Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #21

I've got a 2015 30DS, and have had it for about a year and a half. We've put about 5,000 miles on it so far. I've added shelves in many cabinets, a backsplash, bed over cab bracing rods, passenger seat cup holder, fan in bathroom, rain gutter extenders, and engine grill.

The bad: handling in wind or when rigs pass is rough, but you can get used to it. Camping in 90+ weather is tough due to the single AC unit. Had it in the dealership 5 times to fix numerous issues (step motor failed, AC upgrade, over can bed tightened, etc.). Poorly insulated.

The good: we love the floor plan. Have slept 6 adults in it comfortably. Tons of storage space. Great turning radius. Easy to upgrade and customize. Great price point.

If I could do it all over again, I would spend another $40K and buy a better coach, but that's hindsight. I'm very handy and am making little fixes to make it better.

2015 FR3 30DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #22

Hello All,

Test drove the unit and liked it. However, I will say the engine noise is much louder than the Winnebago. Felt it was working harder and screaming before shifting gears. With that said, they weren't very flexible on price. They wanted to charge me closer to what I thought a new unit would go for. I understand it was a 2016 with under 4K miles but used is still used in my book. They were into it for more than I was offering. They claimed they helped get their customer out of it and into a smaller model, and "took care" of them, which again wasn't my problem.

Going to look at a Goergetown 30x3 this weekend. I've seen them and thought the quality was a little better but haven't test driven yet. Anyone test drive both and have any thoughts? Going to post in the Georgetown forum as well.
Dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #23

Purchased my 2016 FR3 30DS in July '15. though we've had some problems the dealership and Forest River have bent over backwards to take care of our problems.

Driving tip - this is my 5th MH. take the rig to your Ford truck dealer and have them adjust the sway bars by bringing the connection in one space. This tightens up the unit so that as you make turns you don't have to lean the opposite direction and passing trucks don't bother you much. You will notice the difference immediately.

I just had mine out in 30 mph cross wind and though I felt it it didn't pose any problems; had to make minor steering adjustments when I drove through underpasses as the wind wasn't there for a short period of time.

Getting ready to leave for FL after having my chassis heater worked on.

Have a great new year!
Richard Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #24

3 months in and 3000 miles. Not a problem to be had on my 32DS other then rudimentary household issues. Mostly caused by my 4 kids.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #25
Rickydeee

Hello Dtoste77-
I am also considering a 2016 FR3 30DS, getting conflicting information on variances with the model year and the year of the chassis. (I currently have a 2013 Four Winds 28A, found out later that it has a 2012 Ford chassis). The FR dealer claims that the 2016 chassis contains changes and/or improvements that justify a $6300 price differential over the 2015 chassis. No specifics yet, but something you might want to look into.
rickydeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #26

Talking GOOD QUESTION: Changes and/or improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydeee View Post
Hello Dtoste77-
I am also considering a 2016 FR3 30DS, getting conflicting information on variances with the model year and the year of the chassis. (I currently have a 2013 Four Winds 28A, found out later that it has a 2012 Ford chassis). The FR dealer claims that the 2016 chassis contains changes and/or improvements that justify a $6300 price differential over the 2015 chassis. No specifics yet, but something you might want to look into.
Good question about "changes and/or improvements that justify a price differential." I'm sure they are getting delivery of 2016 Ford chassis now which will pass thru the factory for the 2017 FR3 build. (Actually I don't really know anything about how it works but sounds good doesn't it. I was once a production accountant, (first job out of college) for a tortilla factory 40 years ago)

(Looking at the Georgetown 329DS)
Nights camped in 2011/16; 2012/15; 2013/48;
2014/10; 2015/101 2016/55 yr to date
pkenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #27

Big MO Larry

Malton Hops I also have a 30DS 2015 with 13,00 miles on it. Many of the same issues you have had I also have had. We love the layout as well but the quality of the unit could have been better for sure.

I am very interested in the items you have done and wish to do the same with mine. More specifically I would like to see the cup holder, front grill and gutter extenders.

Regarding the overhead fans is the electrical wiring close when you open up the overhead?

I also think the head lights are under powered as it is difficult to see anything on low beams. Without the lower lights it would be impossible to see the road on low beams.

The horn sucked too so I put on a air horn. And lastly I changed the awning lights to light without lighting up the front of the unit.

Would love to see your additions.
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #28

@rickydee, as far as I know, the only change on the 2016 F53 chassis was the new 6 speed transmission (6R140 vs 5R110W), parking brake change (drum-in-hat), and block heater is optional from factory. Also noticed that the front axle has an increase rating from 7,000 lbs to 8,000lbs. Though you'll be over weight on the rear if anything. And I haven't driven a 6 speed transmission, but not sure those changes are worth $6300 imo...Hope this info helps.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #29

Larry, the wiring for adding fans in the vents are just behind the shroud when you remove it. Might have to use a voltmeter to verify which pigtail is hot, but its there.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #30

Kansas FR3

Thank you very much

Larry
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:40 AM   #31

You've probably already made your decision. If not, and for others... Love the design, King Rv bed, colors... But, had my share of issues... latest being the shower now just dribbles but kitchen bathroom sinks are fine. The "wood" constantly scratches due to it not being real wood in most places... The bunk stopped works working as well this weekend. If I could start all over... I'd be looking elsewhere to be frank.