Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Massive Rock Hits to Windshield

My family and I had just left my DW's Mother's place in ND this past Saturday.
On a small two lane highway, we met a ND DOT gravel semi that was doing about 70 mph. He must of had his hopper door a little open because he was spraying rocks like crazy. Our windshield took about 8 huge hits causing 3 decent sized spider cracks and a crack that starts at the window edge below the drivers wiper and goes up about 8 inches. Wow that was startling!
That DOT driver would have killed a motorcyclist for sure.

So I'll be contacting our insurance about that. Is a windshield usually covered under comprehensive on insurance?

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

I don't think so, but I think it just depends on your insurance/state you live in. We have Progressive which has the option to have a $0 deductible for windshield replacement. We opted for that just in case. I hope you find some good news though!
Old 08-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Probably no hope that you have any details about the DOT vehicle to report it huh? Date....time...location...direction...vehicle details?

When there's that much falling out, he's obviously not aware of his load being secured for the safety of anyone else.
Ever seen a good looking, well maintained dump truck?

Not gonna happen.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickem66 View Post
On a small two lane highway, we met a ND DOT gravel semi that was doing about 70 mph. He must of had his hopper door a little open because he was spraying rocks like crazy. Our windshield took about 8 huge hits causing 3 decent sized spider cracks and a crack that starts at the window edge below the drivers wiper and goes up about 8 inches. Wow that was startling!

So I'll be contacting our insurance about that. Is a windshield usually covered under comprehensive on insurance?
We have Allied Insurance and they did cover the windshield replacement with a deductible.
I'd also be going after the DOT and filing a claim with them.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #5

Wow!

Keep us posted on the replacement!

Geico in Florida it is covered no deductible...
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

Our windshield is covered through State Farm.

But I would definitely call the North Dakota DOT and complain. There are rocks that get thrown up by tires (act of God) and rocks being sprayed about by a DOT truck (negligence). I'd call the DOT, tell them the time and the place of the incident, describe the truck and tell them that you expect the state to pay for the damage. From what you described, I wouldn't be surprised if they had other complaints.

Good luck.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

Insurance usually covers it.

But feel lucky that your state even requires gravel trucks to cover their loads. For years, the "Gravel Truck Lobby" (I'm NOT making this up) in this state has blocked any attempt to require covered loads. So Safelite makes a living around here.

I made it about 3.303492 miles towards Goshen when a rock solidly hit in middle of the windshield of my Behemoth. I'm tired of turning in claims, so I'll wait till it spiderwebs so badly that I can't see.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
Wow!

Keep us posted on the replacement!

Geico in Florida it is covered no deductible...
Mandated by Florida state law all insured with comprehensive coverage, no deductible
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
Canadian Contingent

Hope you don't have to pay a deductible for each rock hit as each is a separate occurrence! LOL

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #10

Good luck with trying to get DOT to assist, or a claim against anyone, other than your insurance. You would need the trucks tag number and probably a video to maybe and I mean maybe prove anything.

Good Luck.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Good luck with trying to get DOT to assist, or a claim against anyone, other than your insurance. You would need the trucks tag number and probably a video to maybe and I mean maybe prove anything.

Good Luck.
That's what I figure too. My MIL found out what company has been contracted to do that road work in that area but I doubt anything can be done. I'll pass that info on to my insurance and let them run that rabbit hole if they choose. I talked to my insurance yesterday and I have a $250 deductible so I'll take it, I guess.
Just glad I was not on a motorcycle when that truck met me!

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

Good Luck.
Just one of MANY reasons I'm getting a video camera for my MH. Video silences many doubters.

Hope the OP can recover his deductible.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Think the name of the thread should have been "Massive amount of rocks hit windshield" as a massive rock would have taken the windshield OUT.

Sorry for your misfortune, hope the insurance co. takes care of it.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, in every state I have ever lived in
Old 08-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #15

I had a large semi truck kick up a rock and crack the windshield on my Solera last year. The crack enlarged very quickly and I needed to have the windshield replaced. Safelite Glass came to my camp site in the Los Angeles area and replaced my windshield. I didn't go thru my insurance co when I was realized that it wouldn't cost that much to replace. I don't remember the amount, but it was less than $300. Safelite is nation wide I believe.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #16

Quote:

That's Crazy.....Sorry for your damage. This is where a dash cam would come in handy.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Think the name of the thread should have been "Massive amount of rocks hit windshield" as a massive rock would have taken the windshield OUT.

Sorry for your misfortune, hope the insurance co. takes care of it.
LOL that's funny.

One of my word pet peeves is the misuse of Fewer/More and Less/More! What they needed was FEWER rocks!!! LESS rocks would have also been good if they could get them small enough (sand?)!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #18

I have a friend who owns a pretty good sized construction company here in AR..we have talked about that. They are pretty diligent about sweeping the rear of the truck...I wonder why??? This wasn't the case here obviously, but you have to "prove" it came from the truck and not the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #19

Happened to us in Illinois last year. Big dump truck in a hurry passed us and left us a present on our windshield. Our insurance covered it under the comprehensive part.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #20

FYI. Windshield repair/replacement may count as an insurance claim. It did for us in Florida - true, no deductible but a claim. Had insurance through Good Sam dropped them after 2 yrs- yr 2 raised 10% this yr 40% with no incidence or tickets other than windshield on car. In search for new insurance more than 1 company told us we had previous claim for under $400- "the windshield".
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote

« Ford | Ask A Rep »