stick on, highly recommend you remove any decals from under the strip (run a razor blade along the bottom of the existing strip) before putting up the replacement to improve adhesion.

* I had 1) three LEDs that would go out when the outside temperature was above 72F and got a replacement but then 2) the whole right side of my coach had to be repainted/redecaled after cracks developed in the fiberglass coating requiring a second replacement.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #7

My under awning LED lighting hasn't failed yet, but I would like to replace it, since it us way to bright for my taste and needs. I would like to replace it for an adjustable version. Any recommendations for a high quality adjustable LED strip light?
Cujo7240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo7240 View Post
My under awning LED lighting hasn't failed yet, but I would like to replace it, since it us way to bright for my taste and needs. I would like to replace it for an adjustable version. Any recommendations for a high quality adjustable LED strip light?
Same here...

Mine are over three years old and work perfect, but I hardly ever use them because they are so bright that you will get sunburn if you stand under them long enough

When they are on...I call my 5'ver 'The Beacon'!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerDoorBungee-P1000503.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	185681   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerAwningLEDsUtah-P1020462.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	645.0 KB
ID:	185682  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh49 View Post
More than half of the LED lights are out on the LED strip under the awning on our 2015 FR3 30 D. Has anyone replaced their LED strip? Im looking for some advice on how to replace. Thanks much.
I paid 30$ over 8 years ago for multi color with a 44 button control and transformer! Direct 12v hookup so never used trans! Paid 20$ for the good 3M tape! Have Never had issues with these lights, I even ordered another set years later when the price dropped to 13$,they are still on the shelf! I bought them from Amazon! Youroo! !
Old 09-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #10

I will second the Boogie lites! Great customer support and good product. Plus I bought the blue tooth version that I can control with my iPhone and they put out a great app.

Tags
awning, led, light