Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Need Help Please

I have a 2014 FR3 with 12000 miles and I am stuck in the mountains in CO. The problem is the engine has started to surge when under load. It has been fine until today. Just wondering could I have filled it up with some bad gas on my last fill up? Didn't notice any problems until then. Please, any suggestions ASAP on what could be causing the problem. Thanks
Mr J
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #2

Warning/check light?

I would run a couple of bottles of gas treatment.

When was the air filter serviced last?
Old 09-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #3

Sounds like a fuel issue. Have the tank sucked out, and refilled. If it's a bad fuel issue, thats your essiest way out.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #4

Try Lucas gas treatment from Walmart, worked extremely well for me after getting bad gas!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_7265-20150724_214101_resized-635856890.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	89387  
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

No warning lights or error messages. Have a full tank of gas, unfortunately. Bought enough gas additive at a station just outside of a state park. Will add it as soon as I get parked. Checked air filter, could be replaced. Took the air filter out to see if it would help, didn't so put it back in.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #6

Is the generator acting up too?
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Look for pinched wires near fuel pump or on wire bundle to fuel pump. Mine pinched a wire but the fuse blew so it was easy to find.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
No warning lights or error messages. Have a full tank of gas, unfortunately. Bought enough gas additive at a station just outside of a state park. Will add it as soon as I get parked. Checked air filter, could be replaced. Took the air filter out to see if it would help, didn't so put it back in.
If, and I say if you received substandard fuel causing your issue, the "miracle" additives in a bottle, won't make the crap introduced into your gas tank "burn". Since you don't really know what the cause is, but according to you, it started immediately after you fueled up, it's a logical assumption it might be the fuel. Can you contact the gas station and explain to them you're having difficulty. That way if you do find out it was substandard fuel, they may be receptive to reimbursing you for the expense to clear the tank.

By chance, was there a fuel truck dropping a load at the time you were filling up. Also, the fuel station can dip their tanks and check to see if there is crap at the bottom of their storage tanks. You could politely insist on it, that will get you headed in the right direction, if they find anything.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #9

A good fuel additive will increase the octane, absorb the water and finally make your engine run better. The cheap stuff will only add some octane.
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #10

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Will check them out.