Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
2015 FR3 25DS

Loose dash

Anyone have a fix for this. The dash just came undone with no explanation. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466520752.646656.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	111702Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466520768.230712.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	111703Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466520781.048851.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	111704

2015 FR3 25DS
2007 Jeep Rubicon (carried)

You just have to get your hands dirty sometime...
AngioTech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngioTech55 View Post
Anyone have a fix for this. The dash just came undone with no explanation. Attachment 111702Attachment 111703Attachment 111704
Wow. What year is this? My 2016 32DS center console shakes likes the devil in winter. And if yours is the same, it would not surprise me this is the cause of it. That vibration in the cetner console is not good for anything, radios, connections and so forth.

On the bottom of my center console I installed a couple of wooden supports to stabalize the console. I think personally, the console is a design flaw and would not surprise me if it cause or HELPED cause this situation.

Sadly, I have no idea how to help you fix it, never explored that territory before. If you do get it fixed, support your center console some how.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

On a previous MH I used several short wood screws with large enough flat washers to cover both the fiberglass front cap and the dash where they meet. The screws were installed in the dash underside (short enough so not to penetrate top covering). There was no lip to use any adhesive. Gained access through hood. Yes, this a jury rig approach but it held up for 6 years and still intact when sold. Typically, there is a fair amount of expanding foam on the underside and perhaps something like that would also work to secure it. If there is a lip that your dash sits in then perhaps clear silicone adhesive might work. Numerous ways to correct without going to a dealer.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
2015 FR3 25DS

This is a 2015 FR3DS. Truly an epic fail on forest river's part. The dealership won't fix it and it's not covered by the warranty. I'll have to figure a way to secure it myself.

2015 FR3 25DS
2007 Jeep Rubicon (carried)

You just have to get your hands dirty sometime...
AngioTech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:52 AM   #5

Wayne and sherry are you having any luck with a class action
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #6

Dash fix.

I have had many things to fix or repair on our 2014 FR3 28 that we bought new. It’s been frustrating but there is always a fix or work around and the warranty took care of it. Attached are some pictures of the dash fix. Our dealer put two mounting screws through the dash to hold it down from bouncing. They caped them off with color matching caps over the screws to polish it off. Fixed that problem. I also added a cut out designed board to fit under the dash extension that holds the radio, no more bouncing. All problems solved for this fix. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-0353.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	112885   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-0354.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	112886   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-0355.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	112887  
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #7

What do those screws go into?... I've got the same problem with my 2015 30DS... we just about lost our minds with the bouncing and rattling our dash was going through... serious problem. It in fact shook so much that our camera monitor shook loose.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #8

Class Action

My heart is with the folks who are having problems. There is no way that a class action suit is going to happen. Being an old attorney who has a fair amount of experience with Class actions this is a waste of time and maybe money. First, I'm not a fan of many attorneys. If u really have an issue that is worthy of Litigation u are far ahead by filing multiple Small Claims suits to rectify issues. I do not know where u live but can file in Indiana up to $ 6,000 per issue (this is where Forest River Resides). If your grievance has merit u will prevail. Si
mple is always better !

Bear
Bearister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
What do those screws go into?... I've got the same problem with my 2015 30DS... we just about lost our minds with the bouncing and rattling our dash was going through... serious problem. It in fact shook so much that our camera monitor shook loose.
It is my understanding that there is a wood brace under the dash panel. Anyhow thats what my dealer told me. They just screwed into it and capped the top off to match the dash color. It fixed the bounce problem.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Curiouser and Curiouser

Wooden Brace

We took a piece of the 1.25" dowel left over from the fix suggested for holding the magnet on the overhead bed up tight against the magnet on the ceiling and put 1.25" rubber caps like you would put on a chair leg on each end. We wiped it down with dark Old English so that it matches the wood in the motorhome We didn't worry if the dowel was slightly too short as quarters work great as spacers. We then purchased a square rubber pad like you would put under a chair leg to keep the dowell from slipping around on the motor cover. We put one end of the dowel in that and one end tight up against the wood panel on underside of the radio area. It works great, cost essentially nothing, was easy to do, and now we always have a couple of quarters with which to make an emergency phone call!
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
It is my understanding that there is a wood brace under the dash panel. Anyhow thats what my dealer told me. They just screwed into it and capped the top off to match the dash color. It fixed the bounce problem.
By fixing the bounce problem, did that also stop some of the rattling noise from the dash area?...
For the life of me, I can't pinpoint where the major rattling is coming from. sometimes I think it's from down by the windshield where the vents are for the defrost and sometimes up closer to the plastic dash...
It kills me that I can't find it.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
By fixing the bounce problem, did that also stop some of the rattling noise from the dash area?...
For the life of me, I can't pinpoint where the major rattling is coming from. sometimes I think it's from down by the windshield where the vents are for the defrost and sometimes up closer to the plastic dash...
It kills me that I can't find it.
Yes it did. Had the same problem with noise around the dash area and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. By screwing the dash down and using a support under the extended part of the dash that holds the radio, all the problems of bounce and noise has stopped. I can now play CD's without them skipping.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:51 AM   #13

Mr J. Is there any chance you could brake out your tape measure and give a ruff location of the screws that your dealer put in to hold down the floppy dash issue? Also do you know what type of screw they used and how long the screws are? Thank You for any info you can give.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #14

I just tried a possible fix, won't know if it will work until I go out this week.

I purchased a small pedestal Jack that you normally place under the step of your rv. It's basically a step saver that I placed between the floor and the dash board to keep it from banging when hitting potholes and such.

Will get back to you all on how it worked.
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
Mr J. Is there any chance you could brake out your tape measure and give a ruff location of the screws that your dealer put in to hold down the floppy dash issue? Also do you know what type of screw they used and how long the screws are? Thank You for any info you can give.
My unit is in storage right now and is about 10 miles from my home. But here is what I can remember. I have two screws that are evenly spaced from the passenger side to the drivers side. I believe they are about 1 1/2" in from the edge. The screws are I believe 3" wood deck screws, they put the screw thru some kind of a metal cap holder so the cap cover would snap on. If you raise up your dash and put your hand down under it you can feel the wood brace, that will give you some kind of ideal where the wood brace is. If it is like everything else FR does not all units are build the same. Cheaper to check before you drill a hole in the dash. Camping World did the work for me so you might be able to get the cap and cap holder from them. Hope this helps. Good luck, it made a worlds of difference.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #16

I would love to have my service/warranty center do something as permanent and sophisticated as setting screws into the dash. Unfortunately, my service/warranty center is out of their element if it's something more complicated than refilling LP. So I went with the temporary but doable pillars holding things up. It's worked well enough for me, at least for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pillars.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	113745  
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #17

Hi Jim/ I did buy the 2014 FR3. U might remember I live in Indy (Northeast). Like to get together for chat. Cell # 317-432-9178

Bear
Bearister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
My unit is in storage right now and is about 10 miles from my home. But here is what I can remember. I have two screws that are evenly spaced from the passenger side to the drivers side. I believe they are about 1 1/2" in from the edge. The screws are I believe 3" wood deck screws, they put the screw thru some kind of a metal cap holder so the cap cover would snap on. If you raise up your dash and put your hand down under it you can feel the wood brace, that will give you some kind of ideal where the wood brace is. If it is like everything else FR does not all units are build the same. Cheaper to check before you drill a hole in the dash. Camping World did the work for me so you might be able to get the cap and cap holder from them. Hope this helps. Good luck, it made a worlds of difference.

Very good Mr J thank you!!
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote