Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Motor oil

I am having someone change the motor oil in my FR3 and cannot find anywhere in my paperwork what kind of oil to use and how many quarts. Also need to know the air filer type. Where do I look for this info. Thanks.
Jeanne
angelicashelties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

It will be in your Ford Owners Manual under specifications. It's the same kind of book you get when you buy a new car. If you can't find your owners manual you can see it on line here.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...s/sitemap.html

Look for F-53 Motorhome Chassis for your year.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicashelties View Post
I am having someone change the motor oil in my FR3 and cannot find anywhere in my paperwork what kind of oil to use and how many quarts. Also need to know the air filer type. Where do I look for this info. Thanks.
Jeanne

THIS is the recommended oil filter.

5W20 premium synthetic between 6 and 7 quarts. Probably want to get all quart containers because of the refill location...

Pick up a grease gun and lube your chassis steering linkage according to this chart

And why not change oil in you generator as well? (no filter, at least not on mine, Onan 4000QG) and I am in South Florida I put 1.5 quarts of premium synthetic SAE-30.
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #4

5w-20 synthetic. I like the Pennzoil Platinum. Usually takes 6.5 quarts for mine.

FL-820S filter.

You can buy the 5qt jugs, but youll need to use a transfer pump as previously mentioned. The spout location is less than ideal.

Changing the oil in the genset happens at the same time. Mine is usually a once a year change, and I run Rotella T6 5w-40 in the genset.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the great info.
Jeanne
angelicashelties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:32 AM   #6

I just changed the oil in my Forester that has the E-450 V-10 6.8 L. Exactly 6qts in mine... but I heard anywhere to 6 to 7 qts. Mobile1 full synthetic. The dealers use a blend from what I hear.. Good luck..

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
wvufan1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:09 AM   #7

On my 2014 V-10, Ford recommends Ford Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20, Oil Filter is a Motorcraft FL-820-S, Ford P/N F1AZ-6731-BD FL-820S.

Walmart carries 5 qt jugs and then buy another quart. Mines takes about 7 quarts though. Start out with 6 and then top it off.

If you want to make it really easy NEXT TIME, get a Fumoto valve and replace the plug.
Next time all you need is a small hose and a couple of gallon jugs. The oil filter, however, holds oil no matter what you do although it is at least vertical.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
5w-20 synthetic. I like the Pennzoil Platinum. Usually takes 6.5 quarts for mine.

FL-820S filter.

You can buy the 5qt jugs, but youll need to use a transfer pump as previously mentioned. The spout location is less than ideal.

Changing the oil in the genset happens at the same time. Mine is usually a once a year change, and I run Rotella T6 5w-40 in the genset.

I bought 5-20 and when I went to change it the filler tube cap said 5-30 so off I go and got 7 liters...changed both oil and filter...tried a hand pump to pump oil in got fed up with the slow pump and cut off a litre bottle and used that as a funnel.
lazbo is offline   Reply With Quote