Old 12-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Keep in mind that an extended warranty covers more than the chassis. Need to consider components on and within the coach itself.
If you do go with an EW, don't buy from the dealer. Even if they work it into your payment it is definitely NOT a good deal. Check out other EW companies like Coach-Net, Good Sam and others. Just MHO
Thanks, I was actually quotedfrom Good Sam for extended service plan where you pay a deductible. I always prefer getting on on my own. One less thing for a dealer to wrap in and make profit on.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #12

We bought our 15' 30DS in June.
We looked at class C's and the Winnebago class A's... we found the layout, color scheme, and TV's were the biggest selling point. Ours was new.
Initially there were some issues and there have been a few more that have crept up. We have used ours every month since June with the exception of this December so far... and that's because it is December and we are very busy... and the motorhome is in the shop for some warrantee repairs.
The Ford engine is a good engine for a gas motor. I'm not a diesel fan so I'm not complaining about the V-10.
The transmission takes a while getting used to. It shifts like nothing I've ever experienced.... (think NASCAR)... it revs the living ***** out of the engine before it will shift...but everyone on here says it's normal.... it is not normal... it might be normal for this thing but it isn't normal at all.... it will scare the hell out of you!
But after you learn to "lift" the pedal slightly at the correct time it will shift a little better... definitely not a deal beaker.

Trip one....
Our 30DS came to us after inspection... the P-traps in the bathroom were not hooked up...(they must have missed that during the inspection) and that was about the only issue other than one of the curtain / blinds was loose and kept sliding down. ( I fixed that by tightening the cord)(and I fixed the P-traps)
The dash mounted stereo didn't work.... they replaced that at the dealer after we got back.

Trip 2
The heater quit working.... I called the dealer while we were out.... he said he thought it was a wire that came off a sensor... walked me through the fix.

Trip 3-5 were good....

Trip 6
This is what the camper is at the dealer / repair for today.
The oven hood fan / light quit
The TV in the main living area quit (wouldn't turn on)
The Hot Water Heater had a small fire.... burned up some wires on the outside of the tank... (it was working when I turned it off so the fire didn't stop it from working)

The good thing about this motorhome is it is fairly well made... for the cost, I don't think you can beat the space and features. We've tailgated with it, camped wet and dry, towed with it and loved it since we got it...
We live in Oregon so we haven't noticed a need for a 2nd air yet... I do plan on getting the fantastic fans though.
The awing is great, the leveling jacks work fine and we've had no issues with any of the slide-outs. The storage is ample, and the thing can sleep 6-7 people without any problem.
I'd buy it again.
I'd ask your dealer about some of the things the others have talked about above, and see how they will handle the little things. You shouldn't have to deal with any issues when you buy a new camper, but as with all things, you see little problems all the time...
FR doesn't make TV's, Hot water tanks, pumps, awnings, slide-outs, Fords or anything... they take that stuff and make a camper out of it. Most of the stuff that goes T-U is in all campers trailer and motorhomes.... just normal stuff. How you and the dealer work through the issues is what eases you or leaves a bad taste in your mouth...
Overall, I'm happy and in the end you need to be ok with it before you plunk down the money...

good luck

Days Camped 45
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #13

We went from a 2007 FR Cherokee Lite 28A+ TT to 2015 FR3 30DS. We enjoyed our TT, never any issues, so FR was our first choice when moving to a moho. Took some time getting all the bugs worked out and finding a new dealer to help us with that, but we love it. When compared to similar size coaches, the layout was really the kicker, especially the full pull out couch bed that has the footrest when in the couch position. Toss in a overcab bunk, 2 TVs inside, 1 outside, side and rear cameras, it's really loaded. I would say the most important thing is to research your dealer and try to research the salesperson. They will make or break the process. We don't even take ours back to the dealer we purchased it at, we will never go back. And if your ready to pull the trigger and need guidance before buying or have pulled the trigger, come back to this forum for delivery guidance before you pick it up. Probably would have saved us a lot of head/heartache, the folks on here are kind and knowledgeable.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Old 12-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #14

Can the things being said about the 30 be applied to the 28 also? I am looking at a 28.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #15
H3N

We LOVE our FR3 2015 30ds! We have added 3 fantastic fans (w/exterior covers); steering stabilizer bar (takes the bite out of heavy winds and big trucks passing); installed shelves in pantry; and rolling containers under the dinette seats.

We have put over 13,000 miles on our Enterprize this past summer and fall. From our NE Ohio base, we have explored Denver, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park in the west and Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Dcotia and Newfoundland in the east. Through hot weather and snow, all four adults and one cat in our family were comfy and had plenty of room to enjoy the adventure.

Can't wait for spring to we can head back to Newfoundland to see the ice bergs, puffins and northern lights.
H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #16

Oh yes, Newfoundland is spectacular, heading out there in July 2016
Old 12-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #17

My 2c: Its an entry-level coach. No options, but many opportunities to customize it yourself.
For us, it was our first RV, and we loved the layout, and still do. (2016 28DS) Its nimble enough to drive around without too much difficulty. Though, i would certainly echo the call to do the CHF. I did mine myself, and i am not of ... perfect health. The driving difference before and after is almost comical.

We compared it against the ACE, Fleetwood Flair(?, i think?), and Winnie Vista. We didn't like the fit and finish of the Thor, and really didn't like any of the other layouts. The quality of the components isn't super high-end, but I've only had minor trouble, and our dealer (Dodd RV in Yorktown, VA) was great about fixing stuff and taking care of us.

We're weekenders, with potential week-ish trips in the future. Just two human and two mid/small canines.

We've been out several times since last August, and have been really comfortable so far. In this market, we feel like we got a good/decent deal for the money.

This: RV Shopper Series - Small Class A Gas helped us decide a little, but I'd recommend walking around inside them, and trying them on for size.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #18

What's the CHF? I don't enjoy the ride in the wind or around big rigs.

Antone

Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #19

@Antone
This should fill you in on the CHF. If you can loosen a bolt, you can do this job. And the best part is its Free! :-)

Also, remove the bolts that hold the saddle brackets on the rear axle and put some locktite on them. Many of us have reported the bolt missing. Ours was missing the bolt/nut and the bracket was bent with just 4,800 miles on it.

CHF Guide
Old 12-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #20

Looking for thoughts on the Fr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
@Antone

This should fill you in on the CHF. If you can loosen a bolt, you can do this job. And the best part is its Free! :-)

Also, remove the bolts that hold the saddle brackets on the rear axle and put some locktite on them. Many of us have reported the bolt missing. Ours was missing the bolt/nut and the bracket was bent with just 4,800 miles on it.

CHF Guide

Oh wow. I'll do this all for sure. Some of the Southern California freeways are so bad it feels like were off roading, so loose, hopefully not missing, bolts would not surprise me. Thank you KansasFR3.

Antone