Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #1

New or used? What would u do?

So i have a choice between a used 2014 30 DS and a new one for $14,000 more.

I live in New England and am technically handy with electromechanical stuff.
While shopping I've read this entire message board and knew what look for.

The 2014 has only 1200 miles on it being sold as used. The dealer tells me original mfg warranty will not apply as it is not transferable.

The used 2014 Findings.
It's got the 1300 ac not 1500
Its got the original power steps hat will likely break a bolt or pop a rivet.
It's got the bad 300 toilet not the 310. Assuming all 300s are bad?
It's got no shore powered coil Heater element the water heater. IE. no flip switch outside In the panel. This is a feature I've used a lot in my tow behind to save propane.
Remarkably it has the upgraded shower curtain.
Unfortunately carpet in the cockpit and bedroom
No drawers under the dinette but using suggestions hear I can make hinged doors on the top.
No led light upgrade. But honestly as I only dry camp twice year that's not an issue to me.

Unknown chances I take:
Bad bed room slide gears with teeth that will break? Probably.
P trap loop to solve siphon problem. No. But I can easily fit that.

Most importantly the unknown status of the "house" systems. If I buy the used coach and discover other repairs that ,
Many of you had a chance to get fixed under warranty, I won't have A warranty. IE I fear the original owners may not have discovered bad reported and corrected known manufacturer defects.

I know I will upgrade the steps and toilet myself. These are things I will not wait to see if they smell or break. Around approx $1200. What worries me is the slide out in the bed room!

Given these facts.what would you do? Buy new with mfg warranty ? Or buy used without. As I am handy and know what to look for, I'm leaning towards the used coach. And possibly purchasing a n extended warranty whither the savings.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

IMHO - unless you're getting a sweetheart deal on a unit that's in really good condition, I'd go with a new one for all the reasons you listed. Dad told me that somebody got rid of that car/truck/camper/motorcycle/etc. for a reason.....and you're going to find out what that reason was AFTER you buy it

Good luck!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

For $14K you could afford to either do or have done most repairs that may come along. The A/C could be up graded for $1K +or- before recouping part of the cost my selling the old unit.

Sounds like you have educated yourself as to what to expect may go wrong. Which means that you also have read some horror stories about dealer service, follow though, and time taken to repair under warranty claims. If you don't have this warranty you would be free to take care of things your self or at least to a repair facility of your choosing.

Or as you mentioned you could purchased an extended warranty.

Another thing about buying used for $14,000 less is that you also save the taxes you would have to pay on that extra $14K for buying new.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
IMHO - unless you're getting a sweetheart deal on a unit that's in really good condition, I'd go with a new one for all the reasons you listed. Dad told me that somebody got rid of that car/truck/camper/motorcycle/etc. for a reason.....and you're going to find out what that reason was AFTER you buy it
Good luck!
I used to feel that same way. However when it comes to RVs and more so motorhomes there are so many that get purchased on the spur of the moment or to fulfill a bucket list dream of the original owner. However, many first time owners don't think a head as to what all is involved in camping, maintenance, a place to park or store the RV, and least of all dumping the black water tank.

Could also be that the original owner found out that the monthly payments that he knew he could handle don't fit into the family budget once numbers on scratch paper turn into numbers in the check book.

Of course, it could also boil down to the original owner did use the RV and got tired of dealing with warranty and or quality control issues.

So it's not really a crap shoot, if you research what you may face in cost/repairs/expectations. But as the saying goes, sometimes a flush beats a full house........at least in the plumbing business end.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #5

The A/C is held on by 4 bolts and lifts right off though not exactly lite.
The 15000 is just over $650 if you shop. You could save the 13000 for a second A/C in rear. The steps also about $650 also bolts right in. They are same gears in slides. The 14 is a queen bed so less stressful on gears. My theory is though bad design and weak gears the prime problem with the gears is something in the way like folding bed in the 25 or holding the switch to long after hitting end of travel. Test drive the hell out of the used one and if systems work and nothing is broken you might be better off. The real problem is dealers only want to sell new ones and never fix anything. Run the Vin and talk to original owner. Good luck with what ever you choose.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFR3 View Post
The A/C is held on by 4 bolts and lifts right off though not exactly lite.
The 15000 is just over $650 if you shop. You could save the 13000 for a second A/C in rear. The steps also about $650 also bolts right in. .

Wow I never thought about repurposing the 1300 ac unit in the back! Brilliant! My wife likes it cold in bed! And we are almost always at a 30A park. And it would replace the power fan upgrade I would have done anyway back there.

