Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Need a new propane regulator/general service gripes...

1. I had contacted my dealer to have the water tank repair done. Ive been waiting almost 6 weeks for my appointment, which is the first of October because Im tired of having my fresh tank siphon itself dry. This is more my frustration until...

2. We took the RV to Ocean Lakes this weekend. I had previously filled the propane tank before Nationals because it was at 1/2 and I had anticipated not having a power tap and running the fridge on propane. We came back from Ocean Lakes with an empty propane tank because the regulator is VISIBLY venting propane. Called the dealer, can this be tackled on my upcoming service appointment? NOPE.

I fully intend to call Forest River tomorrow. I know part of this is on the dealer, but waiting almost 8 weeks for a service appointment and their refusal to not replace a $25 part leaving me without heat, hot water, and a fridge at my next two races in October is absolutely unacceptable.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #2

I hope that getting Forest River involved will help get your RV fixed right away. It sounds like a leaking propane tank could be a safety issue and should be the number one priority of any repair shop

Do you have the direct numbers that have been posted here? The only one I can give you is to the head of sales, Mike Hums. Maybe he can help you reach the right person. (574) 532-1240.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 09-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #3

I had a problem and here is what my dealer did for me...

Was checking the level in my tanks and battery and hit the wrong button. It showed that my battery was at 0, but I was reading the label wrong. It was actually the propane level. I had bought the unit in Feb and this was June. The dealer had filled it and I picked the unit up in March. I used it once for about 30 mins, so I was puzzled as to why it was at zero. Dealer said to bring it in for a test to see if I had a defective regulator. I did and they found a cracked regulator. The tec that replaced it said that some times in the winter filling it too fast breaks them. The dealer replaced it on the spot and filled the 25 gallon tank. NO CHARGE to me. Great dealer service. Hope you do as well as I did...
Old 09-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #4

Had mine in to fix a broken stair bolt and noted to dealer that the propane valve required super human strength to turn. They tried it and agreed. Valve was replaced while it was in getting stairs. Total time at dealer for repairs 2 weeks this included getting parts FR. Sounds like your dealer is the issue. FR was fast and so was my dealer in St. Louis.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
2012 Solera

If it were me, I would fix the issues myself or take the vehicle to an independent repair facility and have them fix it. These sound like fairly minor issues - propane regulator and re-route the fresh water vent. I would not let this type of issue get in the way of enjoying the MH. After getting them fixed and paying "out-of=pocket", I would send the receipts - with a nice letter explaining the dealer "scheduling issue" - to FR and request reimbursement. Not a lot of money if they refuse, and I believe they are generally receptive.
Just my opinion. Good luck.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

FR has been great about helping me get into someone else to get it fixed. Its the lack of quality dealers thats killing me, as I basically have two options, both of which are awful.

I did talk to FR about going to an independent from here on out. I know the owners and theyre more than willing to help me out, but theyre not a FR service center. So basically Id have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed as long as FR authorized the repair. I think I could live with that...
Old 10-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #7

Picked up my used 2014 30ds on Wednesday and found the dealer Campers Inn filled the LP and gas tank! Next day found the LP regulator vent leaking. Brought it back and they replaced it with no questions asked. I was very impressed as the used coach was purchased with no warranty. this coach had 1200 miles on it. I asked the gas tech what causes this and he said they just let loose some time.

I wonder if FR got a bad batch on the early models?

And on day one I called Dometic about my model 300 toilet that currently appears to work fine and gave them the sn. They are sending me a new toilet as it is part of the recall.

I'm waiting for the stairs (Lippet) to break next. But overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
Picked up my used 2014 30ds on Wednesday and found the dealer Campers Inn filled the LP and gas tank! Next day found the LP regulator vent leaking. Brought it back and they replaced it with no questions asked. I was very impressed as the used coach was purchased with no warranty. this coach had 1200 miles on it. I asked the gas tech what causes this and he said they just let loose some time.

I wonder if FR got a bad batch on the early models?

And on day one I called Dometic about my model 300 toilet that currently appears to work fine and gave them the sn. They are sending me a new toilet as it is part of the recall.

I'm waiting for the stairs (Lippet) to break next. But overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
So you are aware of the "occasional" Lippert stairs failure? If you are steadfast at keeping them lubricated and even more important keeping the bolting tight, they will last a lot longer. Especially the ball joint shaft that transmits the rotary motion to the linear motion (pushes steps in/out). That bolt will shear in no time if allowed to get loose.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

The LP regulator is fairly straight forward. A couple of small wrenches and some gas pipe sealer. I would rate it at two o five stars. Dish soap and water in a squirt gun, sprayed on the connections will tell you if its a tight seal..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #10

Yes Vince
I've re wired around the step magnet so I can force them to stay in. This is essential where I park at home because of the uneven ground. Unless the coach jacks are engaged the bottom step digs in and could get stuck. Being able to disable the extend will lengthen the life. I hope.

I'll keep my eyes on the bolts and lube the gear.

Honestly I was thinking of taking off the bottom step all together.

Tags
propane, service