Old 07-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #1
main slide cable broken

The cable on my main slide has broken. This results in the slide tipping outward when I extend it. For now, I'm keeping it in. Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm trying to figure out how to get this fixed without sitting around for a month. I'm on a trip with a pretty set itinerary and so can't sit around for weeks in one place. I got the part number from a dealer. Am thinking of ordering the part, having it delivered to me along my route, then scheduling the repair at a dealer along the way.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences with this?

2014 FR3 30DS

BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
main slide cable broken

Oh Barbara
So sorry to here that you have this problem en route. I have a trip to the Berkshires this weekend and a long trip to Wyoming in late July thru August. If I recall your coach has been the bellwether for what to expect and you have had slide issues in the past? I can't for the life of me figure why that cable would snap!

I agree you should try to get the part. Half the wait time at the service center is getting the part. If you show up at a dealer experienced in camper slides with the part your chances are 5 times better of getting squeezed in. Especially if you offer to pay for overtime!

Good luck and keep us posted.

2014 FR330 DS

Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Barbara, for a job like this, you might also want to consider one of those on site repair guys you see advertised the campground maps. The campground hosts should be able to give you a recommendation.
2015 FR3 30DS
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like the first thing I need to do is get the cable repair kit. Then I'll see if a mobile guy can fix it or if I have to take the RV to a service place.

BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Need to check carefully to see what actually happened. I thought I had snapped a cable but what had actually happened was the end fitting had pulled through the frame bracked. Cable was fine. I restrung it with bigger heavier washers and re rigged it myself. Had to pull the belly pan to get to it.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

I'm an accountant and not very mechanically inclined. But as evidenced by the previous post, there are a lot of folks out there that are. I was bailed out of a situation with my new TT at KOA in Cannonville, Ut several years ago. What made it work was two fellows that were mechanically inclined and the extensive set of tools that my son gave me the previous Christmas. Moral to the story: stop by Lowes or Home Depot and get the largest set of tools available. ie big socket set and the like. There will be someone out there that know how to use them.
Phil & Carla Kenley
2014 Rockwood ROO 21ss
2013 Ford 150 Platinum Crew Cab

(Looking at the Georgetown 329DS)
Nights camped in 2011/16; 2012/15; 2013/48;
2014/10; 2015/101 2016/55 yr to date
pkenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
I think you have the BAL Accuslide system on your coach. Its an 8 cable system on which 4 cables pull the slide in and 4 cables pull the slide out. They normally break because of cable misallignment. You are right about the part being the first thing to get. I couldn't find a mobile repair or Camping World that had one. They are about $30 on Ebay. The repair labor could be anywhere from $200 to $800 depending on complexity. I have repaired one myself with the help of Youtube videos.

kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote