Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #1

Low Point Drain issue

Hi Everyone,

We have a 2016 FR3 30DS and loving it so far. I have taken it out three times so far and have had the same issue each time and wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Up arriving at our site, I will turn off the water pump, and hook up the city water line. In the morning we are greeted to a large puddle of water leaking from the Low Point Drain. I will typically turn the water pump on, and drain water from the fresh tank until the leak stops. After that I won't have an issue for the rest of the camping trip. I should mention I do not have this issue if I do not hook up the City line. The dealer took a look at it and said they do not see any issues with the water lines.

Has anyone else experienced this and perhaps solved it? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!
timo123z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Are you sure it's a low point drain and not the fresh water tank drain? The problem may be that your back flow valve is stuck open and the city water is filling up your fresh water tank. It may also be filling up your tank and coming out the vent tube. Does this drain have a cap on it? Does the cap have the rubber seal inside it. Sometimes when draining the lines the seal will stick to the line and not come off with the cap, then when draining it will fall off line and become lost if you don't know to look for it.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

Hi AquaMan

This drain does not have a cap on it. It looks like it is just wrapped with black tape. I am assuming it is the Low Point Drain as it is located right where the outside label is.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
from Cali

It sounds like the freshwater tank overflow hose. Mine is a clear plastic hose that comes out the bottom at the Lowpoint sign. The black electrical tape holds on a small screen to keep the critters from climbing up into the tank. I'm currently replacing my tubing with some added loupes to prevent the overflow from siphoning my fresh water tank.
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo123z View Post
Hi AquaMan

This drain does not have a cap on it. It looks like it is just wrapped with black tape. I am assuming it is the Low Point Drain as it is located right where the outside label is.
Is this the only drain tube without a cap? What color is the tube? Your low point drains will most likely be blue and red. The low point drains may not have caps on them if you have valves located inside a cabinet. If we know exactly which line we're talking about, I'm sure we'll have a fix for you.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Is this the only drain tube without a cap? What color is the tube? Your low point drains will most likely be blue and red. The low point drains may not have caps on them if you have valves located inside a cabinet. If we know exactly which line we're talking about, I'm sure we'll have a fix for you.
I'll take a photo and post it tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
from Cali

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1455061810.196798.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	99284

There should be three outlets. Two are capped. The open one is the drain overflow. Here's what mine look like I took it out today to replace it.

2015 FR3 30DS
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #8

Pretty sure it is the fresh water tank overflow. I had the exact same problems as timo123z. The clear hose is 1" so I just bought 3/4" clear hose and pushed it inside the 1" hose. I then looped the 3/4" hose higher and secured it to the motorhome. Problem fixed. Since there is no water pressure in the hose I just taped the two hoses together after I inserted the 3/4" in the 1". Probably did not even need to tape it.
FR3 Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #9

As FR3 Don and and RV Pilot stated, this looks to be the tank overflow hose, it is the taped hose in the photo. What I don't understand is why it only happened one time on each trip. Once I drained some of the water from the tank, it would not happen for the remainder of the stay (2 additional days each time).

Old 02-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #10

I have an FR3 28ds and what I've experienced is the caps on the other two just need tightening and the leaking stops. Only time I had water come out the third was when a friend connect the city water to the fresh water tank instead (wrong connection) and overflowed the fresh water tank as I didn't think to double check his work.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #11

I don't know if the FR3 has a check valve, or if the water pump IS the check valve when connected to city water hookup. But when your hooked up to city water, I think water is bypassing the water pump/check valve and filling up your water tank until its full and then overflowing. If it were me, I'd take off the plumbing connecting the pump to the water tank, connect to city water and see if water is making its way through the pump. Then you can request a new water pump/rebuild kit...Good luck.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
I don't know if the FR3 has a check valve, or if the water pump IS the check valve when connected to city water hookup. But when your hooked up to city water, I think water is bypassing the water pump/check valve and filling up your water tank until its full and then overflowing. If it were me, I'd take off the plumbing connecting the pump to the water tank, connect to city water and see if water is making its way through the pump. Then you can request a new water pump/rebuild kit...Good luck.
Correct! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #13

Just an update. Camping this weekend and my overflow water hose starting leaking again when I was connected to the main water outlet and after I have extended the hose, looped it and attached it above the tank. So much for my fix. However I shut off the main supply water and just used my pump for a couple showers then turned the main supply water back on and no more leaking from overflow hose. Not using the pump either. Go figure!!!
FR3 Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #14

I'm now having an issue on my current trip with the water pump. When the water pump is on, water cones out the city water port. Looks like I am defintely having valve issues. Back to the dealer on Tuesday.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo123z View Post
I'm now having an issue on my current trip with the water pump. When the water pump is on, water cones out the city water port. Looks like I am defintely having valve issues. Back to the dealer on Tuesday.
Take the screen off the City Water inlet, and press on the back-flow valve in the center to reseat it. Maybe there is some crud preventing it from closing all the way. Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR3 Don View Post
Just an update. Camping this weekend and my overflow water hose starting leaking again when I was connected to the main water outlet and after I have extended the hose, looped it and attached it above the tank. So much for my fix. However I shut off the main supply water and just used my pump for a couple showers then turned the main supply water back on and no more leaking from overflow hose. Not using the pump either. Go figure!!!
What is happening is you just used 10 gallons or whatever from the fresh water tank for showers so now its no longer FULL. Therefore, if there is some leakage, it'll take a while to fill the tank enough to start overflowing again.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
Take the screen off the City Water inlet, and press on the back-flow valve in the center to reseat it. Maybe there is some crud preventing it from closing all the way. Hope that helps.
Thanks KansasFR3. I ended up flushing the city water line which fixed the issue. I was in an all dirt spot and had lots of crud in the connector.

Also found out what happens when you don't dump your grey water before it gets full. That was fun!!!

Tags
drain