Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Mystery leak from outside the shower...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5270.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	151221

Hi y'all, we have a 2015 30DS that we bought summer of 16.

This doesn't happen every time but has been happening more frequently. I snapped this shot once I'd toweled off the floor because it was a PUDDLE and had soaked through the bath mat, and was threatening further violence.

The general green circled area is where we first started noticing a leak springing, but now the area circled in pink is also affected. Unclear the true origin of the puddle as we notice after the shower, but we've removed the cover to the access point and have checked to the best of our ability and it was dry under the shower. No idea how this puddle is forming or why, especially with the area under the shower being dry.

There does seem to be a direct correlation with puddle size and shower length. We have one of those shower heads with a button to stop/start the water without futzing with the handles. The previous owner installed it and this has only become an issue over the last few months.
MaybzNDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #2

On the bedroom side of the shower wall there is an access panel. Behind it, are the connections for the shower faucet. I recently replaced the shower faucet on my '30DS, and found the connections very loose. If you have a leak there it might cause exactly what you are describing, it would be easy to check by removing four screws in the panel and checking the faucet connections.
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogq View Post
On the bedroom side of the shower wall there is an access panel. Behind it, are the connections for the shower faucet. I recently replaced the shower faucet on my '30DS, and found the connections very loose. If you have a leak there it might cause exactly what you are describing, it would be easy to check by removing four screws in the panel and checking the faucet connections.

Excellent! We will check this tomorrow for sure.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:40 AM   #4

We had to put more silicone where the shower door meets the shower pan. Had water in the same area as you. Have someone stand in the shower because it flexes the pan. Then put silicone where door track meets the pan. Also look in the track itself in the corner. It may need silicone too.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #5

Ditto Hogq's comment. Between that connection in the wall or the P-trap in the access hole are the only locations I'd know to check. Otherwise its leaking out the corner of the door/curtain.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
HDU

If you find that the above suggestions do not cure your problem, you may want to look at the actual door frame as a possible culprit. My shower leaked in the very same areas of your markings, and it turned out to be the seam in each of the bottom corners of the aluminum frame in which the shower door is installed. By seam, I mean where the vertical side frame meets the horizontal bottom frame on the right and the left side of the door. The water would wick though the seam, and travel horizontally along the outside of the shower base (where the glass meets the base) and then run down the corner of the wall onto the floor of the bathroom/bedroom. Simply caulk the right and left bottom corner aluminum seams to prevent water from getting to the outside of the shower, and ours has not leaked since.
HDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #7

My p-trap pipe from the drain had been cut too short. I bought a new length at Lowes and cut it so it wasn't under stran. The new pipe was about 2" longer than the old after ensuring I had adequate slope.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #8

Hogq you were right as to where the problem is but nothing was loose. David hand-tightened it but nothing felt loose. He checked while I was in the shower tonight and the entire hot water connection was wet. We will continue to investigate this, but that's the definitely the source.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #9

I'm thinking that the simplest fix could be that you need a bit of plumbers putty to seal the faucet to the shower wall. Or the plastic faucet may have a crack in the nipple that the hot water line threads onto. If so, I would be glad to give you the OEM faucet that I just replaced (I'll never use it). It was not leaking when I replaced it. I went with a metal faucet replacement.
Also, the female threaded connector may have a crack in it also... or maybe even a pinhole in the PEX hot water line.
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogq View Post
I'm thinking that the simplest fix could be that you need a bit of plumbers putty to seal the faucet to the shower wall. Or the plastic faucet may have a crack in the nipple that the hot water line threads onto. If so, I would be glad to give you the OEM faucet that I just replaced (I'll never use it). It was not leaking when I replaced it. I went with a metal faucet replacement.
Also, the female threaded connector may have a crack in it also... or maybe even a pinhole in the PEX hot water line.

That's really kind of you, but we are currently in Newfoundland so I don't know how we'd be able to get it from you for now. Haha

In the meantime, we will look into these further detailed problem points.

Tags
leak, show, shower