Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #1

Leveling vs stability

I just recently purchased a FR3 25DS 2016 (my first RV) coming from the fifth wheel community. Do you use the jacks to stabilize the RV as well as leveling? There seems to be a mixed bag on manual vs. auto leveling. This is all brand new to me so I could use some advice as we are setting out for a week at he beach.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #2

Leveling vs stability

I have a 30DS and have found that the levelers are also great stabilizers. Even if the site is level, I still lower the jacks until I can feel them just hit the ground. As long as your tires aren't off the ground, this makes the coach very stable. If a wheel does have to be up in the air, I put a block under it. I almost always use the manual leveling method.
dutiful Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
I just recently purchased a FR3 25DS 2016 (my first RV) coming from the fifth wheel community. Do you use the jacks to stabilize the RV as well as leveling? There seems to be a mixed bag on manual vs. auto leveling. This is all brand new to me so I could use some advice as we are setting out for a week at he beach.
dD's method works well. The only thing I would add is triggered by your mention of "beach". I suggest that if you are parking on soft ground that you consider using pads under the feet to spread the weight out. The cheapest and best pads that I found were the thick plastic 11x14 (ish) cutting boards that are plentiful at WallyMart and similiar stores.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips! Really helpful.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #5

The auto-level has never agreed with my carpenters level. I alway us manual.

Mandoholic and Bassbabe

2014 FR3 30DS

Salem, Oregon
Mandoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #6

I did a "zero level calibration", I think it is called with mine. I was in a "level" parking lot. I had my jacks down and pressed auto level. When the cycle was done I used a four foot level to check how level the trailer was. It was not far off level.

I put the leveling system in manual mode and leveled manually. Once it was level I powered the leveling system off pressed, I think front and rear buttons, simultaneously 10 times.

That is what was in the manual.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

djeirlessr,
I believe you are talking about a 1/2 ton towable product. If so, your levelup is different then the motorized levelup folks are talking about in this FR3 section. I read your posts in another thread here and I dont think you are getting the information you need to address your concerns. Your jacks are adjustable (to a point) which could solve your wheels off the ground issue. You might be better served by posting in the Crusader section where folks have direct experience with your type of unit.
Vaya con Dios
Old 11-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Though it could end up the same you are really leveling the ammonia powered fridge.
Using the floor of the the freezer as the reference point.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #9

I don't know how precise it happens to be but the Lippert Components manual for LCI Motorized Leveling Owners Manual page 10 refers to a Level Zero Point Calibration. This calibration when completed is to adjust the "bubble" in the ecm to what is zero on your level. It doesn't take a special surface just a point in your coach that you wish to level your world to.
Grumpy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #10

I have done the zero point calibration and it works, but I don't like the way the Auto Mode works. Therefore I need a reference for manually leveling. Plus, the green light has a fairly wide range of acceptance, so if I have everything at my fingertips I can get it level to my satisfaction without having to move around.
dutiful Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #11

Just put that out there for point of reference. Of course do what works for you.
Grumpy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutiful Don View Post
I have done the zero point calibration and it works, but I don't like the way the Auto Mode works. Therefore I need a reference for manually leveling. Plus, the green light has a fairly wide range of acceptance, so if I have everything at my fingertips I can get it level to my satisfaction without having to move around.
I use bubble levels. Here is my left/right. My front/rear is on the bulkhead to the left of the drivers seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	94153  
Old 11-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #13

Is you level marked in degrees?
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFR3 View Post
Is you level marked in degrees?
The carpenters level I used to calibrate zero point and the torpedo level used to verify the top of the monitor for setting the bubble level have no degree marks.
The bubble level, pictured above, has bubble end marks. There is a little "slop" from end to end so anything inside the lines is considered di minimus or in basic terms, close enough for government work.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #15

Just a thought...there is a great level app for your smartphones...one less thing to haul around.
Buckeye Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Traveler View Post
Just a thought...there is a great level app for your smartphones...one less thing to haul around.
I have that for my iphone. Its called Johnson's Bubble Level.
Having a hard time keeping it calibrated with all the ios updates.
It gives degrees along with the bubble and you can set it for percent and metric values.

Then you have to have a known level spot to set the phone on in order to use it. Not as convienient as anticipated.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFR3 View Post
Though it could end up the same you are really leveling the ammonia powered fridge.
Using the floor of the the freezer as the reference point.
I was told leveling is important for proper slide operation as well.

Tags
leveling