Old 10-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #1

Lost all my propane

Parked in drive way after returning from small trip. Lost 1/2 a tank of propane from regulator vent on hp side of regulator. Yea, I know I left the tank on which I really always do, have never lost propane before. I did shut off tank for hurricane Mathew. Did not end up using any propane appliances on small trip. I am guessing diaphragm went bad. Has anyone else had you regulator go bad?

Old 10-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

Cavagna (52-A-490-0003C)Two-Stage Regulator with Excess Flow

or

Cavagna (52-A-490-0008B) Two-Stage Regulator Kit

How the heck do I know which one I need?

Old 10-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

I installed one of those existent a stays. Lost 70% of my propane. The little black O ring must of been letting it seep out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums yo
Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

I spent a bit of time trying to figure out why I was smelling propane on afternoon.
Yes my regulator was leaking a very small amount.
I took the name and part number and found a replacement on ebay in two seconds.
Easy to replace. Do not use white Teflon tape. Use gas specific sealer on the threads.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #5

I ordered the 0008b
Old 10-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

Pulled into a campground this summer and heard the high volume hissing of air from somewhere. Found that it was the propane regulator. Lost about 3/4 of a full tank. Sure am glad there were no sparks around the area. Was very fortunate there was a Camping World nearby.
jk510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #7

Thanks for bringing this up Stephan. Last weekend at the Balloon Fiesta in NM, we smelled some sulfur and couldn't locate the source. I think I'll go ahead and replace mine before I loose our propane in case. And I faintly remember reading something on this forum about these valves going bad over time.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

I found that some how I developed a leak at the hose connection to regulator tighten back up end of problem. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #9

A little bit of something to think about on a Saturday afternoon...

If one seriously ponders the worst case scenario of a failed propane system, it kinds of shakes a person up. Least of ones problems is loss of propane, a highly flammable fuel.

The propane system is out of sight and therefore out of mind - yet all propane-burning appliances need periodic maintenance, as does the gas system.

We can choose to limit our spending by waiting until a component fails, thought it is apt to be more costly in the long run, or we can opt for putting into practice a little preventive maintenance.

The heart of the system is the propane pressure regulator.

The propane regulator is mostly likely the hardest working single component found on the RV. It must keep up with constantly fluctuating internal propane container pressures, then regulate and deliver a nice smooth, even flow of gas to each of the appliances. And it must do this continually whenever the main service valve is open. It is a relatively inexpensive component and RVers can easily carry a spare regulator whenever and wherever they travel. In the event of regulator failure, in most cases, replacement is mandatory.

It is worthwhile to learn how it works and why it is therefore probably a good idea to shut it down when it is not needed...it is constantly at work to regulate the changes in pressure, due to fluctuations in temperature.

At a minimum once a year or before and at the end of each trip your regulator should be tested to be sure it will lock-up at the appropriate pressure. No, you can't adjust it, it either locks up properly or is defective and unrepairable....and also check for propane leakage.

The regulator must be able to “breathe” as the diaphragm expands and contracts inside the regulator body, so it can flex. The vent openings for each stage must be kept clean and free from moisture, dirt, mud, snow or any other type of muck that may plug or block them. This is equally crucial for both the first and second stages.

The single-most effective method of protecting the regulator is to replace broken or missing covers.

Only a certified or master certified RV service technician is permitted to adjust the propane pressure regulator! It mandates the use of special measuring devices. Pro technicians are trained to conduct a few other tests to the propane system as well, to be sure it is not leaking and responding properly...this include a regulator lock-up test and a timed drop pressure leak test.

I also use a propane sniffer at specific points in the system to verify or discover leaks.

Like electricity, propane must be respected. In order to be respected, it must be understood. In order to be understood it must be studied. Unfortunately, many owners just aren't aware of how serious these two issues are in an RV and neglect to take the time to deeply understand them.

You should check or have your propane and electrical systems checked at the beginning and end of each road trip, or at least annually.

It is my way of thinking that an RV is less a dream and lifestyle, and more a hobby and constant efforts to keep on the road.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #10

I had a flash back of some kind on my 1st camping trip with my FR3... I found out that at some point, the wind storm at the Oregon Coast (60-80mph winds) cause a small burn out that melted some wires on my hot water heater... set on "gas mode".
The dealer repaired the hot water tank and gave me some hair brained reason it happened in the first place... then sent me on my way.
About a week later was thanks giving and we had the FR3 stove as a back up to prepare a large thanksgiving meal... When we went to use the stove, it wouldn't ignite. I checked the propane level on the panel and it showed empty... I was confused since it was full when we took the mh out just a couple weeks previously. I took the motorhome to get the take filled and wondered where the gas went... when I got the tank filled, I also took a bottle of soapy water to the water heater and sprayed it on the fittings...
apparently the dealer or repair tech didn't tighten the gas lines to the water heater after they replaced the burned wires and parts effected by the "burn out" I'd had at the coast.
I tightened them up and have never lost propane since that day...

After reading this post, I'm going to get my regulator inspected just for safety's sake..

Go stuff to know.

Days Camped 28
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane