Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #1

Looking for thoughts on the Fr3

Hello Everyone,

My family and I are close to pulling the trigger on a new RV. We're considering a 2016 Fr3 30ds.

I'd love to hear your first hand experience with the Fr3. I understand it's considered an entry level unit but just curious about the unit and Forest River as a company.

Thanks in advance!
Dtoste77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #2

Hi Dtoste77. I think you're going to get a number of replies ranging from great to horrible. Probably should take all with a grain of salt.

That said, I'll give you my two cents. I have one of the first generation 30ds. It has a queen bed and many of the extras I had installed are now standard equipment or an option, such as rigid shower door and tv in the bedroom. Those of us early to the FR3s were essentially a beta test - but that's the price you pay for buying a first-year RV.

I've had relatively few problems with my coach. After nearly 10,000 miles, a leak around the windshield was the biggest problem. I've had good luck with my local RV retailer/shop. No complaints whatsoever. I may be in the minority on that.

My wife and I were looking at the FR3 and the Thor ACE. A couple things stood apart on the FR3, although the ACE may have made changes to close the gap. Basement storage is a big deal and was a major factor in us choosing the FR3. That ACE had much less. The layouts were nearly the same, but we liked the look of the FR3 better.

A final issue that affects all RVs of this size is the handling characteristics. Many owners have made modifications. I am one of them. I found driving the FR3 to be a challenge - especially in conditions with wind above 15 to 20 mph and on highways with trucks passing. All motorhomes this size use the Ford F53 chassis. Most will say it doesn't drive well, so I'd recommend doing the Cheap Handling Fix and probably a few more modifications, just to make it drive ok.

Good luck with your decision.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #3

I've had mine since March and put on 6,700 miles, 45 nights.

My warranty history is: door closer pulled out in wind (replaced), poor radio (loose antenna lead) and blurry back up camera (replaced). They were all fixed by my dealer, Pontiac RV, at no charge. The new back up camera has now gone blank so I will bring it back in this spring when I add a tow car.

We've driven it from Chicago to Florida, Boston and Niagara in temps from 25 to 95 with no other problems on the RV or any of the devices. As to handling, I was nervous and fought it at first, in part because reading these forums scared me, but I found that it handles a lot like a big old Oldsmobile. It is not a sports car, the wind and trucks will push it around some but if you don't panic it comes right back. It took me about 2500 miles to get comfortable with it, once you know what it does it's like driving anything else. I did not do any of the chassis modifications.

I get 8-1/4 MPG, running the generator on the road about 10% of the time for the AC. I've done one oil change for $32. For mods, I added a vortex fan to the bathroom, shelves to several of the cabinets and little stuff like cup holders and a spice rack.

We really like the layout and how much room it has with the slides out, on a holiday weekend we had 9 adults eating chili and sandwiches on a rainy night and it was comfortable. The mattress is good, not as nice as home but even after a 3 week trip I didn't feel 'beat up' like I used to after only a couple days on the foam in my old one. We put the sister-in-law up in the over cab bed and she said it's not bad. If you have real little ones use the sofa bed or set up the dinette.

We are happy with our FR3.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

Hi Dtoste77. My family and I just picked our 2016 Fr3 up December 3rd. After driving it back 1200 miles with a 2 year old and my wife we love it. Everything worked fine and everything spicy rv said about handling is true about the wind and trucks. We also looked at thors itasca and winnebago and found the FR3 the best choice for our family.
WalczaksFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #5

Thank you all for the insight! Yes we really like the look and the layout of the Fr3 and it seems to be a more practical decision for us being that its our first RV.

Good to know about the wind. Here in California the wind probably isn't anything compared to Chicago and the Midwest but still somethings to be prepared for with trucks, etc.

We're looking at a 2016 model this weekend. It's actually used with almost no miles so if the price is right I may just pull the trigger. Would probably buy an extended warranty for some peace of mind since some of the wrinkles may have not been ironed out with it yet.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

We did what your thinking of doing and bought a 2015 model, 9 months old, with 4800 miles. We opt'ed not to buy extended warranty since the chassis is warranty up to 36,000 miles was my only concern. So just a personal preference I guess, but then again, I typically never buy extended warranties.

I think the biggest thing to do is to make the CHF (Cheap handling fix) on the sway bars. Just requires to move the mounting bolt to other hole that is on the sway bar. And get an alignment done and tell them to put your caster to the high side of the specs. Ours drives a lot better than when we first got it, but still gets pushed around a little in wind/semis.

