Old 06-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
bes

Lighting

Hi Guys (and the better sex), I know this topic has been beaten to death but... I have old eyes that have never been very good in the dark. I have had the headlights replaced by FR and it was a marginal improvement. Has anyone replaced the round lights (maybe fogs) at the bottom corners of the coach with something that works better and can be left on with oncoming traffic?

I'm also thinking of adding a pair of Piaa 2190 2100X fogs under the license plate hole or in the bottom row of the barn door gate for the engine compartment. Is it safe to drill into the cap of the coach?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Barry FR3 28

bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #2

Re aim fog lights mine were way off. and adding more lights not a bad idea.

Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #3

I installed one of these on my golf cart and they are super bright. The outside LEDs are floods and the inside ones are spots, so they light up a decent amount of area in front of the golf cart. And they are $29 for a 20" bar. If you angle it down from behind the grill, it might not be too bright to oncoming traffic.

LED light bar ANNT 20''126W LED Work Light Spot Offroads Light Waterproof Combo Beam Driving Fog Lighting for 4WD SUV Pickup Jeep UTE ATV UTV Ford Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGS8X4V..._l8OTgvVjBaE4f
boarf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #4

Adding light may help old eyes, but does not address the actual problem of not seeing well in the dark hours. One thing you may consider is adjusting your travel times to eliminate the problem of night driving and reducing the possibility of a problem. For me its more enjoyable to arrive early and leave late.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #5

Flogging this issue since picking up a new FR3 in 2014.

Just replaced headlamps with the updated FR warranty replacements just a couple of months ago, and I can concur with others that the updated headlights are a little bit underwhelming in their performance. No doubt they are better than the original "LED ring" style headline headlamps that came with the coach from the factory, but don't expect miracles from the replacement.

It is true that as I reach, one might say seasoned - age, my night vision is more affected by bright lights than it was when I was younger.

Bausch & Lomb are now selling a proprietary vision health maintenance supplement called AREDS, taken daily that has done much to improve my vision. Your mileage may vary.

The small foglamps underneath are capable of excepting a 100 W bulb replacement, which you can buy at trailer supply company. This update to 100 W made a big difference for me, and no one has yet flashed their lights back with complaints about bright lights. There is a downside to updating your bulbs to 100 W, that is the lamp housings. Although well built with heavy aluminum castings, are not designed for the heat load that 100 W bulbs create. Both of my foglamps now have cracks across the face, so although there is a downside to the update it is worth it to me to be able to see.
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #6

Fr replaced our headlights
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
bes

SeaDog I could not agree with you more about limiting my pm driving but I still have one of those J O B thing. We are always off the mountain by dark but sometimes I need to burn up 200 interstate miles in the dark. I could certainly do without but $2-300 seems like pretty cheap insurance.

bes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light