Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 28
Living room slide problem

At the end of our camping trip, as I tried to slide in my living room it would not work. I could hear one click at the motor, but, the room would not retract. As manual stated, I first tried to replace the fuse. The fuse I purchased at an auto parts store seemed to be the correct fuse, but, slide still did not retract. I was able to use my drill and manually retract the room. Once in, I tried the switch again and the slide worked for a minute or two, then quit again. I still hear one single click at the motor when I try the switch.

Has any FR3 owners had this problem or do any of your more experienced campers have any recommendations?
__________________

depmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,845
Here some reading on different slide issues for FR3...

https://www.google.com/search?q=fr3+...iverforums.com
__________________

__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped:2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rk06382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by depmgt View Post
At the end of our camping trip, as I tried to slide in my living room it would not work. I could hear one click at the motor, but, the room would not retract. As manual stated, I first tried to replace the fuse. The fuse I purchased at an auto parts store seemed to be the correct fuse, but, slide still did not retract. I was able to use my drill and manually retract the room. Once in, I tried the switch again and the slide worked for a minute or two, then quit again. I still hear one single click at the motor when I try the switch.

Has any FR3 owners had this problem or do any of your more experienced campers have any recommendations?
This was my story from last fall:
Stuck in my Driveway with a dead living room slide motor

It was a loose wire.
__________________
Robert
2018 FR3 28DS
Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger| 400ah Battle Born LiFePO4 | Victron BMV-712 & MPPT 100/50 | 800W Renogy Solar | Fan-Tastic Fans | Blue Ox TruCenter | Dometic 320 | SnapPads |
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Member
 
robo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 57
We had a problem that was almost impossible to find the cause if not for resourceful Mobile RV Tech. Not sure if this is your problem but I'd pass it on just in case.

When we arrived at our location to move the slides out, they would not retract out. Just like that out of the blue. Something caused the computer on the slide out control to basically forget how to open & retract. the tech had to in simple terms teach the slide how to open & close.
Go to your slide control panels, unscrew the panel and on the back of the panel you will see the circuit board & some switches. Forrest River has a sequence of steps to take to "re-teach" your slides how to work by pushing the buttons. It is very detailed but works. I asked him how this could happen where it simply forgets. He mentioned never use the generator to open the slides (we did not) but spikes in voltage could cause this plus other causes who knows.
Anyway, if your slide does not work this could be the culprit.
__________________

2019 FR3 33DS Motorhome
Travels California Coast & Beyond
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 28
Update on slide motor

Thanks to all for your helpful comments. I went ahead and purchased a replacement motor. When I returned from my camping trip, my living room slide worked fine, so, after reading more posts on here, I started looking more into the wiring connections on the motor. I think that the problem was exactly as some of you suggested, the wiring connections, unless it is an intermittent issue.

Has anyone had an intermittent problem with their slide motor working sometimes and not working sometimes?
depmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
We are having the same problem with our 327ck fifth wheeler. Have you gotten any answers
Wildcat327ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
PeteAndEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
We had a problem that was almost impossible to find the cause if not for resourceful Mobile RV Tech. Not sure if this is your problem but I'd pass it on just in case.

When we arrived at our location to move the slides out, they would not retract out. Just like that out of the blue. Something caused the computer on the slide out control to basically forget how to open & retract. the tech had to in simple terms teach the slide how to open & close.
Go to your slide control panels, unscrew the panel and on the back of the panel you will see the circuit board & some switches. Forrest River has a sequence of steps to take to "re-teach" your slides how to work by pushing the buttons. It is very detailed but works. I asked him how this could happen where it simply forgets. He mentioned never use the generator to open the slides (we did not) but spikes in voltage could cause this plus other causes who knows.
Anyway, if your slide does not work this could be the culprit.
"Computer" to run your slides? I believe the FR3s only use a simple in/out switch and a relay to send positive or negative voltage to the well hidden motor vs. some complicated computer system.

When we were low on battery voltage, we would get a clicking noise and the LR slide would not operate. With the generator on, it worked fine.

hmmmm
__________________
FR3 2015 30DS
PeteAndEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rk06382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAndEd View Post
"Computer" to run your slides? I believe the FR3s only use a simple in/out switch and a relay to send positive or negative voltage to the well hidden motor vs. some complicated computer system.

When we were low on battery voltage, we would get a clicking noise and the LR slide would not operate. With the generator on, it worked fine.

hmmmm
There is also a relay to disable the slide when the ignition is on.

The engine needs to be running with the parking brake applied to use the leveling jacks. But the engine needs to be off to extend or retract the slides.

I panicked one time when my slide would not move when the engine was idling. I think it is a safety interlock.
__________________

__________________
Robert
2018 FR3 28DS
Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger| 400ah Battle Born LiFePO4 | Victron BMV-712 & MPPT 100/50 | 800W Renogy Solar | Fan-Tastic Fans | Blue Ox TruCenter | Dometic 320 | SnapPads |
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roo, slide

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.