Buy your RV based on your layout. We found the 30DS spacious enough for us on rainy days. Sure nice to have the couch and the dinette as sitting options. You'll wish you had 2 AC units like the rest of us. But depending on how handy you are, might not be that big of a deal. We plan on installing a second AC in the rear possibly this spring and running it off of a 20 amp extension cord.

Make sure you spend 2-3 hours looking the RV up and down for everything. Bring a flashlight, scratch pad, etc. and note any questions/issues you see. Good luck with your decision, but we're glad we bought a slightly used unit. Saved quite a bit over new that we didn't think the factory warranty was really worth it. And we'll be later this week for our trip to San Diego. So here comes another 3,000 mile trip! :-)
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Keep in mind that an extended warranty covers more than the chassis. Need to consider components on and within the coach itself.
If you do go with an EW, don't buy from the dealer. Even if they work it into your payment it is definitely NOT a good deal. Check out other EW companies like Coach-Net, Good Sam and others. Just MHO

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #8

We picked the 30ds for the layout and the size of the dinette (bigger than competitors). Really like the space there for eating and playing games. Traded up Trina class C and live this unit. Tons of space. No quality concerns.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

Big Mo Larry

Purchased 30DS in March 2015. Already have about 11,000 miles on it with one cross country trip. Pulling a 12 ft by 7 ft trailer with 2 Harley's in it makes it work hard. . Only got about 7 MPG and going up those western state mountains could only get it moving about 5 miles per hour! Wind? Yes it beats the hell out of the unit and you better be paying attention to your driving at all times as it will get the best of you very quickly. Air conditioner in Ford unit not very good and no one seems to be able to fix it any better. Head lights are not very bright either as I don't think the LED lights are strong enough for the unit. Overall design seems to be good and I do like the room the unit has to offer. You can expect problems as this seems to be the norm with RV's If you are handy most of the things can be fixed. For sure I am very happy I had a great Dealer as he has fixed all problems while the unit is under warranty, so now I have to decide if I want to purchase an extended one. I think I will as there are lots of things that can go wrong. Lastly as you travel don't expect dealers to jump on your warranty issues as unless you purchased the unit there they wont go out of there way to accommodate your problems! Have FUN!!!!
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #10

I went to look at one...spent about 45 min. in and outside...was not impressed with the quality. Just my 2 cents. Pay attention to those who actually own it.
GMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Keep in mind that an extended warranty covers more than the chassis. Need to consider components on and within the coach itself.
If you do go with an EW, don't buy from the dealer. Even if they work it into your payment it is definitely NOT a good deal. Check out other EW companies like Coach-Net, Good Sam and others. Just MHO
Thanks, I was actually quotedfrom Good Sam for extended service plan where you pay a deductible. I always prefer getting on on my own. One less thing for a dealer to wrap in and make profit on.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #12

We bought our 15' 30DS in June.
We looked at class C's and the Winnebago class A's... we found the layout, color scheme, and TV's were the biggest selling point. Ours was new.
Initially there were some issues and there have been a few more that have crept up. We have used ours every month since June with the exception of this December so far... and that's because it is December and we are very busy... and the motorhome is in the shop for some warrantee repairs.
The Ford engine is a good engine for a gas motor. I'm not a diesel fan so I'm not complaining about the V-10.
The transmission takes a while getting used to. It shifts like nothing I've ever experienced.... (think NASCAR)... it revs the living ***** out of the engine before it will shift...but everyone on here says it's normal.... it is not normal... it might be normal for this thing but it isn't normal at all.... it will scare the hell out of you!
But after you learn to "lift" the pedal slightly at the correct time it will shift a little better... definitely not a deal beaker.

Trip one....
Our 30DS came to us after inspection... the P-traps in the bathroom were not hooked up...(they must have missed that during the inspection) and that was about the only issue other than one of the curtain / blinds was loose and kept sliding down. ( I fixed that by tightening the cord)(and I fixed the P-traps)
The dash mounted stereo didn't work.... they replaced that at the dealer after we got back.

Trip 2
The heater quit working.... I called the dealer while we were out.... he said he thought it was a wire that came off a sensor... walked me through the fix.

Trip 3-5 were good....