Thanks....
I'd have to get brave before cutting the hole for the second AC in the back..but I would have the hole from the old unit to use as a template!
Now, what do you suppose the draw of running both ac at once would be?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #7

Hello. I love the quest for a new RV... it is fun. IMHO A lot of people here complain about service...Some don't I know... It's a crap-shoot on "good vs crappy" dealer and RV... that being said. You will already lose the "beginning" depreciation on the RV, so its already a gain. I bought used and would do it again, but I am TIGHT(almost like a was a depression child). I save where I can and spend where I need to. I feel I got my monies worth when I bought...so I am happy. I might add..the previous owner of mine was OCD...I wasn't scared at all. He told me of two or three issues..and offered to fix, but that meant a week or two to repair and possible "mind-change" from the seller at the reduced price...or a returning counter offer from another buyer. JS
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
Wow I never thought about repurposing the 1300 ac unit in the back! Brilliant! My wife likes it cold in bed! And we are almost always at a 30A park. And it would replace the power fan upgrade I would have done anyway back there.

Thanks....
I'd have to get brave before cutting the hole for the second AC in the back..but I would have the hole from the old unit to use as a template!
Now, what do you suppose the draw of running both ac at once would be?
Actually, if you now have a vent or power fan in the bedroom ceiling the AC will drop right in that opening with out any further mods required. The run a power cord down and exit through the floor where you can plug in the second AC into the 15/20 amp receptacle next to the 30amp power receptacle and you will be able to run both a/c units while on shore power.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #9

Point to consider:
Buy the used RV, save $14K
Fix all the low hanging fruit (i.e. easy & cheap - like the A/C) - $1-2K
Reserve a spot for FROG Goshen 2015 - say $1K for reservation + fuel ect.
Get Forest River to fix all the big ticket items for *free* at the rally

Pocket the remaining $11Kto be used for future RV trips
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

Warranty

Regarding the warranty, no Forest River warranty is one thing, but I'll bet the Ford chassis warranty is transferable.
Albert1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #11

By the way, the flooring extends all the way under the carpet in the bedroom. All you have to do is pull up the carpet and you've got the flooring. It only extends to the front of the 'hump' in the cockpit. I didn't like the carpet, so I had flooring extended throughout cockpit and on slide.

Barbara
2014 30DS FR3
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Point to consider:

I read about FROG rally but didn't think they would perform repairs,on site for free. Just thought it was seminars on how to flush winterize. How to change oil and maintain your generator and basic stuff like that. I can't believe FR would replace be drive motors for free on site.

But if they so it would be ell worth the endorsement on social media I would provide them.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #13

Who knew about the wood flooring going all the way back! That's another splendid hint. Just peel up the carpet out back. It makes sense that in the factory they would run the flooring all the way back.

Thanks for all the info. I'm feeling better about the mods that must be made to buy the 2014 used 30 DS and have confirmed the Ford chassis warranty is transferable in multiple years.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #14

FR replaced all the slide motors on the FR3s at this years rally

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Gem Hunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Point to consider:

Best advise above. Go with the '14.

And as a bonus, think of all the great people you will meet.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #16

If you buy used, the dealer may give you a great deal on moving the A/C and adding the larger unit. Just tell them how important it is to you, in order to close the deal.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #17

Heck skip all that and buy a new one you only live once.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #18

Also the the Dometic toilet will be replaced by Dometic regardless of who owned warrenty. Just contact them and givethem your model/ serial off toilet...bam you get a new one as these were recalled.

I bought mine new and have had major round of slide broke...then quite a few little things. Nowafter 6 months and 7k milesits going back in und warranty.....had to cut a bent jack leg off this past weekend with a hack saw. If you are unlucky like i was you can extend jacks and they do not have a hard stop....they can literally extend to the point you cannot raise them with hydraulics. After several long calls to coach net...JOEyou were great...i ended up with 3 of the 4 jacks up andoperational and 1 that had extended to the point it bent. What a horrible ordeal. Anyways....its an RV there will be problems but $14k will fix a whole lot of things.

For reference i paid $77k for my 2014 25DS. The 30's run a little more buti would think you might well get it for $70 or less which is a steal. Dont pay the ($89 - $100+k) ive seen some dealers ask. Check RTV.com for prices across the country.

Good luck and hope to see you on the road and at the campgrounds!
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #19

Do you have an additional savings in sales tax by buying used (from a private seller)? In AZ that would be a huge saving.

After this first purchase of a new one I would recommend a used one. With an aftermarket warranty. A lot of the initial troubles have been shaken out and you have an extra $14,000 in your pocket. You may also be able to get FR to take care of future broken slides with some pressure given the frequency of problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #20

Thanks thank thanks to all who responded.
We looked again at the used 2014 FR30 DS today. A new discovery! Previous owners had a Wineguard stationary sat installed. Ca Ching! I discovered a low cost upgrade that will enable the dome to be converted to in motion for under $400. I'll have to add an inverter to run the TV and Dish receiver (used in our TT with a Carry out).

So we Purchased the MH today for pick up Wednesday.

Also discovered this 2014 did not have power mirrors! but I after the test drive I don't think it will be an issue.
Anyone know if the harness might be pre wired for PWR mirrors?

Barbara is absolutely right about the location of the back up cam monitor. And I plan to copy her mod on that first thing. Well right after I make sure the toilet is replaced!