Old 06-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
2018 FR3 30DS

new 2018 FR3 30ds

Moved up from a 2015 Solera to a 2018 FR3 30ds couple of weeks ago. I have a couple of questions. This rv is 50 amps. We have the Norcold 2118T 18 cu. ft. refrigerator/freezer. Not sure if this is a problem or just the way these units operate. Ice crystals form on the back wall of the freezer even though it's just sitting running and also the freezer temperature is at 4 degrees constant. Is this normal?
Second question. This is my first 50 amp rig so I need a little help about when we camp in places w/only 30 amps. Can I use a 30 to 50 amp cord and then act like the rv is only 30 amps? Also, I have a Progessive Industries EMS30 surge protector. Is it useable when setting up with the 30 to 50 amp cord?
We really like this rig. It has all a body needs for good times camping/tailgating/etc.
Thanks

Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:05 AM   #2

New 30DS

We routinely plug our 2017 30DS with 50 amp system into 30 amp. We are traveling thru Cananda and Alaska now and found 15/20 & 30 amp is a common standard. It will work fine with the proper adapters. We use a surge protector also with no issues. Just have to manage power requirements. Don't try to run both A/C units. You may have to put your frig on gas while using the microwave and A/C. Your hot water heater is also using power.

We have our frig set on 6 and are now getting a thin layer of frost on the back wall after a month on the road. We have not experienced your situation in the short period of time you mentioned.

Hope this helps.
GT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3