Trip 6
This is what the camper is at the dealer / repair for today.
The oven hood fan / light quit
The TV in the main living area quit (wouldn't turn on)
The Hot Water Heater had a small fire.... burned up some wires on the outside of the tank... (it was working when I turned it off so the fire didn't stop it from working)

The good thing about this motorhome is it is fairly well made... for the cost, I don't think you can beat the space and features. We've tailgated with it, camped wet and dry, towed with it and loved it since we got it...
We live in Oregon so we haven't noticed a need for a 2nd air yet... I do plan on getting the fantastic fans though.
The awing is great, the leveling jacks work fine and we've had no issues with any of the slide-outs. The storage is ample, and the thing can sleep 6-7 people without any problem.
I'd buy it again.
I'd ask your dealer about some of the things the others have talked about above, and see how they will handle the little things. You shouldn't have to deal with any issues when you buy a new camper, but as with all things, you see little problems all the time...
FR doesn't make TV's, Hot water tanks, pumps, awnings, slide-outs, Fords or anything... they take that stuff and make a camper out of it. Most of the stuff that goes T-U is in all campers trailer and motorhomes.... just normal stuff. How you and the dealer work through the issues is what eases you or leaves a bad taste in your mouth...
Overall, I'm happy and in the end you need to be ok with it before you plunk down the money...

good luck
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #13

We went from a 2007 FR Cherokee Lite 28A+ TT to 2015 FR3 30DS. We enjoyed our TT, never any issues, so FR was our first choice when moving to a moho. Took some time getting all the bugs worked out and finding a new dealer to help us with that, but we love it. When compared to similar size coaches, the layout was really the kicker, especially the full pull out couch bed that has the footrest when in the couch position. Toss in a overcab bunk, 2 TVs inside, 1 outside, side and rear cameras, it's really loaded. I would say the most important thing is to research your dealer and try to research the salesperson. They will make or break the process. We don't even take ours back to the dealer we purchased it at, we will never go back. And if your ready to pull the trigger and need guidance before buying or have pulled the trigger, come back to this forum for delivery guidance before you pick it up. Probably would have saved us a lot of head/heartache, the folks on here are kind and knowledgeable.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #14

Can the things being said about the 30 be applied to the 28 also? I am looking at a 28.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #15
H3N

We LOVE our FR3 2015 30ds! We have added 3 fantastic fans (w/exterior covers); steering stabilizer bar (takes the bite out of heavy winds and big trucks passing); installed shelves in pantry; and rolling containers under the dinette seats.

We have put over 13,000 miles on our Enterprize this past summer and fall. From our NE Ohio base, we have explored Denver, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park in the west and Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Dcotia and Newfoundland in the east. Through hot weather and snow, all four adults and one cat in our family were comfy and had plenty of room to enjoy the adventure.

Can't wait for spring to we can head back to Newfoundland to see the ice bergs, puffins and northern lights.

H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #16

Oh yes, Newfoundland is spectacular, heading out there in July 2016
johnpisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #17

My 2c: Its an entry-level coach. No options, but many opportunities to customize it yourself.
For us, it was our first RV, and we loved the layout, and still do. (2016 28DS) Its nimble enough to drive around without too much difficulty. Though, i would certainly echo the call to do the CHF. I did mine myself, and i am not of ... perfect health. The driving difference before and after is almost comical.

We compared it against the ACE, Fleetwood Flair(?, i think?), and Winnie Vista. We didn't like the fit and finish of the Thor, and really didn't like any of the other layouts. The quality of the components isn't super high-end, but I've only had minor trouble, and our dealer (Dodd RV in Yorktown, VA) was great about fixing stuff and taking care of us.

We're weekenders, with potential week-ish trips in the future. Just two human and two mid/small canines.

We've been out several times since last August, and have been really comfortable so far. In this market, we feel like we got a good/decent deal for the money.

This: RV Shopper Series - Small Class A Gas helped us decide a little, but I'd recommend walking around inside them, and trying them on for size.
SEGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #18

What's the CHF? I don't enjoy the ride in the wind or around big rigs.

Antone

Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #19

@Antone
This should fill you in on the CHF. If you can loosen a bolt, you can do this job. And the best part is its Free! :-)

Also, remove the bolts that hold the saddle brackets on the rear axle and put some locktite on them. Many of us have reported the bolt missing. Ours was missing the bolt/nut and the bracket was bent with just 4,800 miles on it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ide-80629.html
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #20

Looking for thoughts on the Fr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
@Antone

This should fill you in on the CHF. If you can loosen a bolt, you can do this job. And the best part is its Free! :-)

Also, remove the bolts that hold the saddle brackets on the rear axle and put some locktite on them. Many of us have reported the bolt missing. Ours was missing the bolt/nut and the bracket was bent with just 4,800 miles on it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ide-80629.html

Oh wow. I'll do this all for sure. Some of the Southern California freeways are so bad it feels like were off roading, so loose, hopefully not missing, bolts would not surprise me. Thank you KansasFR3.

Antone