Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #21
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by progolfer View Post
Progolfer here: Could someone please give me some suggestions on what type of material or what to rest the tires on when storing the FR3 during the winter. I will have it in my cement driveway. All replies are appreciated. Great RVing to everyone.
Pro golfer......hope the years learning curve with. Camping has been good....lots of ideas on here....fir also works.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #22
Dryflycaster

I've used two double stacked 2 x10's (Pressure Treated) for the last couple of years for the TT and they have worked out great. Besides they were laying around doing nothing from a previous project. The top piece is a little shorter than the bottom to make it easier for the tire to climb on without hitting it and pushing it along the ground. A couple of deck screws to hold them together and it's good to go. Make sure to drive the deck screws in far enough that they don't stick up above the surface I've done the same with the Motocross trailer with no problems for the last 10 years or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT Storage Ramp_2.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	85101  

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #23
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflycaster View Post
I've used two double stacked 2 x10's .... The top piece is a little shorter than the bottom to make it easier for the tire to climb on without hitting it and pushing it along the ground...
Also if you cut the ends off at an angle, like a little ramp, that makes life easier, too. I have 4 or 5 boards on my low side, so I need all the help I can get to climb up on there.

And no one has mentioned that the tire tread should NEVER NEVER overhang the edge of the leveling boards. That will ruin the tire in short order, leading to catastrophic failure. Check to make sure your tires are in the middle of the boards.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #24

I just sit on the concrete floor but once a month I go out and start the generation and the engine and let them run for about 10 minutes then drive it forward 1/4 turn of the tires for it don't set in the same spot for the winter.
blacktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #25

rubberized horse stall mat

In reply to your quest for material for your tires to rest on during off season, I have been using rubberized horse stall mat. I take one sheet (4' X 6') and cut it into 6" wide strips several being 2' long , several 3' long( there is enough for 2 trailers here). I simply lay the material on the ground and roll the trailer up on to it.
This mat also doubles as a trailer leveler when camping.
they are a little heavier than most other woods but,
they dont retain water
they dont rot,
they stack easy,
they dont slip when stacked,
trailer tires do not slip off when wet,
they store quite easy in the back of the truck box.
cost = 45$ or 22.50 $ per trailer.
good enough for the horse , good enough for the trailer!
ciszzco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #26

2 x 6' painted planks 4' long (8" cut in half and cut @ 45*)
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tire, tires, winter