Old 02-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Looking to buy a 2016-2017 FR3 30 DS

I am new to RVing, currently on our first extended trip in a "starter motorhome". After much research, I am considering an FR3 30DS with the new Triton V-10 and 6-speed transmission. My priorities are purchase price, floor plan, size of holding tanks (we visit a lot of state campgrounds without full hookups), QUALITY AND DEALER SERVICE. I would sincerely appreciate any and all input on this model (and alternatives). Thank you very much.

rickydeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
The new chassis with the 6spd transmission is nice.

2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
from Cali
I would definitely above all consider the dealer as you will be working with them after the sale for sure. Try to find one that has a good reputation from previous customers. My experience was most of them would tell you what ever you wanted to hear to get a sale.

If you're looking for a class A with minimal frills but at the class C pricing this may be the rig for you. For me it was all about the floor plan. I loved the large open living area and a nice bedroom.

If you really want in-depth information I would suggest reading the other threads in this section there is plenty to consider.

Have fun in that "starter" and I hope you enjoy your travels.

2015 FR3 30DS
Central Coast of California
2015 FR3 30DS
2014 Jeep Rubicon X
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
I have a 2015 30 DS and I am very happy. I had a few minor problems but I enjoy it.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
My 30DS is a 2013-2014 model which we purchased used a few months ago. We have been delighted.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
We have a 2015 and I think it is much more than a "starter" motorhome. It almost sounded condescending.
Wjl7110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

I purchased and FR-3 (30 DS ) in 2015 and can say it has been a great experience. The advice of purchasing from a good dealer is very key as there definitely will be problems so you will need a good dealer with a track record of good service to help you out. There are many things to learn and to remember so when you make that purchase make sure you take good notes. My first trip was Phila to FL and I made many calls back to the dealer for help and advise and they were great!

The second trip was cross country where I put on almost 9000 miles. What I learned on that trip was other dealers are not so accommodating if you have not purchased the unit from them. I learned if you are traveling and are going to be in a specific place call ahead for appointments so you do not have to sit around and wait for services if you need them.

Forrest River also has a Class A warranty desk that I became very familiar with so use them for sure for help

Hopefully you are handy as there will be many things to do when traveling.

The FR3 can wonder very quickly on the road (esp in high winds) so be on your game when driving it. Unlike a car the response time is definitely different. And when those semi's come flying by you will need to steer into them to keep the unit on the road.

There are a few things I would have liked better but over all its a great unit. I also agree with that other person its definitely more than a starter Class A RV and anyone that visits us is very impressed with it!!

Safe travels!!

Big Larry
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #8
The service thing is something that worried me because I came to understand that it is almost entirely dealer based and once you sign the contract ...the service dept. they touted while courting you...becomes a source of frustration. And heaven forbid you try to get service from somewhere you didn't buy from. We bought our Georgetown from 500 miles away due to a number of circumstances that included a BIG price differential with our "home" dealership which would have been 150 miles away. My thought was that most things are gonna happen on the road anyway and your dealer ain't gonna be much help.
The interesting thing was that in buying where I did....I found out AFTER the fact that they were part of the Priority RV service network which has 161 dealers who promise to treat you as their own customer for service if you show up at their place.
No charge....just buy your bus from a Priority dealer.
It has been cool to know that help is never too far away...and of course we have roadside service from Good we can get there. Here's the link to the map of Priority dealers. Priority RV Network
Maybe one near you might be a good choice given your concerns.
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
I am glad I am not the only one sort of surprised by that description!
Celkalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
Entry Level might be a better description. Like Thor ACE or Winnie Tribute or Jayco Alante or Fleetwood Terra se. That's the competition and I think the FR3 has been so popular because it holds up very well v. the competition especially once you step inside.

2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote